We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New NARGS Discussion Forum opens  (Read 2456 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: New NARGS Discussion Forum opens
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »
Mark, hope you will see this, does this mean that the wealth of information and pictures on the old Forum will be lost, I do hope not and I'm still lamenting (as will many others including Maggi) the vast amount of history that was lost forever in the old SRGC Forum. I'm not a Luddite and realise that progress has to be maintained but to me history is a handrail to the future and not a staple to the past.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »
I am almost certain that nothing will be lost in this NARGS upgrade, David. In the same way that nothing was lost when SRGC upgraded our smf forum recently.

The tragedy of the loss of our original forum was that it was on such an old set-up that it would not support any change and so we archived it - it was still available then, but when it was attacked by hackers, we could do nothing to save it but cut it loose, so to speak, to avoid further damage. 
It was similar to trying to use a single bicycle to power to power a 747!

The NARGS situation is not at all like that.   :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »
David - as someone who looks backward to look forward as you say, I had something of the same concerns. Some of the most valuable information on the alpine websites is actually that put on most recently: viz.: the archival material of Journals, the Bulb log and IRG, and individuals like Jim Archibald (which is why I also love books so much). The actual day to day comparing of gardening, sharing experiences, and some of the detailed discussions on plants are immensely valuable, but even more so when they are put together in article format: I would hate to lose the paper copy of the Journals for that reason because they engender a longer view.

Both the SRGC and NARGS websites seem wonderful to me, catering to many different tastes and run by people with great knowledge of plants, but also technical mastery. The great thing though is that if information is lost it can be regained through all the expertise held by all the members, and the Forums quite often revisit plants and places as new people become interested in them. There has been a good deal of discussion and explanation about the changes on the NARGS site, which I found reassuring and helpful.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:08 AM »
The contents of the old NARGS Forum (3 years in operation since Jan 2010) should be fully migrated to the new web-based NARGS Forum version. Being on the far fringe of involvement with the new web site process, I have my concerns, but it has been made clear, the intent is full conversion of the accumulated NARGS Forum data to the new venue.

Earlier I expressed concerns that there may be formatting issues, due to the NARGS inverted color scheme (black background and light color text), that when it gets converted, will the light color text be converted to regular black text on a light background, or will we have legibility/visibility issues with light color imported text on a light background.  I don't know the answer, remains to be seen.

I also believe, that due to the different way image attachments are handled, that there will be issues with the display or positioning of images too, again, it remains to be seen what the issues are.

Tonight, I tried connecting to the old NARGS forum URL, the link should not work, but it connected to the old version of the forum!  I know the old version of the forum will be preserved for a cross-over period of a month or so, but it should not be available for people to post to now, because any new posts will be lost, as they'll be out of synchronization with the "state of the forum" when it was captured and converted to the new web site earlier today (5/12/2013).  I'm rather mystified by the process and paucity of information/coordination on the whole conversion process.

Earlier today I spoke with one of the web developers, and they said that there have been some snags in the conversion, and that NARGS Forum would be down another day (Thu 6/13/2013). I have subsequently inquired about the fact people are now posting to the old NARGS Forum; hope to hear back on that issue.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 03:47:33 AM »
In the void of pertinent information, I took action to turn off the old NARGS Forum because people were posting to it, which will cause synchronization issues with the database imported to the new forum venue earlier today.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
In the void of pertinent information, I took action to turn off the old NARGS Forum because people were posting to it, which will cause synchronization issues with the database imported to the new forum venue earlier today.

Not in any way blaming you Mark or indeed any of the other Forumist moderators but the paucity of information prior to the attempted new Forum installation does seem to me to be a little contemptous. A simple notice saying something like "sorry folks new Forum being installed and we'll be off the air for a bit" was surely possible. The "mushroom management" approach rarely works!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »
....... The "mushroom management" approach rarely works!

David - the government uses this method to run the UK. On second thoughts, maybe this proves your point.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »
will the light color text be converted to regular black text on a light background, or will we have legibility/visibility issues with light color imported text on a light background.  I don't know the answer, remains to be seen.

As one of the people who just cannot get along with the white on black format, I use the NARGS Forum in the setting of this one - but  there is already an issue  with that in that coloured inserts (which may show well enough for those who can use the black background) are pretty much invisible in this setting.

Rather like this
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
Yellow is also a bad colour for people with dyslexia and should be avoided.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
David - the government uses this method to run the UK. On second thoughts, maybe this proves your point.

;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

TheOnionMan

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 01:18:22 PM »
The NARGS web site and NARGS Forum are back open for business (sort of).  The main web site has a number of placeholder pages; areas to be filled out and developed over the next month or longer.

The NARGS Forum is basically operational, but here again, a number of questions, features, instructions, and customizations, need to be addressed to make its usage comparable to what we had previously.  I already have pages of feedback to offer the web developers so that we can get these things sorted out quickly.

The URL is a bit different: "The forum URL is:  https://www.nargs.org/forum

The URL redirection from the previous URL http://www.nargs.org/smf should work, but if it doesn't work, use the new URL shown above.

Login:  you can login at the main NARGS.ORG web page, selecting the login link at the top right of the home page.  Your previous USERNAME and PASSWORD are supposed to have been preserved.  However, if you find that they don't work, use the "Request New Password" option, enter the security "capcha" code that will be displayed, it will send you an email with a link allowing you to reset your password. If using that method, respond to the emailed link quickly, it expires after one day.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:21:14 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »
Thanks for the info, Mark,
I'm now able to gain access with a "new password" - actually the same one I had before the upgrade!
The new format will take a bit of getting used to but anything new takes time.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal