Seedy Subjects! > Seed Exchange

Seed Identification project- notes

<< < (2/18) > >>

Maggi Young:
At this time of year many of you have been busy seed collecting. May I ask you a favour?
As you collect and clean the seed, would you please take photos of the various seed types you have, spread on 1mm graph paper to show the scale, and send the named photos to me in the first instance.
The idea will be to post them, eventually, in a special seed ID section of the forum and produce a "library" of  photos of seed likely to be found in the seed exchanges of the SRGC, NARGS and  AGS .

We are trying to compile a file of photos of correctly named seed to help identify true seed for packers of the seed exchanges and to let folks see if the seed they "think" they have bears any resemblence to the true type seed at all!
It would be very helpful if forumists with seed they know to be true, would be so kind as to take part in this project.  It will be an enormous task, taking many years to amass a full list of seeds likely to be of interest to rock gardeners, but with many helpers we hope progress can be made.
I do hope you will all consider taking part in this project.

Lori S.:
Where would one send or post these photos? 

Lesley Cox:
As you see Lori, Maggi is getting a photo file together of seeds of all kinds so probably best to send them to her. I really envy Maggi in that she does so much it is quite obvious she has managed to introduce the 36 hour day. I wish she'd share how she did this.

Lori S.:
Okay, got it.  I wasn't clear on this, due to the mention also of a "special seed ID section of the forum", which obviously will arise sometime in the future.  Thanks.

Maggi Young:
Hi, Lori,
Yes, as Lesley says, please send me the pix meantime. We are trying to work out the best way to arrange the forum or website section. Idea would be to have a main area here where all would be available online then also have some method (cd ) to be able to share with other societies. I have edited my inital post to make it clearer. :)
All in planning stage at present but I will collate the photos here:  info AT srgc.org.uk

Lesley, sadly I have not mastered the 36 hour day.... I have however, given up my promising career in classical music, my popular belly dancing performances, and my bid for membership of the 2012 Olympic high jump team .... but no matter, some things are worth a little personal sacrifice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version