We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythroniums in Cultivation - seeking interest in a printing of the e-book  (Read 1537 times)

hwscot

apologies if I've missed this and there's a more recent thread ..

I seem to recall a message somewhere from David saying that 2017 would be his last time arranging a printing, and I'm wondering if anyone else has arranged one since, or is considering.

I have been wondering about arranging to print a copy for myself, and I might just be persuaded to organise it if others are interested. If so, I'd appreciate guidance from Ian and / or those who've done this before, on how to set the file up for the printer. FWIW I've a bit of experience with design software and print management.

Also wondering, as things open up again, if there are any plans for another Erythronium festival like the one at Inverewe.

There has been some interest in another printing and binding of Ian's book. My Printer would need at least ten copies to make the work viable for him. Cost last time was £32.00 per copy plus the cost of postage.

If you are interested let me know as soon as you can please.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:22:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Harry
Montrose
You can take the lad out of Leeds, but you can't ..

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Harry

I think it was the printer that David used that set up for the print run he did, I got some copies made at that time, also through David, so I cannot help you in that.

Ian

http://www.srgc.net/filessub/general/ERYTHRONIUMS-IN-CULTIVATION%20-2016-IanYoung.pdf
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:20:45 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

hwscot

I have been wondering about arranging to print a copy for myself, and I might just be persuaded to organise it if others are interested.

Have done a bit of investigating. If I prepare the files myself, and assuming 15 to 20 copies, it looks as if it may well be possible to produce copies at or below David's previous price of £32. Postage at cost on top of that. I have no idea what the present costs would be of sending copies to the US.

Ian has told me of someone willing to take 5 copies if that makes the print run feasible (it certainly helps). I would have a couple of copies for myself. So if there were a clear commitment for, say, another 10 copies, I would be willing to take the process through to final quotes from a couple of printers. Obviously, the bigger the print run, the lower the price.

This would not be quick. There is a lot of prep work to do, and I will only be able to work on it occasionally. I won't dive into that work until I'm confident there will be a print run. But having looked in more detail at what needs to be done, I'm persuaded it's manageable, so if there is the demand, I will go ahead.

Maggi, does this perhaps warrant a fresh thread specifically to assess the potential demand for a print run?

Harry
Harry
Montrose
You can take the lad out of Leeds, but you can't ..

cristoff

• Pleione Noob
I would be very interested in (1) copy. Would gladly pay for the shipping to Canada.
Tried getting a copy produced myself and some of the quotes I received were eye-watering.

Philip R

Hi, its been a few years, but did you ever get a run of books printed?
Kind regards
Phil

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Hi, its been a few years, but did you ever get a run of books printed?
Kind regards
Phil

Sorry but no there is no plan that I know of to print a run of books but you are welcome to get one printed for yourself.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

MarcR

If the cost before shipping is  30£ or less, I will purchase one.

I am not trying to make any assessment of what the book is worth; only what my finances will allow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 02:29:22 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal