We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trees in parks and gardens 2010  (Read 49918 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: Trees in parks and gardens 2010
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
Hi,
this is most interesting, never seen anything like this before. I have been to tea plantations on hillsides in Thailand where the tea grew on small trees and were hand picked only.

Just one small worry, it this a public road we can see in the last picture? if so, how do the manufacturers deal with the pollution residue from cars that must cling to the tea bushes next to it? are the leaves washed before they are dried?
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »
YT,

A set of wonderfully interesting photographs, something we can never see here in western Europe.

Many thanks, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:55 AM »
A set of wonderfully interesting photographs, something we can never see here in western Europe.

In fact you can find them in a Europe even further west than you, Paddy  :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14333842@N07/2468026349

Great photos, Tatsuo!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
I will have to broaden my education and travel further.

Very interesting.

Paddy

Pascal B

« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »
Just one small worry, it this a public road we can see in the last picture? if so, how do the manufacturers deal with the pollution residue from cars that must cling to the tea bushes next to it? are the leaves washed before they are dried?

Maren, I don't know how organic the culture in Japan is but in most of S India it is not, you regularly see men with spraycans walking in amongst the rows. After several pickings the shrubs are pruned hard back and particularly in the period after that and before the first real picking they spray. The number of organic tea plantations is rising but roads next to plantations in Japan wouldn't be much of a problem I think. The cars are cleaner (read: newer) in Japan than the ones in third world countries where most tea comes from. But the hills covered with tea plants is still a great view, too bad it is also the most important cause of habitat loss throughout S India and Sri Lanka at higher elevations.... :(

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »
I will have to broaden my education and travel further.

Very interesting.

Paddy

You don't have to travel that far, Paddy, as there's a tea plantation in Cornwall: http://www.tregothnan.co.uk/tea/p_302/

Wonder if the plants were affected by last winter's cold weather.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
Here's a few pictures of Tea plants grown outside at the Eden Project in Cornwall with an information sign:
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »

Luit, these are power cable for defroster fans set up at top of poles. These fans prevent delicate (and most precious) first flushes from damages caused by late frosts.

Tatsuo, thanks for the information. Here in our and neighbour countries these late frosts are mostly prevented by sprinkling water.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #324 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
David,

I've had a look through the website and it's a place which certainly seems worth a visit. Next time!

Many thanks, Paddy

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
When in October at Hillier's Arboretum I saw some nice trees/shrubs.
The first picture shows a Crataegus where I did not have noticed the name and   
and which probably is Crataegus arnoldiana.
If anyone means my photo's have the wrong name I would very much like to hear this?

Crataegus [arnoldiana] + fruits
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »
The next interesting small tree was Zanthoxylum simulans with nice red berries and
a prickly stem.        

Zanthoxylum simulans

a few more later

Onion

« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
Luit,

see the other pictures of Hillier in the General Forum, reminds me to visit these place again. Thanks for the pictures of this wonderful place.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
The next interesting small tree was Zanthoxylum simulans with nice red berries and
a prickly stem.        

Zanthoxylum simulans

a few more later

Luit, Zanthoxylum simulans looks very interesting, the trunk looks more "bumpy" than dangerously thorny, but a rather distinctive tree.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #329 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
Acer griseum continues to please me year round; I planted a tree next to my old deck about 18 years ago.  I chose Acer griseum to be planted near my deck because of its very slow growth (so that it wouldn't overtake the deck), yet after some years finally provide some shade, for its fine small scale foliage in spring and summer, glorious fall color, and the beautiful peeling bark and picturesque twiggy branching in winter.

In this series of photos, all taken in November over a period of seven years, you can get a sense of its scale.  In 2003, I tore down our dilapidated deck and rebuilt it.

1     The new stairs under construction coming out at a 45 degree angle, with Acer griseum tucked into that geometry (actually, the deck and stair designed "around" the tree placement).

2     A view from the deck in 2005, given a sense of scale to the tree canopy, still small but getting there and filling in after being planted 13 years prior. 

3-4  Acer griseum in 2009, 17 yrs old, not needing to be pruned yet other than "limbing up" weak branches under the canopy. 

5     Eye-level view from my deck of the burning fall color. 

6     Close up showing small leaflets, turning color. 

7     View taken recently, the deck stair flanked on the other side with Euonymus alatus in fall color.  The "burning bush" was a house-warming present from friends 23 years ago... my wife likes it, so it must stay, but I cut it back 3'-4' (60-120 cm) yearly to keep this vigorous beast (the burning bush) in check.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal