We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Darchula District Far West Nepal 2012  (Read 45481 times)

Susann

Re: Darchula District Far West Nepal 2012
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
Wow, what an interesting report! And the pictures! The first especially appealed to me. ( Yes, I know we are supposed to care about the plants, but still, the landscape is breathtaking) I once red a report from an expedition in Kashmir, and found it very interesting. But this way, with lots of photos it was much better of course. I really want to thank you for taking your time to share this with us. I hope you are going to add more.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
It has been a while since I updated the thread and as the dog has been walked and the drive cleared might as well take the opportunity.

I recently submitted the final report to the exploration committee and I’m modifying to something that suits the Rock Garden. This evenings offering is just going to be some nice pictures of plants that have had the determinations done. 

The collection statistics now stands at 1181 collections covering 121 families and 383 genera for flowering plants and ferns. There are still 129 collections only identified to Family and 52 collections as completely unknown.

Allium prattii grew in the remnant Betula-Sorbus forest.

Anaphalis nepalensis grew in extensive patches in the flood plain near Joge Tal at 3800m.

Leontopodium himalayanum grew around and on the glacier at Bobaye at 4100m.

Finally my favourite Corydalis was Corydalis elegans. We only found a couple of times one was my collection east of the Bobaye glacier at about 4200m.

I'll leave with you plant name anecdote. One plant we were looking for is the Western Nepalese endemic Primula ramzanae - which we didnt find. It was originally collected by Polunin Sykes & Williams (PSW) 42 in 1952. Turns out that the nepalese all laugh about this species because of the name.

Presumably a conversation between one of PSW asked a local went like this.
"What do you call this plant?" said PS or W.
"ramzanae" said the local.
"Oh ramzanae you say, I'll write that down. Primula ramzanae has a good ring to it." said in PS or W.

Bhaskar the Nepalese botanist based at RBGE tells me that ramzanae translates as "god knows" so now replay the conversation with the translation. It still makes me chuckle.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:20:24 PM by alanelliott »
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
Wow, what an interesting report! And the pictures! The first especially appealed to me. ( Yes, I know we are supposed to care about the plants, but still, the landscape is breathtaking) I once red a report from an expedition in Kashmir, and found it very interesting. But this way, with lots of photos it was much better of course. I really want to thank you for taking your time to share this with us. I hope you are going to add more.

The landscape was pretty amazing. But we had very few days where we had blue skies and snow capped peaks visible because of the monsoon. We were very lucky to get a break in the weather for a couple of days when we were at our base camp at Joge Tal - that you can just make out in the photo you are refering to.

Al
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Susann

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »
Thank you for adding some more information and BEAUTIFUl pictures. I will keep an eye on this thread! And yes, language can be tricky, one have to watch out. But it makes it very easy to remember that species for the rest of the life, right?
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Prabin

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »
Did you find Clematis confusa in your field visit to Darchula?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal