We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus in the garden June 2010  (Read 4127 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Crocus in the garden June 2010
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 01:58:24 AM »

Like building up the ridges over potatoes? Could we get potatoes much bigger then, just by keeping burying them? I find it impossible to buy a decent potato nowadays for baking and stuffing. They are all too small and also too uniform when I buy a 10kg bag. No variation in size for different purposes.

I find the opposite problem, particularly when buying Idaho Russet potatoes, most are so enormous that I have to look over the whole bin to find some more reasonably sized ones.  Maybe the US ships all of the undersized ones to NZ ;D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
No, it doesn't. NZ doesn't import potatoes from ANYWHERE. An elderly Irishman who had lived here for many years brought back half a dozen of an Irish variety he remembered from his childhood, when he went back for a visit a couple of years ago. They were confiscated at the airport in Auckland and he was given a stern warning (because of his age). Anyone else would have got a hefty fine. :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
No, it doesn't. NZ doesn't import potatoes from ANYWHERE. An elderly Irishman who had lived here for many years brought back half a dozen of an Irish variety he remembered from his childhood, when he went back for a visit a couple of years ago. They were confiscated at the airport in Auckland and he was given a stern warning (because of his age). Anyone else would have got a hefty fine. :o

"Maybe the US ships all of the undersized ones to NZ"  ;D

I was just joking... next time I'll use 3 GRIN emoticons along with a WINK icon thusly  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »
Well the expression on my face was sort of rueful I guess. I can't tell you what I think of NZ's plant biosecurity regs. Maggi doesn't allow that kind of language on the Forum. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal