We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 21404 times)

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
Re: November 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
A great day in the garden today.

Sauromatum venosum
Anthropodium cirratum up close.
Celmisia traversii
Celmisia spedenii
Cemisia densiflora
First flower on Pachystegia rufa
Kalmia latifolia 'Minuet'
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
must try to track it down again.

Paul, didn't I give you chiapensis back in the Suite days? A little weedy for me, provided it doesn't get too dry. So, seed or bulbs?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »
Have others in the southern hemisphere received their paper copy yet of the SRGC seedlist? I haven't got mine yet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:36:21 AM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
Rob,

Yes, you gave me seed at the very least (I got my original bulbs from Rob H.).  They germinated well, grew for a few years and flowered for me, then died out the same year as the original bulbs did.  Obviously something was wrong in that year.  ::)  I think I've kept some of the species too dry in summer, as I have had a slow atrophy of a few of the species unfortunately.  T. vanhouttei is still going strong for me I think, plus dugesii still hanging in there as well as durangense.  I had a couple of other species but they have gone now.  I find almost none of them multiply, and only vanhouttei has ever set seed for me.

So yes, if you've got a few spare weeds, be they bulbs or seed, they would be very welcome here.  Not sure what I can send you in return, but let me know. 8)  I am a LONG way behind in sending things to people..... since I started my main job back in February there just never seems to be enough hours in the week to get anything done.... and I get reminded regularly that while my Chronic Fatigue isn't as bad as it used to be, it is still there.  Procrastination has become far too frequent I have found, but usually I end up taking a couple of days to recover from my 4 working days, then just get 1 day to actually do anything.  :o  And I do need to do some weeding at times. ;)  Thankfully I have some very patient friends who haven't disowned me as yet (well not as far as I know).

Lesley,

I haven't received it here as yet either.  I've actually not gone online to sort out an order.  I don't know my details for membership number etc, and I think Maggi has got quite enough on her plate at the present time.  I'm sure I can live without ordering from the seedlist for this year.  ;D ;D  Yes, I know that is blasphemy. :o :-[
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
"Have others in the southern hemisphere received their paper copy yet of the SRGS seedlist"

Probably not, Lesley, but admittedly I have not checked my postbox in recent days. I "did" my order online which worked very well.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
I haven't received it here as yet either.  I've actually not gone online to sort out an order.  I don't know my details for membership number etc, and I think Maggi has got quite enough on her plate at the present time.

Paul, it is sweet of you to think of me but I am perfectly happy to help anyone with their membership number and so on for the seed ordering.
It's part of what I do!
I'd be horrified if I thought anyone was sitting languishing for want of their number!

But you're right of course... YOU have more than enough plants already!!  ;D ;D ;) :-* :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:39 AM »
But you're right of course... YOU have more than enough plants already!!  ;D ;D ;) :-* :-*

What, as opposed to all the other horticultural addicts here?  ;D

Judging by all the other hassles you've had to cope with over in the seed exchange thread, I figure you're more than happy NOT to have another person pestering you.  Take my sparing you yet another pestering as a token gift.  Totally inadequate in relation to all the fantastic work you do for us here of course, but it's the thought that counts isn't it? ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:49:02 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »
Mine hasn't arrived yet Lesley.

On line worked great for me too.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

Judging by all the other hassles you've had to cope with over in the seed exchange thread, I figure you're more than happy NOT to have another person pestering you.  Take my sparing you yet another pestering as a token gift.  Totally inadequate in relation to all the fantastic work you do for us here of course, but it's the thought that counts isn't it? ;)

And a kind thought too!  :-*  
What, as opposed to all the other horticultural addicts here?  ;D

Well, Yeah! I know how limited your space is and I reckon that some restraint is a good idea   ;D  Some of the hoplesss addicts around here at least have some more room to play with, but the likes of you and I should have the sense to know when to stop! ::) :-X :o ....... not that that is too likely to happen, but I'm trying to support you in your resolve! :D
When the snow is getting higher all the time it is harder to imagine a new growing season here, at least  :-\

Ezeiza

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »
Rogan, Lapagerias enjoy immense rainfall in the warm season in the wild.

Tigridia seedlings and all bulb seedlings do perfectly well without direct sunshine in a climate like yoursbut a spot with intense ibdirect light is needed. This wasy they receive the light they need without being roasted.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
So yes, if you've got a few spare weeds, be they bulbs or seed, they would be very welcome here.

Will try to remember in due course. As for the limitations imposed by illness, I for one quite understand. At least my problems should be overcome by the end of the month. The past 18 months have been a real trial for me, so living as you've been forced to is something I don't envy you.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Calvin Becker

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »
I received the paper seedlist at my Johannesburg address last week.
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »

This topic has been split off from something but where is a link to the new part. There are half a dozen posts in my in box but they don't appear in any thread. It's December now anyway so we need a new thread.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2010, 10:08:13 AM »

This topic has been split off from something but where is a link to the new part. There are half a dozen posts in my in box but they don't appear in any thread. It's December now anyway so we need a new thread.

I had spilt off some posts to a new December thread!
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6322.0

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal