We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trees in parks and gardens 2010  (Read 49906 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Trees in parks and gardens 2010
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2010, 06:18:56 PM »
Fantastic Acacia Fermi, if only they were hardy here :'(  Is the shrub sweetly scented? It is of similar look and "essence" to our ubiquitous Forsythia bushes each spring, only the Acacia is way nicer! The grass is always greener on....

One in bloom for the last couple weeks making quite a spectacle of itself is Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar', smothered in red-violet pea flowers.  A friend gave it to me, so I gave it about 8' x 8' of room, but it has grown to about 10' across in both directions, and 6' tall, although it weeps to looks a bit lower.  I like it so much, I have been tolerating it's overly large size.

1.     Budded up in early September, it has a fine textured appearance.
2-3   The ends of some branches will fasciate, looking like striated ribbons up to 3 cm wide, sprouting an extra abundance of buds.
        Not sure how normal this is.  Often the fasciated stems coil at the end.
4      In full flower :o
5-6   close-up of flowers

I'm pleased, oh so pleased, to announce that this shrub is now drooping and beaten down by two days of non-stop rain... at long last our near 4 month drought is over.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
Wonderful display, Mark.
Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

TheOnionMan

« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
Thanks Paddy,

Keeping with a purple theme, for nearly a month I've been enjoying the berries on Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai', but now it's at that stage where leaves start turning yellow, adding some drama.  With our drought in August, looking at this shrub you would've written it off as a "goner" for this year; completely wilted, but I started watering it with a watering can and lo and behold, it resurrected itself and looks fine.  Lots of seedling plants around the parent are getting sizable, must move some around.  This is the only Callicarpa I grow, but would like to get some other ones with white and pink fruits.  Searching the web, there are some outstanding species and cultivars :o
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2010, 08:56:56 PM »
Mark,
The colour hasn't reached the same intensity on my shrub of Callicarpa here as it is on yours. Also, the leaves of mine are all splattered white as I have a bird feeder hanging directly above it. Purple berries with white-splashed leave, now that's an odd combination.
Paddy

TheOnionMan

« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
Mark,
The colour hasn't reached the same intensity on my shrub of Callicarpa here as it is on yours. Also, the leaves of mine are all splattered white as I have a bird feeder hanging directly above it. Purple berries with white-splashed leave, now that's an odd combination.
Paddy

Paddy, do you think you're uniquely variegated Callicarpa will come true from seed? ;D
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
Now, that would be an interesting development. I could patent the plant and sell it with birds included. A novel approach to garden planting for wildlife.
Paddy

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »
Now, that would be an interesting development. I could patent the plant and sell it with birds included. A novel approach to garden planting for wildlife.
Paddy

Though it wouldn't be cheep Paddy!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
Oooooooooooooooooh Cliff!

Paddy

Onion

« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
Mark,

nice to see the berries of Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai'. In my area we only see the flowers. No berries. When the foliage turn yellow Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai' is in full flower.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

TheOnionMan

« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »
Mark,

nice to see the berries of Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai'. In my area we only see the flowers. No berries. When the foliage turn yellow Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai' is in full flower.

Uli, I wonder why the berries don't appear in your area, not the right pollinators around, or what could it be?
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Onion

« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Mark,

pollinators we have, because the Callicarpa japonica and Callicarpa 'Profusion' have the berries.
We think it is the cold, wet wheather we have in autumn.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2010, 03:59:14 AM »
This year some of the purple berries on Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai' are turning from blue-purple to rose-purple, still putting on a good show, but with a color twist.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2010, 03:50:12 AM »
Heptacodium miconioides is done flowering, but now begins the real show with flower-like sepals that change from green to hot pink or red, and expand in size to be much larger than the small white flowers.  Shown are a few photos of the calyx display in the early stages, it gets better and more showy at full expression.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Onion

« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »
Mark,

my Heptacodium is now in full bloom with the white flowers. Hope to see the pink sepals in two weeks.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2010, 03:19:53 AM »
Mark,

my Heptacodium is now in full bloom with the white flowers. Hope to see the pink sepals in two weeks.

Uli, let's hope you season lasts well into the autumn to see those colorful sepals.  How old is your tree, and how large?  Do you get a good show with the sepals most years?

I'm surprised this tree isn't being heralded by the nursery trade; it's quick growing, indifferent to poor soils, drought resistant, very easy to strike from cuttings, no bugs seem to bother the foliage, pretty flowers with fragrance that appear very late when few other trees are booming, peeling bark, bone hardy, and the bonus display of enlarged colorful calyxes in autumn.  How common is this tree in the UK and in Europe in general?
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal