General Subjects > Alpines

Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....

<< < (2/267) > >>

mark smyth:
You do

Stone Rider:

--- Quote from: Stone Rider on December 10, 2009, 04:53:53 PM ---
 schist side-walls , J. Papousek, Czechia
 schist faces of layers, J. Papousek, Czechia

--- End quote ---
one more picture  of     schist side-walls.  J. Papousek,Czechia   

Stone Rider:
When you concentrate your effort of an older experienced individual, you will probably build your last stony outcrop. It must be in your eyes aesthetical sculpture (if not, you have the freedom to improve it towards your own “picture”). It will be first a silent beauty but after processes of planting and replanting with lovely flowers, this dumb lovely rock would start to speak and then:  it is the classic antique story of Pygmalion in your own small theatre with long lasting happy end.

mark smyth:
Jiri has remade his garden?! Wow!

Stone Rider:
Now to Northern Ireland

Margaret Glynn is marvelous woman in our rock gardening circle. She perfectly organized rebuilding of small rock garden a representative of Ulster Group of the AGS in Antrim.
Antrim is Forum Hero Mark Smyth’s headquarter and place of the Ulster Show too.

The place, which the Group obtained in the large garden of the local horticultural college, was squeezed in one corner, but I tried to raise it with small stones maximally up just to be seen.
Margaret organized large trailer and I was able to select and load some suitable stones in a 200 miles distant quarry including chippings for top dressing. If you do rock work in the rain it is fine to be at a sand hill. Sand is not sticky like a soil.

I believe that many Saxifraga cultivars (from Ron MacBeath nursery) will enjoy this sandy root run and I hope that Mark Smyth can direct his powerful Canon to show you the progress there in following spring.
I did not see a picture of this wee outcrop in flower. Mark is
fiddling around his pots and ignore something important close to him. :-X  It
is a pain not to see one of my babies growth! 

We bought also plenty plants (including dwarf rhododendrons) from one famous Irish nursery.
The Rockwork was organized as a work shop for college students (and lecturers too) together with a lecture about crevice gardening and its plants. Students did planting and topdressing of the outcrop under my conducting. Margaret also managed elegant black labels and pen with silver paint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version