We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC seed exchange in 2022/2023  (Read 7050 times)

CRSHEP0

Re: SRGC seed exchange in 2022/2023
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2022, 06:01:10 PM »
I have been trying to order since last Saturday in the USA.  It will not connect.  I put order in on that day, but it would not allow me to pay.
It kept shifting me to the surpus order, where I originally put in one seed, and recognized that was wrong, which I finally erased.
This must be frustrating for all the many volunteers for the web site.  Thank you for the post for keeping people informed. Cecile Shepard

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 10:09:15 PM »
This is very frustrating for the volunteers who are looking after the Seed operation.  It seems to be taking longer than expected to fix.  Please bear with us whilst the webhosting company and data centre sort out the problem.  It looks like it may be tomorrow before this is mended.

Cecile, I think your problem is different.  Please email seed(at)srgc.net to ask for help if you are still having any problems when the website comes back onlne.   Dave Millward is there and should be able to assist you.

Update 6 December from our Webhosting supplier:
Dear Clients,  One of our Host servers was blocked yesterday by the Switch at the Datacenter.  We removed the initial block on the Host server caused by the switch port connected to the server. It had been automatically disabled by the system, as the traffic going through this port had reached Storm Control Limits.
However due to a possibility of blocking the server again, We are now moving VMs to other servers.  We will start all VPS after we move them to new Servers during the day.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Kind Regards
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:00:39 AM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2022, 11:28:05 AM »
Our website is back up and running now. Sorry for the delay, which was entirely outwith our control.

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »

Our Seed Exchange ORDERING CLOSES at midnight (UK time) THIS FRIDAY 6 January 2023.

We CAN send out seed to members living in the EU, Australia and the Rest of the World, despite Brexit and phytosanitary certificate restrictions.

Members only have a short time left to order their seed.  Visit our Main SRGC website at https://www.srgc.net, then Log in, and choose Seed Exchange, then Order My Seed.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:35:51 AM by Richard Green »

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2023, 06:58:27 AM »
I hope that one day, we Europeans will again have the right to order surplus seeds... is there any hope?
25 species to germinate is not much for me (I have many other desires on this beautiful list!) ::)
and moreover, it allowed me to organize "seedling workshops" in my local SAJA section.
In any case, your exchange site works wonderfully: it's very easy to place an order.
thank :)

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2023, 10:10:56 AM »
Veronique,

There is no physical problem at all with sending seeds to European countries.   The big problem is the cost of obtaining a phytosanitary certificate.  The EU require this certificate to allow seed into European countries.  The cost of obtaining this certificate is based on the time spent inspecting the seeds here in the UK, and it is very expensive - far too expensive for our members.

Several UK plant societies have started discussions with the UK Government about designing a Small Lots of Seed scheme (like applies to USA), but of course this will require agreement with Europe.  The UK does not have a strong bargaining position in Europe at the moment, so I think this will not happen for many years, if ever - malheureusement!

Meanwhile, I have 3 ideas to obtain more seed next year.  Become a Family membership (2 main orders of 25 packets), or ask your husband to renew as a member, or talk to SAJA.  The SAJA Library in Paris is a complimentary member of SRGC, and can order seed too.

MarcR

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
Veronique,
Several UK plant societies have started discussions with the UK Government about designing a Small Lots of Seed scheme (like applies to USA), but of course this will require agreement with Europe.  The UK does not have a strong bargaining position in Europe at the moment, so I think this will not happen for many years, if ever - malheureusement!   .....

Richard,

I think it could happen quite quickly if UK members and plant societies would pressure the UK government agency involved; and EU members & plant societies pressured the EU government agency involved.
While the EU may not be motivated to cooperate with the UK; they might very well respond to the interests & desires of their own people.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2023, 12:27:29 PM »
Seed Picking is proceeding well at Westerton Church Hall.  Last week, we picked seed for both donors and non-donors main orders.  Most UK main orders (both donor and non-donor) were mailed out on Friday or Saturday, and I hear that some have already arrived, although they are going out by second class mail.  We shall start picking surplus orders this coming week, so UK members will receive separate mailing for main and surplus seed.

709769-0

Overseas orders require more work before we can mail them out - as follows: 

EU, Australia, and Ireland (both north and south) - these orders will be delayed whilst we obtain phytosanitary certificates.

USA - these orders require Seed Lists and Permit documentation, and will be mailed out later this coming week.  USDA APHIS inspections on arrival in the USA will delay their delivery to members as usual.

New Zealand - these orders require Seed Lists, and will also be mailed out later this coming week.  Inspections on arrival in NZ may delay their delivery to members as usual.

Rest of world - (including Canada, Norway, etc) these orders will be mailed out during this coming week.

PLEASE NOTE that due to last week's cyber attack, UK Royal Mail advise that there are currently NO overseas deliveries being processed.  We shall therefore mail out overseas orders whenever it becomes possible.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:30:01 PM by Richard Green »

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2023, 12:30:41 PM »
Thx for the Update:-)
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2023, 02:11:21 PM »
Richard, thank you for letting us know how things are progressing. And thank you so much all the volunteers picking our seeds! :)
I hope you have fun also in spite of all the work.
Leena from south of Finland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2023, 09:48:14 PM »
My seed arrived safely yesterday and have been sown today. Many thanks to all involved.  :)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2023, 08:08:56 AM »
Thank you for keeping us informed.
 It's nice to see you working for us, and with a smile too!

if I wasn't so far away I would love to come and participate

ian mcdonald

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2023, 03:51:28 PM »
Seed arrived today, thanks.

David2carver

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »
Mine arrived on saturday, thank you all! Not bad for posting down to Devon

Margaret

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2023, 05:39:59 PM »
My seed arrived today. Many thanks to everyone involved.

Does anyone have tips on germinating Mutisia? I've tried twice and failed. It would be great if this is third time lucky!
Margaret
Greenwich

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal