We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January - 2009  (Read 57566 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Crocus January - 2009
« on: January 01, 2009, 10:28:02 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I’m a little impudent starting new topic on Forum as there will be no flowers in my greenhouses in January. After a pair or more days I will cover all my beds and pots with rockwool sheets to protect against offered frost – at least first half of January the days with minus 15 C will change with less cold spells, the other half supposed proximally the same. But I will be happy to see your crocuses and will take part in discussions.

It is time when I can think about last year travels, to plan the new ones. Last year was very rich – 4(!) trips to mountains and one recreation trip with my wife. The mountain trips were extremely successful, too. Not every year you can find new taxa – last season I found two new crocuses – new subspecies of C. flavus in Turkey and new of C. speciosus in Iran.

Now I’m planning trips for new year and want ask help from you. I want to go for pictures of few Crocuses but I don’t know exactly where and when would be best time. I need them for my new book about bulbs. Many of you traveled and possibly know localities. I know that localities are not for publications on internet to save nature populations. Those who traveled with me well know that I’m never collecting commercially. All bulbs in my catalogues are nursery grown and raised. All species in which I’m interested I have in my collection so I’m not intending collecting. You can inform me on my personal e-mail address: janis.bulb@hawk.lv. I’m interested in following species:
Crocus pelistericus, scardicus, cvijicii and aerius.

Today I finished manuscript of new catalogue. It was difficult job as ever. Almost 600 items included. Not so many crocuses as I’m still recovering from serious losses in last years on outside grown plants due climate extremes and rodent attacks. But some extreme rarities of very limited numbers are included. Text part you can receive by e-mail asking to me personally. Printed copy will be available at end of month.

Last year was the first one when I felt as victim of unhonest customers who received bulbs and didn’t pay.

Hoping many interesting discussions and wishing you all the best, sincerely Yours
Janis
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:39:15 AM by Maggi Young »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Crocus January - 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
And a very happy new year to you, Janis.

Some superb crocuses you mention. Both pelistericus and cvijicii are readily accessible from public roads in northern Greece. Pelistericus grows in abundance (with equally abundant C. veluchensis) on Mount Voras, the ski resort, north of Edessa, and cvijicii on Mount Vermion, another ski resort just to the south. Both were targeted by the AGS's MESE expedition in 1999. So, you can find good descriptions and locations in the AGS Bulletin for September 2000 (see John Richards' diary of the expedition). I can supply you with latitude/longitude readings if you require, but I'll do that by personal email. The MESE reports that make up this part of the bulletin also give information on earlier articles by Alan Edwards, also in the AGS bulletin. MESE collected seed of both these species: the recce trip in late June was able to collect ripe seed of cvijicii, but pelistericus was only collected by the later trip in September. If I remember rightly, both species are in flower in early May (see Alan Edwards' article).

Personally, I am already looking forward to my trip for this year. I shall be returning to the Taurus Mountains at the end of February and early March, hoping to see a range of crocus, colchicum, iris and some snowdrops, to mention but a few! I have previously visited this area in the autumn and found it captivating.

Good luck with your trip - hope you find the species you want!
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »
Janis I will write to you on your  private email. I have made five trips to see the Greek crocus you mention and have also found Crocus aerius in NE Turkey on two occasions. C. scardicus is one I am my self planning to go and find at some stage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:11:07 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »
Since this is the Jan 2009 thread, I'll show a plant - Crocus baytopiorum out today (with a little help from an hour or so blast from our central heating before being returned to the greenhouse!). These corms were from Janis.

Cheers,

Alex

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
no sign of mine so far
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lars S

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
Mine has only just put their noses up in the pots and are now thoroughly deep frozen in the green house  :P
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »
I put this and my other pot of baytopiorum in the fridge at sub-4C in October in order to give them the proper cold Winter we're always told they like. Temp. never rose above 4C (and was usually 1-2C) but within about a month at least a cm of white shoot(s) was poking above the surface in both pots, so out of the fridge they came.

Usually, I put Fritillaria alburyana and F. minima in the fridge for similar reasons, which works OK, but this year I haven't bothered. Happily, no sign of either yet, except roots out of the bottom, so they don't seem to bolt and flower in December like I feared...

Alex

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »
Alex

You have captured the blue of baytopiorum beautifully.

Your avatar shows an excellent Iris - do you also collect these?
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the compliment - if thst's true, the key is definitely not trying too hard, this was taken with a compact camera in poor light! I do also grow a lot of Junos and some reticulatas, the one in the picture is iris stenophylla ssp alisonii last year.

Cheers,

Alex

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »
Hi Alex, lovely little Crocus. I get shouted at for having the fridge full of seed packets so I dread to think what would happen if I started putting pots of Crocuses in there as well!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
Although I'm suffering with the 'sniffles' today and had promised myself a day in-doors Alex's picture tempted me outside to check on my Crocus baytopiorum. Having run out of space in the greenhouse I have a lot of pots of various bulbs in a little plastic 'greenhouse' of the kind most garden centres stock these days (very similar to the one Diane is using for her seed pots) and my C baytopiorum was one of these. Glad I did because one of the corms was in flower, this from Anne Wright-thank you Anne- and here it is, a pretty little thing.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
Mine still only in bud!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
I have never seen a 'striped' baytopiorum before - very nice.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »
I have never seen a 'striped' baytopiorum before - very nice.
My C. baytopiorum - of course last years pictures. They still are underground here as outside even in day temperature didn't raised above minus 8 C.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:44:12 PM »
Here's my Crocus baytopiorum - from the same stable as David's (Thank you Anne !) - it doesn't show on the picture, but it's much more elongated - flowering on a stem of approx. 12 cm... but I like it very much anyway  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal