We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Grow From Seed / Re: Cyclamen Bioag Ful-Power experiment
« Last post by Guff on Today at 11:40:41 PM »
Taken today, it's finally been warm enough at night to get them outside. Still putting on a show, but no pure white Alba flowers. Some fade to a white shade.

Cultivation Problems / Re: Pest Problem
« Last post by Zeke on Today at 03:47:16 PM »
I had a similar issue with some plants I was growing. It's frustrating how they seem to pop up out of nowhere, even in brand new compost and pots! One thing I learned from my own experience is the importance of keeping an eye on the quality of the soil and pots we use. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, pests like aphids can hitch a ride on new materials. It sounds like you're already taking proactive steps with that Neem oil mixture, which is great! If you're looking for more long-term solutions or prevention tips, I came across this helpful site, richlandpestbee.com, that offers some great insights into organic pest control methods. Might be worth checking out for some additional advice.
Hi everyone, this is my first message.

The Lord of The Rings is a book with millions of fans over the world, and Professor Tolkien himself was a great admirer of plants and flowers.
The remarkable detail of the flora described in his books proves this beyond any reasonable doubt.

Over the years, there have been extensive attempts to identify IRL counterparts for the literary depicted Athelas from The Lord of The Rings Book.
Here is an exquisite thread with the interesting suggestions emerged on stackexchange.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/244820/is-kingsfoil-derived-from-basil

However, no consistent attempt has been recorded to date in trying to identify the real plant used as Athelas in The Lord of The Rings and Hobbit movies.
The one entered into the collective imagination and recognized worldwide as Athelas.

So I started a thread on stack exchange, https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/287690/which-plant-was-used-as-athelas-in-lotr-hobbit-movies and on European, New Zealand, and British Columbia Botanical forums in order to gather hypoteses, and check them. So this is officially a worldwide attempt of identification.

Presently, the European Botanists advise tend to exclude the Lamiaceae family and to point the attention towards Chaenostoma cordatum or a white Periwinkle species. Here some images.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=501464

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic, according to your experience.

Here the pictures I gathered from the scenes where Athelas appears, collected at a 0.25x speed in order to be as defined as possible, along with the videos at the exact moment.
0:50
https://youtu.be/0d0ZslGu6x8?t=50
2:45
https://youtu.be/RN7bIFTLOPU?t=165
0:00

Thanks to all who will join.

Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by arisaema on Today at 10:30:18 AM »
"Dad" (M. quintuplinervia) opened his first flowers today, so I could get some comparison pics. Not sure if this is 3 or 4 different clones, they're all spreading, I'm guessing the clumping ones may have perished from lack of division over the years.

Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Paeonia 2024
« Last post by GordonT on Today at 01:34:37 AM »
[quote author=Jürg P link=topic=19512.msg434064#msg434064 date=1714117172

Does anybody of you know the name of the following cultivar (I got it under the name of 'Quing Long Wo Mo Chi'); the flowers are most time double, but sometimes also only semi-double as seen on one of the 2 pictures? The plant itself only gets to a height of around 40cm, but I really like the flowers especially when they are only semi-double.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
[/quote]

Hello Jurg, you might want to ask the folks at Cricket Hill Nursery in Connecticut, USA. They have an extensive collection of tree peonies, far beyond what they list in their catalogue. Many are Chinese cultivars, so perhaps they could identify your impressive plant.

Cheers,

Gordon
General Forum / Re: Special visitor
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 01, 2024, 08:50:58 PM »
Lillian Greenwood has passed away.

We heard the sad news of Lillian's passing earlier, in April, from Malcolm Siddall - a mutual friend. Lillian was 97 years old. We rather hoped she would make it to 100, like her Grandma.  She, like Lawrence, will be very much missed. She annd Lawrence always attended as many SRGC Shows and events as they could and were a popular pair, and Lawrence's paintings were always a delight to behold.  I'm glad so many of us have the pleasure of remembering the pair of them whenever we look at the paintings.

The Greenwoods  hardly ever missed an SRGC event and supported many with a display of Lawrence's lovely watercolour paintings of the flowers they enjoyed in their garden, those places they visited, or somtimes from slides taken by friends who had photographically captured some great plants in the wild. They were both keen AGS members, too, of course.

After Lawrence's death, Lillian worked tirelssly to maintain their beloved garden and was sensible enough to take help from friends when it was offered.
Their son Tim and daughter in law Valerie  live  near London.

Sadly, she spent the last couple of weeks of her life  away from home, in a nursing home, and died on Tuesday 23rd April.  As Lawrence had always been, Lillian was always friendly and helpful to those she met at Shows or weekend events and was a real favourite with all who were lucky enough to know her. She was one of those people who never forgot a birthday and always sent a beautifully written card ( her handwriting was perfect)  often decorated with a photo of one of Lawrence's paintings.  Special dates will never be the same again, now she is gone.
  Lillian will be as sadly missed as her beloved Lawrence.
« Last post by Stefan B. on May 01, 2024, 06:46:22 PM »
A little more imagination is needed to see the orange color... in fact when it starts to overbloom the color changes to orange, it's kind of reassuring.  :)

P. potaninii ‚Orange-Rot‘
« Last post by Stefan B. on May 01, 2024, 07:42:08 AM »
That is lovely Stefan! I tried to buy 'Hephestos' but the plant I was sent flowered pale cream...
This is very annoying, sorry!  I have been looking for this variety for a long time at an affordable price, I have been happy with it for several years.
« Last post by Gail on April 30, 2024, 09:04:17 PM »
That is lovely Stefan! I tried to buy 'Hephestos' but the plant I was sent flowered pale cream...
« Last post by Stefan B. on April 30, 2024, 05:47:26 PM »
I am very impressed by the deep red color of this peony.

Paeonia suffruticosa 'Hephestos'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal