We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A newbies view of alpines and showing  (Read 2884 times)

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
A newbies view of alpines and showing
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
I thought you might be interested in the blog post I have written on visiting my local AGS group's plant show at the weekend. 

I have written a blog for years so I hope people dont mind me including the link to the post here http://patientgardener.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/stunning-alpines/

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: A newbies view of alpines and showing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Helen - why don't you put in some of your flower paintings, along with Primula marginata, to the Alpine Shows? I wouldn't say you were far from expert and however much I like photographs, botanical art catches flowers in a way that is never possible with a camera. There are a few artists, like Rosemary Cox, who give talks and some astonishingly good artists in the AGS. At our Rainham Show we also had an individual display of the work done by Rosemary Powis, who was Secretary of our Group for nearly 20 years, which included a wonderful study of brussel sprouts!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
Re: A newbies view of alpines and showing
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »
There is an art category at our local show and there was only one lady entered.  Her paintings and drawings were excellent but I did think I might give it a go.  My watercolours arent up to her standard and I have decided I dont really like watercolour as I am just too ham fisted but I have a yean to do some drawing again so I might see what photographs I can find on the web to work from.
Thanks for the support

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal