We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione saxicola withering flower  (Read 1772 times)

JPB

• My plants
Pleione saxicola withering flower
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
Just before opening of the big flower bud, the flower stem got soft and died. The pseudobulb and leaf are still fine. Could it be the watering? I did continue the watering because these plants go into dormancy after flowering. Temperature was between 10C (night) and 20C (day), which should be OK? A big fan was on all the time.

What went wrong????

Hans

NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

LarsB

• The Fearless One
Re: Pleione saxicola withering flower
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
I don't have much experience with saxicola as i only got it last year. Mine has still not shown any signs of flowers and might not do so this year. I've experienced flowerbuds whitering away many times and usually it has been because the plant has been moved. In your case, as you describe it , i could be a little water standing in the shot, causing the stem to rot.

Kind regards

Lars
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »
Hans,
The problem of withering flower buds for no apparant reason, has been raised here before (not only on saxicola, but also on forrestii, etc...).  Don't remember in which thread - maybe a search will help you.  I remember all kinds of possible stress reasons were mentioned : too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry..., and just about every grower seems to have experienced it to some extent.  Nothing conclusive though...  ???
Better luck next year !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »
Luc, that's not alarming news. I have two new pseudobulbs on the old one so we will see next year. Then I will avoid moistening the flower stalk and see what happens. Still two chances this autumn with P. maculata and P. praecox...This year I'll kill the slugs before they eat the flowers...ˇNo pasarán! ;D

Hans
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal