We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2011  (Read 72733 times)

Gunhild Poulsen

• Gunhild and Thorkild Poulsen's Danish Garden
Re: Hepatica 2011
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »
Thanks for the information about Osmocote. I think it is very valuable to hear the experiences from other growers – and not less the warnings.
I always use to add Osmocote directly in the pots, but hearing about your bad experience I maybe should reconsider what to do in this spring!!!

Michael I don’t doubt your blue Hepatica is a nobilis, I was just praising the special for this plant.
Gunhild

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
Gunilla I have tried to find description of the scent in Hepatca and have found a description that says that the American species H. acuta can have a strong but pleasant scent. I ask Gunhild and she says she has experienced scent of H. nobilis v. pyranaica and believe that there are plants in all species there can have scent.

I have read that Hepatica transsilvanica has 28 chromosome and Hepatica nobilis and several of the other species have only 14 chromosomes. How can they be crossed to what we know as x media? I always thought that plants the can be crosses must have the same chromosome number. Is this total wrong?

It's still cold here in Denmark, but today there was sun and several of our Hepatica was full open.

Gunda and Kalle,
Denmark
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Mavers

« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »
Thank you Gunhild & Michael for the info. I have been to the cottage Garden snowdrop day today so I apologise for not thanking you before.

I do find the clay pots dry out quickly, I was wondering whether to paint the outside of the pots with something to reduce evaporation rather than disturb them all again.

Beautiful photos Cheryl thank you. 
Mike
Somerset, UK

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
Gunilla I have tried to find description of the scent in Hepatca and have found a description that says that the American species H. acuta can have a strong but pleasant scent. I ask Gunhild and she says she has experienced scent of H. nobilis v. pyranaica and believe that there are plants in all species there can have scent.

I have read that Hepatica transsilvanica has 28 chromosome and Hepatica nobilis and several of the other species have only 14 chromosomes. How can they be crossed to what we know as x media? I always thought that plants the can be crosses must have the same chromosome number. Is this total wrong?

It's still cold here in Denmark, but today there was sun and several of our Hepatica was full open.

Gunda and Kalle,
Denmark
Gunda/Kalle, its usually no problem crossing a diploid plant like H nobilis (2n=14) with a tetraploid H transsilvanica (2n=28). The progeny will be triploid (2n=21) but usually sterile.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:49:33 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
Hepatica  Japonica haruno awayuki, a difficult colour to photograph.
Hepatica hokutosei. Not fully open yet.
Hepatica japonica   'Murasaki'
Hepatica  Japonica akafuku,

With thanks to Karl & Gunhild.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:02:12 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
Hepatica japonica to-sen.  Think I posted this one before.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:04:40 PM by Michael J Campbell »

angie

« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
Hepatica japonica to-sen.  Think I posted this one before.

Michael who cares if you posted it before, it's worth another look. Keep posting your hepaticas they are so lovely.  8)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »
HOY; THANK YOU for the informations, it was very usefull.

Michael; Fantastic picture, Good to see they are growing well.

A few more from today.

Gunda and Kalle
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Hoy

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
HOY; THANK YOU for the informations, it was very usefull.

Gunda and Kalle
You are welcome!
Triploids usually don't make neither good pollen nor egg cells as the 3 sets of chromosomes will form trivalents during meiosis and not the usual bivalents. That makes unbalanced chromosome sets in the cells.

If you want a triploid plant to be fertile you have to use something like colchicine to stop the chromosome segregation during meiosis. But be aware! Its very poisonous! (I have not used it myself so I can't tell you how to use it.)

Gunhild Poulsen

• Gunhild and Thorkild Poulsen's Danish Garden
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
I understand crossing of diploid and tetraploid gives triploid and infertile plants, but I’m wondering why cross between transsilvanica and pubescens - the so called x euroasiatica - as for example Prof.F. Hildebrandt is infertile – both parents are tetraploid.
There must be other factors than the chromosome which have influence of the fertilisation, or am I wrong?
Gunhild

Hoy

« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »
I understand crossing of diploid and tetraploid gives triploid and infertile plants, but I’m wondering why cross between transsilvanica and pubescens - the so called x euroasiatica - as for example Prof.F. Hildebrandt is infertile – both parents are tetraploid.
There must be other factors than the chromosome which have influence of the fertilisation, or am I wrong?
Gunhild
Yes, it is. Even if chromosome numbers are even chromosomes can fail to make functional bivalents, or male and/or female sterility can occur due to a lot of different genetic conditions both of Mendelian and cytoplasmic origin.

I have to say however that I am no expert in these matters and do not cross plants in a scientific way ;)

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2011, 03:33:39 AM »
Thanks for all showing your hepaticas :) These are my unnamed seedlings.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:40:53 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »
What a wonderful clear blue that is, YT!

Michael,  thanks so much for the tips for improving my hepatica.  I have it in a long tom pot but I will repot after it finishes flowering I think, taking your advice.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2011, 11:37:58 AM »
A very beautiful blue!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mavers

« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
 I have lost hepaticas through being too damp so I'm now using a little more loam in my compost together with some 'Ultrasorb' for its free draining qualities like I use for my cypripediums.

Mike
Somerset, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal