We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trees in parks and gardens 2010  (Read 49906 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Trees in parks and gardens 2010
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »
A few trees/shrubs from the garden today and still hoping that my Evodia daniellii's flowers will open before Arnold's, a sort of trans-Atlantic flower competition!

Abies koreana
Crinodendron patagua
Eucryphia x nymansay
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »
And, a few more. Paddy

Evodia daniellii - like the watched kettle, these flowers seem like they will never open. This is its first time flowering for me, grown from seed, and I am impatient to see them.
Feijoa sellowiana - looking a bit tatty as the flowers are going over very quickly
Hoheria sexstylosa - this tree was cut to the ground by the hard frosts of this winter but one side branch, shooting from the base, survived and is now covered with flower.
Indigofera gerardiana

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2010, 12:26:39 AM »
Paddy, nice selection of trees and shrubs, some are new to me, and some are most likely too tender for my climate... I'll just have to admire them from afar.  One I did grow for a number years in a "foundation planting" in front of my house was Indigofera gerardiana (syn. heterantha).   It is one of those "pea shrubs" that dies down to the ground each year, and resprouts in spring growing quickly and producing those attractive flowers.  It was beginning to outgrow its allotted space and one spring it did not come back.  I did not fill the void as other plantings were maturing and filled in nicely.

Based on the size of your plants seen in the last photo, was some or all of the woody stems winter hardy, rather than regrowing from the ground each year?
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

ArnoldT

« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2010, 03:11:28 AM »
Paddy:

Your Evodia is not the sames a mine.  The stems of  the leaves and flower stems are markedly different.

I know there is another Evodia hupehensis

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/250794

http://www.kraeuterallerlei.de/der-bienenbaum-die-honigreiche-bienenpflanze/
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ArnoldT

« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:12 AM »
Also Eucryphia   is the source of the wonderful leatherwood honey from Tasmania.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
Feijoa sellowiana - looking a bit tatty as the flowers are going over very quickly

I've always admired Feijoa when I've seen it in gardens in the UK and would love one day to try the fruit which is described as tasting like a cross between strawberry and pineapple. According to the Plants for a Future database, the flowers are also good to eat: "The petals are sweet, crisp and delicious, they taste more like a fruit than many fruits"

Do you get ripe fruit, Paddy? (I see that it ripens quite late). There are also a number of cultivars developed for the fruit but these don't seem to be available in the UK.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Mark,
Indigofera gerardiana is perfectly hardy here and comfortable enough to seed about. In fact, I have to cut it back each year as it is a spreading  bush and inclined to elbow in on its neighbours.

Arnold, I'll have to "key out"  my Evodia/Tetradium at some stage to establish its identity definitely. The bees certainly enjoy the eucryphia and the flowers are covered in bees. I have a number euchrphias in the garden, even a variegated one and two pink-flowered cultivars also. I didn't realise it was called "leatherwood". I grow a north American shrub which is called "leatherwood" - Dirca palustris. Are you familiar with this one. I haven't got it to flowering size yet though I have plants for nearly ten years now and have even lost a few due, I think, to wet soil.

Stephen, On previous good summers I have had ripe fruit and found it pleasant. I wouldn't delight in the taste to the extent of the description you posted but it certainly is interesting to have it.

Paddy

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
Lovely pictures Paddy but you've made me miss my Hoheria.  We had the cultivar H. sexstylosa 'Stardust' at the front of the house.  I was told it would get to 6ft but it kept going and when we got subsidence problems (the fault of our heavy clay soil and a huge crack willow at the back not the Hoheria) the surveyor told me it would have to go.  This time of year it was a million honey scented stars and humming with bees and hoverflies.  It was cut right to ground level but is reshooting.....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »
Gail,
You seem to have it planted very much in the "shade tree" tradition of USA gardens. Lovely tree.

Paddy

ArnoldT

« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »
The tree, Eucryphia lucida is the source of the leatherwood honey.  A must try if you can find it.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
Also Eucryphia   is the source of the wonderful leatherwood honey from Tasmania.

I found this UK source for it....
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/672300_Rowse_Tasmanian_Leatherwood_Honey__Set__340g.html

Will be trying this out!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »
Maggi,

I followed the link above to look at the tree and found instead a jar of honey. Ah, well, it was a sweet disappointment.

Paddy

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
Edit by Maggi:
This quote is a compilation from another thread to introduce some posts which I will move here.....

Quote from: Paddy Tobin
Quote from: alpines
It's definitely Aruncus dioicus ...grows all over Kentucky too.

Grows in Ireland too but behaves itself well. Peculiarly, my wife likes the flowers as they fade to a rusty brown, something I cannot understand and I am under strict instructions not to cut them off each year.

Paddy
------------------------------------------------------------
I think I do understand, it is a plant that is gracefully senescent when passing out of flower.  It reminds me somewhat of Eremurus stenophyllus... where I really liked the effect of the bright yellow flowers going over to complimentary brown.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border, USDA Zone 5
 ------------------------------------------------------

While I harbour a wish to grow old as disgracefully as possible myself, I have certain sympathies with plants that achieve that with some grace..... I draw your attention to a thread in the NARGS Forum (McMark knows it, already, of course) on the subject.... "Senescent with dignity! "
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=336.0

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 8a

-----------------------------------------------

Mary regularly describes plants/flowers as "dies well" or "dies badly". She has promised me a good bottle of wine and the choicest spot on the compost heap when my time comes.

Paddy

Mark:

When I first moved to the mild Pacific Northwest (Seattle Washington area) in the early 1980s, one of my greatest disillusions was with Camellia, a genus I always imagined growing, but they're not hardy enough this far north in New England.  This is not a blanket observation, as some species and cultivars are better than others (C. sasanqua is nice), but many cultivars have both fresh flowers and ugly spent lingering among the branches simultaneously.  One cultivar in particular, a large-flowered fully double white, had flowers that "die badly" indeed, a long season of fresh white pristine flowers, and at the same time, the branches laden with persistent mashy brown blobs of spent flowers at varying stages of decay, in no particular hurry to drop off.  

It became a staple of my garden slide presentations to show such Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Camellias, trees that are beautiful and ugly at the same time.  Maybe they have better "self-cleaning" cultivars these days?  Shortly I will show a plant I like much better, Stewartia pseudocamellia :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:22:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
When I first moved to the mild Pacific Northwest (Seattle Washington area) in the early 1980s, one of my greatest disillusions was with Camellia,

Those decaying brown camellia flowers are due to a fungal disease that arrived in the PacNW within living memory. Most camellia owners can't be bothered with the necessary hygiene (picking off browning flowers and carefully cleaning up any that fall to the ground), so the disease perpetuates itself once it's infected a plant.

Something like black spot in roses in terms of hygiene and control.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
Rodger,

This browning of camellia flowers, particularly those which flower here early in the year, also occurs after frosts and white flowers seem most prone to this damage.

Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal