We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Snowdrop Book  (Read 5372 times)

ichristie

• Former President
New Snowdrop Book
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
I hear you all saying 'Not another snowdrop book' I was very concerned when the author Freda Cox approached me for help with this new book A Gardener's Guide to Snowdrops printed by The Crowood press  no 97818479754 tel 01672520280.  I thought Oh No soon we will have as many books as snowdrops however a copy of this book arrived this week and I must say that what I have seen so far is very impressive indeed, the book comprises several sections , introduction descriptions snowdrop species cultivation, propagation,  creating a snowdrop garden. I am very pleased to see also some very detailed drawings, leaf shapes flower shapes and segment markings, some superb descriptions of the snowdrop flower and it's parts. I am amazed at the incredibly detailed drawings in the Snowdrop directory section some 80 pages each with around 10 drawings in alphabetical order WOW I will take ages to get through these. At £35 this is indeed a valuable addition to the genus Galanthus books everyone has a different approach for me this is  well worth the asking price,   cheers Ian the Christie kind
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:42:29 AM by Maggi Young »
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New Snowdrop Book
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
Good price to be had for it on Amazon : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardeners-Guide-Snowdrops-Freda-Cox/dp/1847974759  - £21.70 delivered.

A Gardener's Guide to Snowdrops  - Freda Cox

Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: The Crowood Press Ltd (29 Aug 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1847974759
ISBN-13: 978-1847974754
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:48:14 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

loes

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
Nice book,very beautiful drawings,several new names to me
Nice addition to my other galanthus' books.
Good Christmas gift,( of sinterklaas).
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »
in a small voice can I say - another snowdrop book is being written
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
So it is, Mark. I agree with you.
A book with a lot of place for a lot of little mistakes. ;)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »
The one I'm waiting for is "Snowdrops: They really all look much the same".
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
New Snowdrop Book by Naomi Slade
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
As night follows day, another snowdrop book is published!

The Plant Lover's Guide to Snowdrops
by Naomi Slade   

The author writes about it here :
http://naomislade-electricgreen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/dear-galanthophil.html

and from the Timber Press page :

"Snowdrops with their pure white flowers, intricate markings and understated elegance have become highly collectable winter garden favourites. In this Plant's Lovers Guide, award-winning horticultural journalist and expert author, Naomi Slade recommends a selection of both classic and new cultivars. She focuses on designing with snowdrops in a diverse range of garden setting and alongside companion plants. The book includes an extensive plant list with 100 of the top-performing varieties as well as inspiring, vibrant photography of both snowdrops and gardens featuring them. Naomi also provides useful resources on the best places to see and buy snowdrops to make sure you have everything you need to know about this early spring favourite. "
256 pp, 230 x 205 mm, 227 colour photos, 2 illustrations, hardcover ISBN13 9781604694352

http://www.timberpress.co.uk/books/the-plant-lover-s-guide-to-snowdrops

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »
Maggi,

I have a copy of this book to hand and am impressed by it. While it will offer little to those with a few years growing and collecting behind them it provides a very comprehensive introduction to the new enthusiast. It certainly is not in the league of "Snowdrops, the Monograph" but it certainly be of great use to anybody moving beyond the beginner stage.

It has a good general introductory section which gives a brief overview of snowdrops, a main section which presents a general selection of snowdrops, generally all tried and tested cultivars, a section on cultivation and other smaller sections - gardens to visit, nurseries etc. Sprinkled through the book are interviews with people well known in the snowdrop world.

Overall, a very well written book, very readable, pleasantly presented, well illustrated with good photography and suitable for the enthusiastic beginner. 
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »
Hello Paddy - thank you very much for your opinion of the book -which I value and I think others will too.

:)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 10:17:14 PM »
Thank you, Maggi

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »
Just to do justice to this book - The Plant Lover's Guide to Snowdrops by Naomi Slade - which I have finished reading and because I have been contacted by a few forum members for comment on it: 

It is written by Naomi Slade who has extensive writing experience, many years with Gardening Which – and won three silver-gilt medals at the Chelsea Flower Show in the Science and Education Section while with them. She has also written for The Guardian, The Telegraph, The English Garden and The Garden.  I mention this background because it adds to my enjoyment of a book when the author can actually write well.  Perhaps, it’s an old-age thing or I am just getting grumpier as the years go on but I do enjoy a book more when it is well written. With a degree in biology and a keen interest in gardening and snowdrops in particular it is fair to say the lady knows what she is talking about and communicates this very well.

She begins the book by telling us why she is interested in snowdrops – you hardly need me to expand on this as you are similarly enthusiastic.

The first section of the book, “Designing with the Milk Flower” sets the tone of the book – the author is more interested in snowdrops as a garden plant than as a collection of individuals and suggests snowdrops which will best give an effect in the garden. She discusses the conditions and locations which best suit snowdrops – woodland, under trees and shrubs – and their use as groundcover, in the rock garden and in containers and there is an extensive discussion on companion plants for snowdrops.

`The section “Understanding Snowdrops” covers the general morphology of snowdrops, their taxonomy, origin, trade and conservation followed by a run through the history of our interest in snowdrops, mentioning significant personalities and cultivars along the way.

“A Spotter’s Guide” illustrates, describes and gives the stories of approximately 60 snowdrops, an excellent selection which would do well in most gardens and fitting in with the author’s approach of selecting snowdrops for garden impact rather than for rarity. Though this may seem a small number to the enthusiast it should be mentioned that many other snowdrops are mentioned throughout other sections of the book.

“Growing and Propagating” covers all the practicalities of growing snowdrops comprehensively with attention to selecting and preparing a site, lifting and dividing, propagation and a section on pests and diseases.

“Where to See Snowdrops: Out and About”  lists gardens in Belgium, England, Ireland, the Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the United States and Wales as well as listing snowdrops events and a list of places to buy snowdrops.
Scattered through the book is a series of interviews with snowdrops personalities. These are interesting but I generally don’t like this arrangement as I find it interrupts my reading of the main text. However, they are interesting and worthwhile.

The experts will find little to attract them to this book as it will have little new information for them but I think all others with an interest in snowdrops will find this an excellent book.

Published by Timber Press In association with the Royal Botanic Gardens at  Kew and priced at £17.99 – very good value!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:55:54 PM by Paddy Tobin »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
A Tweeted reply from Naomi Slade to SRGC Tweet of link to review :

Naomi Slade ‏@NaomiSlade 

@ScottishRockGC Thank you for letting me know! And many thanks to Paddy Tobin for his in depth read, considered opinion and kind words.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
Very nice of her!

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
I got today Naomi Slade's book and it looks very inspiring, I like the photos in it. I'm glad I have another book with more cultivars but I am sure I will enjoy this book  very much, and get new ideas how to combine snowdrops with other plants.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
Carolyn Walker has reviewed  Naomi Slade's Snowdrop Book  - complete with kind words about the SRGC Forum 
http://carolynsshadegardens.com/2015/01/14/new-snowdrop-book/       8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal