We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ Field trips - November  (Read 4674 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: NZ Field trips - November
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »
Hi David,
What a treat on this cold, very wet morning here in Lancashire.  Super images.
R. insignis 'monroi' is so very different from the R. insignis I grow in my garden ... leaf shape, hairiness, stem length, etc. ... were they once classed as separate species?
Please keep posting these beautiful and interesting photos.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »
Wonderful photos of the Haastias, David. Wooly enough to be sheep even when less than lamb-sized!

I find the use of the name Melicytus alpinus ' Blondin ' intriguing: how does a plant in the wild come to have a cultivar name?

Maggi,

It is likely that this plant is not Melicytis alpinus.  Melicytus alpinus ' Blondin '  is a tag name used for convenience. It does not have any formal standing. There was a second Melicytus species growing down in the valley known as Melicytus aff alpinus " Waipapa " whose taxonomic status is just as murky. Tag names are a bit problematic as not everyone is entirely sure what precise entities they refer to.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:33 AM »

R. insignis 'monroi' is so very different from the R. insignis I grow in my garden ... leaf shape, hairiness, stem length, etc. ... were they once classed as separate species?

Ranunculus monroi Hook f. was considered a distinct species and is listed as such in the Flora of New Zealand vol 1 by H.H. Allan. However it was included in the circumspection of Ranunculus insignis along with Ranunculus lobulatus by Fisher. It is illustrated  as "Ranunculus monroi" in Mark and Adams and is described as a smaller southern form of Ranunculus insignis. Black Birch is quite high and exposed and thus the plants there tend to be smaller than typical Ranunculus insignis
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »

Ranunculus monroi Hook f. was considered a distinct species and is listed as such in the Flora of New Zealand vol 1 by H.H. Allan. However it was included in the circumspection of Ranunculus insignis along with Ranunculus lobulatus by Fisher. It is illustrated  as "Ranunculus monroi" in Mark and Adams and is described as a smaller southern form of Ranunculus insignis. Black Birch is quite high and exposed and thus the plants there tend to be smaller than typical Ranunculus insignis

Thanks for that David.  My memory didn't let me down (for once)!   All my NZ books are crated up in storage for a house move that never materialised ... I must fight my corner with the missus and retrieve them as soon as possible.  ("Ouch" ... maybe not)!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
What is it about these wonderful New Zealand alpines? They have never lost their fascination ever since I first learnt about them in the 1970's. I am particularly drawn to the umbellifers; aciphyllas, anisotomes, lignocarpa... Although I've tried growing them our climate in Kent is really too warm and dry, though a couple of the former are looking good at the moment. Anisotome imbricata is very nice show plant in the hands of experts like Nigel Fuller, but he grows the rather more hairy form. I am having more success with South American umbels like Bolax, so this should encourage me to try some of the smaller aciphyllas again. But great to see them in the wild!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »

Not sure how you came to be mixed up in this. Dave Toole was very complimentary about the Explorers Garden.

It was my fault really, admiring Julia's marvellous Rheum nobile. It all went down hill from there. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
Again so many wonderful pictures in this thread! Thanks so much for showing!
Those buttercups are really amazing.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Cliff,

Now I have thought about it there were some larger more typical Ranunculus insignis lower down on Black Birch at the site I took the picture of Pimelea oreophila. As I was getting a bit wet and cold at the time I was not really interested in photographing them as I have other photos of the larger form. In view of your comments it would have been worth while looking at them more closely.

Some more images this time from the Lewis Pass just off the main highway. I took a series of pictures of Astelia nervosa and Aciphylla colensoi. The latter is similar to Aciphylla scott-thomsonii but is found further north.

1. Astelia nervosa growing with bog pine (Halocarpus bidwillii)

2. Astelia nervosa male plant

3. Astelia nervosa male plant showing flowers.

4. Astelia nervosa female plant

5. Astelia nervosa female plant showing flowers

6. Aciphylla colensoi female plant in front; male plant at rear.

7. Aciphylla colensoi detail of leaves showing characteritic yellow midrib.

8. Aciphylla colensoi detail of male inflorescence

9. Aciphylla colensoi detail of female inflorescence
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
My intention to visit NZ do not diminish after this!
Although Ranunculi are beautiful and amiable plants I also have a heart for Aciphyllas and Astelias - and they should prove hardy here I hope, at least some of them!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
David, certainly the most beautiful specimens of Ranunculus monroi I have ever seen, great shots.
Cheers.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal