We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blue and white mold on corms?  (Read 8514 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Blue and white mold on corms?
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »
I received my crocus order today, and I have a heuffelianus Wildlife and Dark Eyes corms that has blue and white mold? What should I do try wiping it off, or are these just going to rot when planted out?

Thanks for info.  Can take a picture later when battery is charged.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Blue and white mold on corms?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
Hmmm......doesn't sound too good, Guff. If the corms feel firm, then perhaps a quick dunk in a fungicidal mixture..... (though I am not sure which of that type of chemical is available right now), then allow to dry before planting.   Perhaps, with a photo, someone will be able to identify the mould  ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »
sounds like blue mould to me. If it is a light infection you could dust the corms in flowers of sulphur
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »
sounds like blue mould to me. If it is a light infection you could dust the corms in flowers of sulphur
For bulbs/corms with tunics, I would rather use a liquid fungicide to be sure of saturating the tunic properly.
Prefer flowers of sulphur for "bald" bulbs.... frits etc!

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »
Why not send them straight back to the supplier, Guff, and ask for the healthy corms you presumably paid for? 
With luck you may even get something extra to compensate you for the mental anguish  :'( ;) 8)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:16:36 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:12:39 PM »
Mark, Maggie thanks for the advice.

I emailed them, just waiting to see what he says I should do. He may want me to send them back, so I don't want to do anything until I hear back first.

They look solid, I haven't taken them out as of yet, they were sent in plastic baggies for some reason inside of a paper bag(had moisture on the inside of bags). The other crocus were in paper bags only. When I take a picture, I will remove them from the plastic baggies, then let them get some air.

On a good note, I did get Heuffelianus Carpathian Wonder, has 3 grow tips. Hopefully I see flowers in the spring, crossing fingers.

The color of the mold is more green (blue green or teal I guess). The Dark Eyes were already replacement from last year 07, only one of the two corms has this mold though. The Dark Eyes corms that I  bought in fall 07 had rotted this past spring 08, and when I went to order replacements, he told me he would replace them for free.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:50:56 PM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 04:02:06 AM »
Here is what they look like.

I took a cotton swab, the mold wiped right off. They look like they will be ok. Will let them dry in paper bag for a day or two before planting.

Thanks for the help, now I can sleep............lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:20:18 AM by Guff »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »
I think at that stage too much damage has been done
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:49:27 AM »
Never having heard of these two varieties I would guess that they are not your everyday 'cheapies'. Send them back.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
Guff, now I see the extent of the mould in the pix.... send them back!

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
If your supplier has an email address, why not send him the pictures of the mould.  This should mean new corms sent without the need to ship the old one back.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. They did clean up easy, but haven't done any poking around to see if they are rotted in spots or not(peeling back the paper), they do feel firm though. There was no new mold spots when I checked them today.

David, they were $7 per corm.

Arthur, yes I sent email and pictures. He said he would replace them, but I told him lets see what they do come spring, then if they don't show send me new ones in the fall. I'm going to be ordering more crocus next year from him. Hes the type of business man I like, one that stand behind his stuff.

I had a headach last year from another bulb company. Was sent two sets of 6 corms of Graecus, one set was suppose to be heuffelianus. When I sent pictures all with the same flower, made excuse after excuse. Saying I tag them wrong, but how can that be when I have two lots all with the same flower. After a month of emails he finally said send them back...........no, I wasted enough time, wasn't worth the effort digging them up and packaging, then running to the post office. But it isn't all bad, those 12 corms turned into 47 Graecus.......lol

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 05:30:54 PM »
Nice pictures on your web site Guff. A great looking Cyclamen garden
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:23:50 AM »
David, thanks. Not my web site though, just a thread I had started trying to learn about growing cyclamen. I had some setbacks, but I think I have finally figured out the problems issues.

Well I peeled back the paper, and it doesn't look good, it's even worse under the paper part of the corm. I resent the pictures. The Dark Eye looks in bad shape, but it does feel solid. The Dark Eye isn't cleaned in the picture, tomorrow I will take a picture of the corm cleaned, battery needs charging again. The Wildlife has been cleaned, the top shoot looks like it's damage. It had the blue green mold all over the top of the corm, under the paper. Feels solid though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:28:39 AM by Guff »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
Fingers crossed that they survive, but whatever result you get the new corms at the end of the season will be set back a LONG way by this.  I would be contacting the supplier and letting him know you definitely want replacements, regardless of whether they grow or not, because even if they do grow I think you will be waiting a year or two until they build up size enough again to flower.  I realise you're trying to give them a chance (and the supplier a chance too), but in this case you've got to accept that they are going to take a while to rebuild, and that replacements would instead be flowering after receipt next year.  At least you have a great relationship with the source.... which is always a relief.  Good suppliers are a wonderful asset.  :D

Good to hear that you have 3 shoots on 'Carpathian Wonder' as that should mean at least 3 corms at the end of the season.  Bonus!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal