We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 125387 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #1095 on: April 20, 2022, 10:03:52 PM »
Some of the birds seen recently.

Brambling.

Blackcap.

Mallard with young.

Teal.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1096 on: April 20, 2022, 10:06:58 PM »

Ring Necked Duck with Tufted Ducks.

Goldeneye.

Garganey.

Smew (female).

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1097 on: April 23, 2022, 01:06:37 PM »
Seen recently in a local churchyard were many leaves of Wild Tulip, T. sylvestris. The species were introduced here. I have seen T. sylvestris in North Yorkshire, growing wild.

Growing among conifers were eleven trees whose leaves reminded me of Hornbeam. It turns out that they are a species of Nothofagus, Southern Beech.

A walk along the river to see if the Sand Martins had returned (they have) and I noticed the attached form of Wood Anemone, A. nemorosa.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1098 on: April 25, 2022, 04:54:11 PM »
Todays weather is cold and dull, the same is forecast for the rest of the week. Although it is the end of April, spring seems a good way off yet. I went for a walk up-river for a change this morning. Several Sand Martins were flying over the river along with two Swallows. They must have been seeing insects that were not seen by me. Willow Warblers were singing from bushes and trees. Two Blackcaps were heard. River birds were absent apart from a single Common Tern. A few plants were in flower in more sheltered areas including two Red Campions and a Wood Forget-me-not. An alien species, Green Alkanet, Pentaglottis sempervirens, was in flower. I found Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage in flower in wet areas.

Willow Warbler.

Red Campion.

Wood Forget-me-not.

Green Alkanet.

Opposite leaved Golden Saxifrage.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1099 on: April 28, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
Yesterdays weather was better than forecast. More insects were noticed, including Gorse Shield Bug and Cucumber Spider.

A Heron was on the river bank and managed to catch a small fish.

Leopards Bane, once considered a rare plant in the UK is widespread along the river.

My first sightings of Orange Tip this year.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1100 on: April 28, 2022, 10:31:57 PM »
A Grey Wagtail was in a tree, which I thought was unusual.

Flowers on the Ash trees are almost over.

Sand Martins kept landing on dry mud and only stayed about a second before flying off again. I could not see what they were collecting but their nesting site is not far away.

Several plants of Clustered/sticky Mouse-ear, Cerastium glomeratum, were on the river bank.

Small Tortoishell are here in small numbers as yet. These two seemed to be friendly.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1101 on: May 07, 2022, 11:01:31 PM »
It is more like spring now, with trees coming into leaf. Today was sunny and warm so I went down to the river again. Insects are more noticeable in the sunshine. Seen on a leaf was what I think might be an Early Mining Bee.

A good number of male Orange Tip butterflies were on the wing, no sign of females yet. An old plant stem was seen which may have been a Rose-bay Willowherb. It seems to have been the victim of Fasciation.

Yellow Archangel is just in flower.

Birds-eye Speedwell was seen.

A Skylark was heard singing but was on the ground instead of in flight.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1102 on: May 07, 2022, 11:07:04 PM »
Common Fumitory is growing along some of the field edges.

A White Wagtail was by the river, along with Pied and Grey Wagtails.

A pair of Goldfinch were collecting nest material.

The nest, containing Lichens, is in a Gorse bush.

Among the birds seen were, common tern, common gull, oyster catcher, common sandpiper, goosander, dipper, osprey, sedge warbler and heron.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 11:10:09 PM by ian mcdonald »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1103 on: May 12, 2022, 08:50:51 PM »
Today there has been a cold wind from the south. I seem to remember the same last year, more like winter.

On the track by the river was a Garden Tiger caterpillar. I moved it into the grass.

Bush Vetch, Vicia sepium is usually a dull red/purple but some are nearly white.

Pink Spanish Bluebells are in several spots.

Water Sedge is growing along the river bank.

There were a number of St. Marks Flies on vegetation, keeping out of the wind.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1104 on: May 12, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »
Bay Willow is in flower.

Nootka Lupins are growing in one place next to the river. Introduced from North America.

Water Avens are just coming into flower by the river.

Red Campion (not pink as in some Southern areas) stand out well among other vegetation.

A less common species these days is the Greenfich.

Among the other birds seen today were sand martins, house martins, swallows and my first swifts of this year. Three sedge warblers, whitethroat, common terns, common gulls, oyster catchers and two buzzards.

Vinny 123

« Reply #1105 on: May 12, 2022, 09:38:51 PM »
When I moved here over 20 years ago, greenfinches were almost everywhere. I inherited a large conifer "plantation" around half the plot and if we had a storm at the wrong time, there were nests, eggs and (dead) chicks all over the ground. They are now uncommon.
Now - it is almost impossible to spend any time outdoors and not hear the tinkling calls of goldfinches.

There are quite a few theories that have been floated about the demise of the one and the rise of the other.
I am unconvinced, so far.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1106 on: May 16, 2022, 04:12:23 PM »
The warmer weather over the week-end brought sightings of Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat.

I saw my first Speckled Wood of this year.

Also, the first female Orange Tip.

Mayflies were on the wing along the river.

I was talking to someone along the river and was told that Ospreys are shot. If you know of an instance where wild birds are killed you can report it to the Police on 101 or the RSPB who have an anonymous phone line.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1107 on: May 19, 2022, 10:49:12 PM »
Wild plants have come into flower along the river in the last few days. Common Comfrey will be known to many, also the yellow flowers of Tuberous Comfrey.

Round-leaved Cranesbill is a short plant of barer areas.

Wood Cranesbill is a taller species which prefers damp shady sites.

Thyme-leaved Speedwell is a tiny plant, sometimes growing in lawns.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1108 on: May 19, 2022, 11:00:32 PM »
In my post of May 16th. I showed an image of a female Orange Tip. I have now started finding the eggs of this butterfly on its preferred plant, Hedge Garlic.

A Green Veined White was along the river.

I think the beetle may be a Dead-nettle Leaf Beetle.

Herons are a fairly common site standing patiently for small fish.

Due to the expensive fuel prices at garages I,m having to stay local and go for short walks along the river or past the local golf course. There is still plenty of wildlife to be seen but the variety is more limited. There are at least three sedge warblers in residence, usually they are heard singing from the cover of bushes but just sometimes they venture into the open.

Lets hope that we get back to more like "normal" soon.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1109 on: May 22, 2022, 08:15:21 PM »
Two Banded Long-horn Beetles? are common here just now.

Along the river bank I found what I think might be a Badgers latrine?

I have only seen two Osprey up till now. This one turned away when it saw me, making a poor photo.

Changing Forget-me-Not is a tiny flower which opens yellow then changes to blue.

This Angle Shades moth was in my sisters garden.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal