We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocuses in pots April-2010  (Read 6529 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Crocuses in pots April-2010
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
Started blooming of Crocuses outside but still several beauties comes up in greenhouse, too.

This Crocus ancyrensis with brownish flowers was reported as collected S of Tokat, but by anology with C. x paulinae now I more tend to think that it may be is hybrid with some blue species. This can be supported by fact that during 4 years since I grow it, I never got seeds from this. Of course, as it isn't my own collection - its origin can be under question, too.

Crocus olivieri istanbulensis is extremely rare in nature and in cultivation. This one was baught in UK several years ago and sent to me by friend.

As last at present - one more "tommy" from John Grimshaw - 'Red with dark tips'.

Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

Re: Crocuses in pots April-2010
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
It seems that I'm last with crocuses in pots at present.
Crocus candidus is prominent by very few leaves. It blooms even with one leaf from corm.
Crocus distributed as C. imperatii var reidii is very beautiful although using the epithet "reidii" is quite strange, as the original specimen was presented by single corm, soon lost. The description of var. reidii in E.A. Bowles HANDBOOK didn't match with this one.
This beautiful hybrid between chrysanthus and biflorus isauricus comes from Gembos Yaila in Turkey and seem to be good increaser.
Crocus weldenii from Horvatia looks very nice even with half-closed flowers.
This one crocus I spotted today out of beds in greenhouse. I liked it much and dug out and potted, so I know that its tunic is finely reticulated. But what it is? I not remember such in my collection.  May be some hybrid? May be you have some idea?

and

HAPPY EASTER!
 (Crocus atticus sublimis tricolor in commercial section of greenhouse)

Janis

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:29:18 PM »
Janis,
wunderful crocus pictures.

Your 'unknown crocus' reminded me in the first view of nice forms C. cyprius Tony Willis posted earlier this year.
But no yellow on the flower tube in your sample... but how about a cross C. cyprius x C. biflorus ssp. biflorus? They are closely related...

Next guess, a nice form of C. minimus? Late flowering, finely reticulate corms...

If that all isn't too, then it must be a unknown cross biflorus ssp. isauricus x ?  which creates any wunderful color combination. :D.

As more we learn about crocus as less we know ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:27:09 AM »
Janis,
wunderful crocus pictures.

Your 'unknown crocus' reminded me in the first view of nice forms C. cyprius Tony Willis posted earlier this year.
But no yellow on the flower tube in your sample... but how about a cross C. cyprius x C. biflorus ssp. biflorus? They are closely related...

Next guess, a nice form of C. minimus? Late flowering, finely reticulate corms...

If that all isn't too, then it must be a unknown cross biflorus ssp. isauricus x ?  which creates any wunderful color combination. :D.

As more we learn about crocus as less we know ;D

No connection with annulate crocuses. May be really minimus because I destroyed one stock of it (Spring Beauty) as supposed virus and not remember just how it looked. I did it in first spring after bying of 50 corms and so no notes/pictures of it I have.
Janis

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
Janis its good to know even you have an unnamed crocus in your collection. ;)
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
my last Crocus in pots for this spring,
Crocus veluchensis`Albus` and
   ``    minimus from Col de Bavella in two forms
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
Have you grown the minimus from seed Dirk? I ask because I have seedlings from the Bavella form which are much less solidly coloured than the original but also have seedlings from my "commercial" minimus which are entirely solid.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:15:29 AM »
Janis its good to know even you have an unnamed crocus in your collection. ;)
I have a lot still only under collection number in C. biflorus group...
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »
Few more blooming now in greenhouse. Weather is cold, all windows open and development is slow.
This Crocus albiflorus was collected for me by Dr. A. Stork in Helvetia. She collected corms washed out of soil by heavy rains. Many were died, but some germinated and very few bloomed. This slope was marked as place where most plants has striped flowers, butt up to now only white ones bloomed. Very pretty, but I still haven't any striped wild albiflorus...
Other late white bloomer is Crocus x jessopiae - selected and named by E.A. Bowles
Crocus veluchensis is late blooming. Here purple and white forms of it.
Very late is Crocus pelistericus and as last today - C. x gotoburgensis - hybrid between pelistericus and scardicus.
Janis

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:13:01 PM »
Have you grown the minimus from seed Dirk? I ask because I have seedlings from the Bavella form which are much less solidly coloured than the original but also have seedlings from my "commercial" minimus which are entirely solid.
Yes Lesley, this Cr.minimus grown from Crocus-Group seed exchange. First flower after two years.
www.steingartenverein.de

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
Dirk

the veluchensis albus is very nice and lovely to see.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:31:02 PM »
I sometimes wonder if the 'Bavella' minimus with its very solid dark outer petals was just a co-incidence of collection and that other, more usual forms were also there, while the solid dark may also turn up in other areas and collections, as it certainly does in garden collected seed (mine, for instance, which never came from de Bavella).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:31 PM »
happy sunshine today,
Crocus minimus`Bavella`,
flowers with white and orange style
www.steingartenverein.de

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:15:45 PM »
My C. minimus only shows tips of flowerbuds deep i9n leaf rosette, but nicely blooms C. candidus LUNE which I bought only last year.
Started blooming C. scardicus - one of most difficult crocuses - 2 pictures, in background its close relative, but a little easier C. pelistericus.
On last two pictures you can watch how my "volunteer worker" (bumblebee) are making cross between scardicus and pelistericus, to produce C. x gotoburgensis.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
Nice C. vernus hybrid raised by Taavi Tuulik in Estonia.
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal