We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Identifying Crocus  (Read 15432 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Identifying Crocus
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 11:18:03 PM »
Maggi,

I had wondered!  Given timing etc, but the speckling on the outer petals was unusual, but did bring to mind my recent incorrect abantensis to some degree.  So it's definitely just a speciosus?  Nothing particularly named about it or anything?

Thanks so much for the response.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 05:57:45 AM »
Howdy All,

I have two different things under the name Crocus longiflorus.  While they have superficial similarities there are obviously glaring differences as well.  Could these both be variations of the species, or is one of them something else?  I have named them with a (B) for the form in the backyard (sourced many years ago) and (CG) for the form in the crocus garden that is new.  I rather like the new one.... much larger (but that could be cultural of course, given the other has been in the ground for years fighting everything else near there including a massive Magnolia ) and such a nice uniform colour... but the striping and comparative delicacy of the older version also very much has an appeal.  Yes, the flower in the comparison shot DOES have 8 petals not 6, but it was an older flower so I didn't mind cutting it to take out the front to compare.  Sun is a bit here and there today, and have been struggling to get a good open flower on the older form.

So..... what do I have here?  2 forms of longiflorus or one plus something else, or neither of them that species?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
Whatever it is Paul, as a gardener I would keep the CG.
The other one's flowers are not good enough to keep it in the collection. (for me  :) )
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »
Luit,

The other one is actually a lot better than the photos show, it's just that where they are they aren't opening properly in the current weather.  I am sure that previously the flowers were larger, but I think that a few years with drought has it struggling a bit.  I may even think about lifting it this year, perhaps even straight after flowering, to give it a better home and see how it does.  I have a place for it at the moment, so knowing me I'd better do it soon or the place will go to something else!!  ;D

And you're right..... CG (which for reference stands for Crocus Garden, and the B stands for Backyard... so I know which is which) is a very nice flower!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
Paul, both are Crocus longiflorus! I could show you photos of many different variants
from my collection - it's another very variable species!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
Thomas,

Excellent!  I don't mind that at all.  I just wanted to make sure that I had the right name on them as I don't like perpetuating misnaming of plants through ignorance of them being incorrectly labelled.  That's one of the beauties of a forum like this..... when something has you stumped there is usually someone who has a clue as to the answer!  ;D  I shall now enjoy both of them, knowing they're varieties of the same species.  You'd not know it by looking at them.  Thank you!  Thanks you!

At some point I'd be interested in seeing pics of the assorted types you have.... just to see how variable it is.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
Your wish is my command !!!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »
Your wish is my command !!!

Well in that case...... I wish you'd send me lots and lots of money, maybe a new car?  ;D ;)

The longiflorus really are variable as you said.  From quite a filled in round to rather spidery, markings at base etc..... fascinating.  Thanks for the pics!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 05:07:17 AM »
I moved the (B) version of longiflorus today to a better position.  Some food etc and better soil should produce somewhat better flowers next year I'd imagine.  Will be interesting to see how much difference it makes.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

HClase

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »
Are all your C. longiflorus varieties scented Thomas?
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »
Havn't tried them all, Howard!
Are you still looking for longiflorus seeds?

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 01:33:55 PM »
Ok Crocophiles.... I have another ID request here.....

I received this from a friend a couple of years ago.  It is just coming into flower at the moment, but I haven't managed to see them open as yet.  These are from pics I took last year.  I am wondering if, like Lesley's unknown last week, these are another form of serotinus ssp salzmanii?  The speckling oon the outer petals is rather lovely, but the petals are rather long and thin, more so than the salzmanii I have seen before, and moreso than Lesley's pics of hers.  It is also much darker than Lesley's, although it has similar speckling.  Could anyone confirm an ID?  If I need to take extra pics I will have to wait until I'm home in some sunshine hours.  ;D

Thanks in anticipation.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:08 AM »
You could well be right Paul. With all the Crocus threads we now have I can't even find mine, to compare. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 06:56:48 AM »
Lesley,

Yours in the 8th posting in the the Southern Hemisphere crocus thread, page 1.  Not sure whether this will work or not but...

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1653.msg41458#msg41458
Re: Crocus 2008 - Southern Hemisphere
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:41 PM »
So.... no ideas anyone on what my unknown Crocus might be? ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal