We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: House Orchids 2023  (Read 962 times)

GordonT

House Orchids 2023
« on: February 03, 2023, 11:56:05 PM »
Several decades ago, I was finally able to purchase a seedling of a long-coveted plant... Paphiopedilum rothschildianum. Sadly my inexpert care at the time sealed the plant's fate, and it ended up in that great compost heap in the sky. Many years later (and wiser, I hope), I had an opportunity to purchase a mature plant in 2021. The seller couldn't tell me much about its parentage, just that "It is from Taiwanese breeding. I know you'll love it."

I am happy to say that they were right! The latest mature growth is now in bloom for the first time under my care. Three buds matured to flowering (there was a fourth embryonic one that never developed into anything). This growth is also putting out two new leads, one a bit older and more advanced than the other, so I guess I am doing something right. The oldest flower has almost finished expanding, though the lateral petals may add a little more length. I've included a photo with a ruler, for size reference. (I would have liked to attach larger images but was unable to do so)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 11:57:58 PM by GordonT »
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

MarcR

Re: House Orchids 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 01:15:00 AM »
Gordon,

Paphiopedilums with unmarked leaves are probably the easiest orchids to grow [unless that honor goes to Phalanopsis]. Paphiopedalums with mottled leaves are much more dificult.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Australis

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 07:06:59 AM »
That's a beautiful Paph. rothschildianum, Gordon. Well done.

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 08:17:48 AM »
That's a beautiful Paph. rothschildianum, Gordon. Well done.

Indeed!
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 

GordonT

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 04:01:20 PM »
Thanks everyone, I am glad to have it in bloom right now, as it keeps my mind off of the horrid weather that arrived suddenly yesterday. Up until then, we've had an incredibly mild winter, so the visiting polar vortex is thoroughly unwelcome! The temperature dropped to -23 C last night, with wind chill values approaching -40 C. The temperature has risen to a "balmy" - 16 C at the moment, but the wind is still howling. Even the dogs don't want to go outside. We'll be back above freezing by tomorrow.

GordonT

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 04:46:05 PM »
Here is wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season. Just in time for Christmas, Cycnoches warscewiczii, one of the 'Swan Orchids' has come into bloom. Although I have had the plant for three years now, this is only its second time blooming under my care (last year I managed to damage the developing flower spike, and it aborted). This is the first time it is carrying two blooms, and the fragrance is intoxicating. We thought it was strong in 2021 with one flower. The whole main floor of the house smells somewhat like "Juicy Fruit" chewing gum.

717879-0

Earlier this year, a few other orchids decided to bloom, but I had troubles attaching acceptably sized photos to share with the group. Vanda Princess Mikasa 'Blue' actually is just finishing its second flowering of the year( fully six months of bloom this year!). This year's blooms have really improved in colour and size!

717881-1

Lastly, a new orchid joined the group in April 2023. This is Lycaste puntarenasensis var. boquete. Received as a bare root division, I was happy to see it in bloom this summer after its trip here from Ecuador. The newest growth looks as if it may send out a flower or two in the next month.

717883-2

MarcR

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 03:58:30 AM »
Gordon,

The Lycaste is beautiful; and very well grown.
Congratulations!   Well Done!
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Jeffnz

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 08:44:27 PM »
I agree with Gordon the lycaste has a remarkable colour and structure, you are lucky that plants can be imported into Canada,great vanda.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal