We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Salvia forskaohlei  (Read 2154 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Salvia forskaohlei
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »
Howdy All,

Well we're three from three for my recent requests for identification, so I'm hoping we'll go to four from four.  This is a Salvia that I have had for a couple of years now.  It forms quite a low "rosette" (pic one, showing the leaves and the base of teh stem etc.  Sorry about the snail trails  ::)) that is about 18 inches or perhaps a bit more wide, with the leaves fairly flat to the ground.  Tall flower stems to a bit over 3 feet (I haven't measured them) which branch as can be seen in the first "flowers" attachment.  The flowers themselves are a lovely purple with a white throat and are around an inch from top to bottom on the face of the flower.  It is rather pretty I must admit, and apparently perennial here.  I am wondering whether it is a species or not, but I am hoping it is as I have a half dozen seedlings coming up nearby that have similar flattened leaf "rosettes" and I am hoping that they will flower the same as this one.  I'd like to spread it around the garden a bit, and share seed of it if I can collect them and they are of any interest to others.  ;D

So..... any ideas as to what species it would be?  I wouldn't even know where to start looking to try to find a name for it, as there are so many Salvias out there, and so many google references it is mind boggling.

Thanks in anticipation everyone.  8)

Edited 1/1/2008 to update subject to reflect identification
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:37:44 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Salvia species
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »
I checked and the leaf spread is a little wider than I thought, plus the flower stem is closer to 4 feet tall rather than 3.  It arches over though, rather than standing up straight.  When stood up straight the highest stem is to 4 feet, with the other branches out to the sides.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
Well Paul, this year seems to end successfull for you in this matter.
I think your plant is Salvia forskaohlei. ( Please don't ask me how to pronounce this terrible name in English, I cannot even in Dutch) ;D. It is familiar with S. pratensis, S. sclarea or S. argentea, so seeds will be no problem. In my country it flowers between June and August.
The leaves will reach about 30 cm. and the flowers appr. 1 meter.
Happy New Year,
Luit
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:47:57 PM »
Luit,

Thank you kindly!!  That was nice and easy.  ;D  I certainly don't recall purchasing a plant by that name, so obviously it came in as something else.  I love it, and it is now great to have a name for it.  The pics on the Net are spot on!!  Thank you!!!!!!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal