We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ Field trips January 2007  (Read 28627 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: NZ Field trips January 2007
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »
Here are a few more images from Mt Burns. According to the list we compiled there were 16 species of Celmisia seen collectively by the party. I managed to photograph nine which leaves 7 unaccounted for.

Celmisia coriacea growing amongst tussocks  A large tufted plant easily recognised by a very conspicuous orange midrib.

Celmisia verbascifolia. This is a very variable plant. Similar plants with brown tomentum on the undersides and margins of the leaf are known as Celmisia traversii.  This particular form found on Mt Burns has variable amounts of brown tomentum round the leaf margins and a prominent purple midrib. It was formerly known as Celmisia  petiolata. So you have a choice of three names to call these Celmisias.

Celmisia petriei Characterised by narrow leaves with the margins rolled inwards. Most plants were not flowering but here is one that was.

Celmisia viscosa More abundant in the drier eastern mountains of the South Island but but extends westward to the wetter margin of eastern Fiordland.

Celmisia holosericea A spectacular plant forming clumps. Unfortunatley not in flower. The plant on the left is Celmisia coriacea.

Celmisia hectori A snowbank plant forming extensive silvery mats.

Celmisia laricifolia A very common small alpine Celmisia.

Celmisia alpina Similar to Celmisa gracilenta but smaller and confined to bogs.

Celmisia sessiliflora Often forms hard tight cushions but the form here is much looser. It is flowering rather sparsely this season.

I thought I saw Celmisia bellidioides growing in the creek on the way up but did not locate it on the way down so missed out on a photo.

Franz, Celmisias do not grow in my garden either.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2007, 10:29:21 AM »
THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE PICTURE SHOW: SURELY THE MAN IN PINK!

I am really and truly enjoying these photographs, am fascinated by the whole setting and the great array of plants you all have shown us.

You may or may not realise that celmisias are as gold nuggets here and appreciated as an excellent, if sometimes difficult, garden plant. Helen Dillon's garden in Dublin and Harold McBride's in Lisburn are probably the best places to see them here in Ireland. Harold took a very keen interest in them for several years and grew as wide a selection as could be seen anywhere in these islands I imagine.

Susan's pinnatifida is the one which captures my heart; it's a wonderful plant.

Many thanks for the enjoyment. It's almost, though not quite, as good as being there with you.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
David,

On this side of the globe I don't think we would ever see such a comprehensive collection of celmesia species illustrated.

Many thanks, Paddy

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »
Paddy,
There are still more images to come. I will post a couple of Aciphylla pinnatifida tonight but the rest will have to wait. The plants are growing almost in running water. There is a male plant and a female plant distinguished by the prominent orange bracts
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 09:29:02 PM by Maggi Young »
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
Now,now Paddy and loyal misguided friend :o
I say to you both there is reason to my madness .My non dress sense is based on the idea that if i ever need rescued in the mountains bright colours stand out.Hence my liking for the pink shirt and purple trousers ,(on the old forum).
In fact if it had been raining i would have been wearing a yellow raincoat.Pink-purple-yellow --now that's a combination easily spotted !! ::)

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:08:46 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2007, 07:40:23 AM »
Dave, that's exactly what I would have said if I were unmasked like you were  8)  ;D   ;)
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »
David,

I am amazed at how wet the ground is in which the aciphylla are growing. I had imagined it would have been a drier situation as I find the lower leaves rot off here and I had attributed that habit to dampness. Obviously, I was completely wrong. Must reaccess  my planting. Come to think of it, a few years ago I planted some in a raised bed where they were dry, particularly so in summer, and lost most of the plants. Perhaps, I should think a bit more of the reasons for failures rather than putting them down to the Irish explanation of, 'It died on me.'

Dave,
Just one further question on your outfits: What colour handbag do you carry with this range of clothing?

Paddy

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2007, 07:52:56 PM »
Paddy,

Aciphylla is a large and diverse genus. Most species would prefer well drained situations. Aciphylla pinnatifida is perhaps an exception growing near or in running water. It is also a snowbank plant.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »
David's right about A. pinnatifida liking lots of moisture and I've seen it growing quite literally under water but that's in the mountains. I've not succeeded with it for more than a couple of years but my late friend June Keeley who lived in Timaru on the east coast of NZ and whose summer is hotter and drier than that of Dunedin, grew it superbly for many years in her open garden, not much moisture at all and in full sun in ordinary "rose garden" soil with no added grit, humus or anything at all. It not only grew and flowered well but the females set seed regularly and the whole lot grew to a large mat of closely packed rosettes, from the stolens. So how can we explain that? June often dug outer rosettes and gave them away, including to me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 05:17:47 AM »
the truth is out - Dave doesn't always wear pink, purple and yellow.  He is trying to hide the truth by diving behind Aciphylla scott-thomsonii but I can definately see grey   :D

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=188.msg3248#msg3248

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
John --i remember that field trip as if it was yesterday.I was asked to stand behind the plant to give an idea of scale.Don't worry i was well away from the monster and my nostrils were safe. ;D

Anyway that was some years back.I was younger and (maybe over-)confident in my ability to stay out of danger in the 'hills'. I few years on and i'm a lot wiser.

Accidents do happen.Just this last fortnight 2 very experienced outdoor enthusiasts from overseas have been killed in separate incidents ,down this way, 'doing their thing'.

Paddy --It's not the colour of the handbag that matters--it's the label--gucchi--armani......
If it's good enough for an All Black rugby star to apply eye liner then i'll admit to wearing effeminate,(voluptuous  :P ),colours  :-*

Cheers new age Dave.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:24:03 PM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 09:32:54 AM »
I got hold of a species list for Mt Burns today and there are 18 species of Celmisia listed so I managed to photograph 50%. There are five species of Aciphylla listed.  I photographed three and saw another, Aciphylla lyallii, which is fairly inconspicuous and grass-like. I am posting the following images

Aciphylla congesta male and female plants, Aciphylla crosby-smithii which was not flowering and Anisotome capillifolia.

A view looking down the ridge of Mt Burns to Island Lake.

Geum uniflorum growing in abundance.

Ourisia sessilifolia, another plant growing and flowering in abundance.

The cushion forget-me-not, Myosotis pulvinaris growing higher up the ridge on an exposed scree.

Hectorella caespitosa growing in a similar position.

The tiny mat-forming Gaultheria, Gaultheria nubicola growing with Celmisia sessiliflora.

Dave, I would not presume to comment on your sartorial taste but I would never have taken you for a jaffa metrosexual not withstanding the comments on this forum.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 09:47:07 AM »
Second thoughts, Dave, maybe the rot set in when Invercargill elected Tim Shadbolt as mayor.

Here are another couple of images which will do for the time being.

Haastia sinclairii growing in a blocky scree.

I could not resist this one, Bulbinella gibbsii var balanifera
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »
FAAAANTAAASTIC PICTURES EVRYONE.

THANK YOU

WHAT A WONDERFUL THING THE FORUM IS ALLOWING US ALL TO SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES, PICTURES AND PLANTS.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »
Ian ,

I think I can speak for all who participated in the trip. It was a perfect day on the mountain and it is our pleasure to share it with you all.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal