We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ Field trips - November  (Read 4701 times)

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
Re: NZ Field trips - November
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »
Lesley, like Steve, I too run a twin six pack, but we both managed to walk 13 hours solid on Saturday. :)

Steve, I bow down to your Pimelea sericeovillosa subsp. pulvinaris, I saw none as good as that one!!!
Good work on the hybrid guys. ;)

On the way home I dropped in on legendary alpine grower 'Margret Pringle'.
She always has some interesting things growing in her garden.
Collections of Carmichaelia, Astelia, Dracophyllum and Clematis species.
Flowering at the moment....
Celmisia hookeri.
Dracophyllum recurvum.
Bulbinella angustifolia.
Hebe ochracea 'James Stirling'
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:42:46 AM by kiwi »
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 07:34:16 AM »

Looks like you all had a good trip - I was meant to be at Lake Roe this past week (in place of Mr Newall) but the weather decided it was not to be!

The Tasman Myosotis uniflora is very white compared with the golden-flowered plants on Pisa flats.

In some ways I'm pleased to hear you didn't go David --While i was driving up with Steve Friday lunch time i remarked i wouldn't liked to have been in Fiordland.

I'm not sure whether the yellow of the Myosotis uniflora flowers fade as a result of the blooms going over or when they are fertilised ?.....

Dave managed to call in a couple of keas . I think the male kea must have recognised Dave as a possible threat and did the swoopy swoopy thing over his head .

Yeah both birds swooped aggressively and screeched numerous times-- first time I've had that happen ....

The gang ---from left Steve, Hugh, Doug and Robbie and you can just make out the point of interest,(the Keas), to the left of Steve .

Bird with a view.

Shot taken from the Sealy Tarns of the Hooker Valley and Aorangi ,(Mt Cook), and our tramp in the afternoon .We travelled over the Hooker River (marked with a cross on the right of the pic), around behind ,then on top of the eroded ridge ,(marked with a star on the left of the pic) and searched for Ranunculus godleyanus ,(without success ),near the thin snow patches ,(just above the marked star).

The view from that side with Doug on the eroded ridge looking down into terminal of the Mueller Glacier...

Some more birds --a pair of Paradise ducks.

A local ....

More to come

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:20:31 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
Having some difficulty with my pics ....

It's sorted now so i'll carry on .

:-\ Aw thats right    ;) there were a few plants  ;D ......Here are some of the smaller beauties althought Doug I'm tempted to show my Pimelea pulvinaris inferioranus as well, but i'll go easy on you bud.... ;D ;D..

A couple of Raoulia shots .

The tight buds ,(not yet open),of Leptinella squalida creeping along gravel where there's little competition.

Also thereabouts is Muehlenbeckia axillaris --and close up.

Finally -Kelleria dieffenbachii

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:13:06 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
Nice to see both the Tarras and Tekapo plants of Pimelea sericovillosa subsp pulvinaris.

I went to Akatore Creek on Saturday. Akatore is south of Dunedin and there is a little scrap of forest on a very steep scarp wher the creek enters the sea. There is a wonderful collection of divaricating shrubs on the edge of the estaury ie several Coprosmas including Coprosma obconica, Melicope simplex, Raukaua anomalus, Melicytus flexuosus Helichrysum lanceolatum, Myrsine divaricata to name a few. There are a number of uncommon plants on the coast where it is quite exposed including Myosotis pygamea and Lepidium tenuicaule. Not as spectacular as the alpine herbfields but interesting none the less.

1. Looking seawards with flowering Cordyline australis

2.Akatore forest remnant. Farmland comes down to the edge of the scarp on right of picture.

Some shore plants

3. Apium prostratum (same species as  I posted on the October thread growing inland at Alexandra)

4. Crassula moschata (This is a particularly healthy specimen as it is growing just below a gull's nest)

5, 6 Disphyma australe This grows in very exposed situations just above high tide mark.

7. Shore cress Lepidium tenuicaule - related to Lepidium oleraceum

8 Leptinella dioica, very common in coastal turfs.

9 Myosotis pygamea a small annual forget-me not (similar to inland Myosotis brevis also in the October thread) The plant beside it is Colobanthus muelleri

10. The find of the day Pimelea prostrata subsp. prostrata. These coastal Pimeleas are difficult to identify and the recent revision the genus has not exactly clarified the situation. The plant was growing on an exposed rock outcrop that would have been an island at high tide.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »
Dave,

I am happy I was not in Fiordland this past week as well. Eroded ridge = bloody big glacial moraine ie pile of stones dropped by melting glacier! Exciting places with large boulders tumbling down the sides on to the unwary.

I messed up my last posting

1. Lepidium tenuicaule

2. For Cliff, Ranunculus acaulis (small but perfectly formed)

3. A small greenhood orchid Pterostylis sp (not from Akatore)

4 Studio shot of flower of Melicytus flexuosus (cultivated plant ex Wainakaurua)
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
TWINS Doug! Golly!

Great shots boys. Keep up the good work. Hope the summer provides lots of opportunities for similar trips. Thanks for the plants and the pictures. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
Many thanks lads ... especially for the lovely little R. acaulis.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
Stunning pictures everyone !!  Superb !
Thanks for showing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Thank you gents for the superb pictures such great adventures you have, how do you manage? do you ever get any work done? and does your wives throw you out at weekends? probably like mine glad to get some peace when you are away, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Every time I see these superb pictures of the N.Z. Flora I get even more impressed by the great diversity.
And of course by these great landscapes. Thanks for showing!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
Fantastic pic's, takes for sharing them with us, in this cold and wet Scotland :)!
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 05:36:23 AM »
A few shots I missed from last weekend at Mt Cook...
Lycopodium Species ( I think Australianum but possibly fastigatum?) Very unusual but delicious.
Gingidium montanum
Celmisia semicordata - stunning even without flowers.

We arrived at the first bridge to these signs and were gutted. Dave gazed across the lake then went down to the men at work and explained that if we couldn't cross we were going to swim across the glacier river mouth. Lucky for us they they were not in the mood to resuscitate 5 men, and let us pass over.
Good on ya Dave.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:39:05 AM by kiwi »
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
Julia, I have just taken note of your Avatar picture. Is it a partially erected tent or is it a truly, fabulously, stunningly magnificent plant of Rheum nobile? If the latter, can you show the plant somewhere where it can be enlarged please? (the picture I mean; to enlarge the plant would make a tree of it!)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 08:32:59 AM »
Julia, I have just taken note of your Avatar picture. Is it a partially erected tent or is it a truly, fabulously, stunningly magnificent plant of Rheum nobile? If the latter, can you show the plant somewhere where it can be enlarged please? (the picture I mean; to enlarge the plant would make a tree of it!)

Lesley, had you considered the possibility that Julia is only eighteen inches tall?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
Well yes, this is possible of course but I'm sure Maggi would have mentioned it somewhere. Previous pictures of Julia suggest she is almost as high as a truly, fabulously, stunningly magnificent plant of Rheum nobile, or even of a a partially erected tent. ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal