We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Polygonatum, A pictorial guide  (Read 99849 times)

john122

Re: Polygonatum, A pictoral guide
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
This has now been identified as Polygonatum tessellatum. Thanks to Aaron Flodden.

allen.fred1226@gmail.com

« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »
What is the shortest time I can vernalize Polygonatum seed. I’ve heard of refrigerating and taking them out and refrigerating again but does anyone have the specific details?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »
What is the shortest time I can vernalize Polygonatum seed. I’ve heard of refrigerating and taking them out and refrigerating again but does anyone have the specific details?
Hello, welcome to the  Forum!  I've  moved  your  question here, which I think suits  it  better.
Cheers,
 Maggi
Forum Dogsbody!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2020, 03:35:58 PM »
Hi Fred,

You can email me directly if want more details about germination. It depends on the species is the best answer! The alternate temperate species of sect. Polygonatum require a minimum of 30 days cold, but need a warm period after that and then cold again, before producing a leaf. Species of sect. Verticillata vary with the alpine or high elevation verticillate-leaved species typically needing the above treatment, but some small percentage will germinate immediately and produce a leaf. Species in series Punctata and series Oppositifolia mostly are immediate epigeal, but cathcartii has a double dormancy. Series Grandiflora (huanum, kingianum, et al.) are immediate hypogeal with some immediate epigeal. The only species in sect. Sibirica, P. sibiricum, is double dormant.

The related Disporopsis is immediate epigeal and Heteropolygonatum seems to behave as double dormant for the few seeds I've been fortunate to be able to try.
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
I'll post my sad little enquiry here because this is the most active Polygonatum thread, but please move it Maggi if you think it fits better elsewhere :-*.

Can someone please confirm whether this is P. zanlanscianense?
If so is it a poor clone, and does it have a viral infection?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Azkabanus

« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2022, 06:06:28 PM »
Thank you very much for the pictures! This information helped me a lot.

MarcR

« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2023, 10:32:56 PM »
Thank you, Aaron (& others) for a very interesting & helpful thread!

Marc
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal