We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viola  (Read 3132 times)

Véronique Macrelle

Viola
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »
I call on the Viola grower
 I'm glad that the seed list is published because I can think about my choices.

I like Viola and I would like a little help in choosing which species in SRGC seedlist71 :  :P

Can growers who have experience with these species tell me what are the needs of these species? soil, hardiness, easy or difficult?

Viola bakeri
Viola cunninghamii
 Viola hancockii
 Viola jooi
 Viola mongolica
Viola nutallii
Viola pedata
Viola pedatifida
Viola pumila
Viola sagittata
Viola vaginata

(And I also hope that next year someone will release seeds of Viola odorata Sulphurea ;))

Thank you for your help
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:51:25 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

odvdveer

Re: Viola
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »
Some information on the viola pedata:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=g280
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_pedata

I am going to try it in my crevice garden on pure coarse sand if I get the seeds.

It looks like it needs totally different conditions from the viola pedatafida
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/pr_violetx.htm

brianw

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »
Glad you posted this. I have lost it twice during the summer. Too wet, too much organic, my guess. Germinates ok over a normal UK winter in SE.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »
Speaking from observations in the wild here in Minnesota, USA, Viola pedata prefers pure sand with a neutral to acid pH.  They do best without much visual competition from neighboring plants, and this occurs in the sparse vegetation of dry (pure) sand prairies.  So yes, they are very drought tolerant and want excellent drainage, but even so, I would say about once every ten years the summer foliage dries up prematurely, and it doesn't seem to set them back.  They do not produce cleistogamous seed.

On the other hand,Viola pedatiifida does produce copious amounts of cleistogamous seed.  In the garden, seedlings can be numerous and pesky.  They do prefer a more nutritious soil than pedata, although I have seen both species growing in the same dry pure sand prairies.  But they don't grow side by side.  Pedata will be at or near the tops of the ancient sand dunes, while pedatifida is much lower down or at the bottom, with thicker vegetiation that shades it more.  While pedatifida bloom well in such a situation, it is clear that it prefers a more nutrient retentive and moister soil, as it is never very robust looking there.  The pedata growing above in the drier part of the same prairie, is in its full glory.

I haven't tried pedata in the garden, but pedatifida is very easy.  There is huge variation in pedata flower coloring and petal shape and aspect. Very little variation in pedatifida.  These pics from the same colony of V. pedata:
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
Pics of sand prairie environment.  Last pic taken 2 April. the rusty brown foliage clumps are V. pedata.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »
thank you, it's very interesting.
the photos of viola pedata in natura are beautiful!

odvdveer

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
Thanks for the photos Rick, I hope there are enough seeds in the exchange for me to get some. They are so beautifull and I like a challenge.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

Viola bakeri is found in the high Sierra Nevada of California, northward through the Cascade and Klamath Ranges, northward into Washington State. Populations can also be found in parts of Nevada.

I have experience growing Viola bakeri from seed originating from the Sierra Nevada Mountains in El Dorado County, California. In this region, Viola bakeri is found growing in vernally moist sites in part shade (generally under Pinus contorta ssp. murrayana). The soil is quite acid and xeric conditions prevail in the summer and autumn.

In the garden, I grow Viola bakeri in a very quick draining soil mix. The species is quite xeric, however I find it necessary to provide some water during the summer and autumn. The species is generally covered with snow during the winter. Winter wet can easily be the demise of an otherwise healthy plant. Some protection from excessive winter wet will help greatly. If there are any other questions concerning this species, please ask.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:48:48 AM »
Thanks, Robert!

and germination of stokées seeds? erratic or normal?

the webbed to the right is a lupine leaf?

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
Hi Véronique,
Please let me know in which part of France you are situated.

Knowing this I'll try to give some hints and pass my experience with some of the species mentioned in your list.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
I live in the north of France, between Arras and Douai, not far from Belgium
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:00:58 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
Thanks, Robert!

and germination of stokées seeds? erratic or normal?

the webbed to the right is a lupine leaf?

The photograph was taken in the Sierra Nevada. Yes, it is a Lupine, most likely Lupinus lepidus var. sellulus.

Good luck with your Violas.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
Viola pedata is extremely cute!

Véronique,
I can provide info for V. jooi - which will germinate unregular after receiving cold/moist stratification. I've tried it at warm and didn't work.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »

Véronique,
According your oceanic climate I guess you will not have problems when cultivating most of the species mentioned outside. They all need a good draining and are more or less happy in full sun to partial shade.
Viola jooi and V. pumila should have the additon of lime.
With regard to Vv. bakeri, pedata and pedatifida there are good advices in the preceding contributions. I guess Viola nuttallii has similar demands as V. bakeri. I wasn’t successful when I planted this species outside in a sandbed. (the same with V. pedata, even with protection by a sheet of glass in winter).
I grow most of the species which are new to me or rated as tender in pots inside. This works well in the majority of cases. Some are suffering from the lack of light in winter and so they etiolate.
It is difficult to give universal rules for sowing for the species in your list. I had best results when I sowed as soon as possible, preferably in early autumn under cold/moist conditions.
I hope this will be of some help - if there are additional questions please feel free to ask again.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »
thanks, Gerd and Gabriella

besides local species, I first grow them in pot too and try in the garden when I have enough. But the main reason that prevents them from acclimatizing is that they are devoured by slugs!

Among my native species, here is an amazing Viola odorata alba, as what we see in the photo is its second bloom of the year in May, with flowers twice as wide as in February. As a result, it makes very few cleistogamous flowers in September. 

It appeared spontaneously in my garden. When it fluttered a lot in February, it does not flower much in May. but if the flower is poor in February, it may be a real treat!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:25:07 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal