We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocuses in Central Slovakia  (Read 2308 times)

Herminarik

Crocuses in Central Slovakia
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »
As I was a student searching Crocus scepusiensis in locus clasicus in National Park Slovensky Raj (in Central Slovakia) I founded that there is no great variation in colour as regards this species. From this reason was genus Crocus scepusiensis uninteresting for me for a long time. But last year I founded information about a small isolated population of Cr. scepusiensis with only light colouring flowers. This weekend I realized a trip in two localities – first one with typical form of Cr. scepusiensis in National Park Slovensky Raj. On this place were thousands plants but all were dark coloured (I founded only one albino form). The other population I visited is in the military area and it is quite hard accessible. The plants I saw were very light-colored – from white to very light blue (there were any dark blue plants), practically all with visible mark on the periants. Some plants I saw there were very unusual and after this trip I have to revised my opinion about a uniformity of Cr. scepusiensis. Cheers Igor.

Herminarik

Re: Crocuses in Central Slovakia
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
Unusual light-colored plants of Cr. scepusiensis from second locality.

Herminarik

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
The other unusual light-colored plants.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:28 PM »
Igor, how informative it is to see the variations you have found. All these Crocus are so charming to my eye, of course!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
Igor, how informative it is to see the variations you have found. All these Crocus are so charming to my eye, of course!
Indeed, Maggi and Igor , these variations are charming . I'm sure Janis will give them colourful , fitting names -if someone could introduce them into cultivation .
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:31:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Igor,
wow, 'the other unusual light-colored plants' has the potential to become 'Slovakia Wonder' ;D 8) 8) 8)
Very lovely.
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal