Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

coco in seedling substrate

(1/2) > >>

Véronique Macrelle:
to perfect the drainage of my most delicate seedlings, i wanted to try adding coco fibre to my substrate.
 I bought a dehydrated block of coco for terrarium, in a garden center. (quite expensive)

but I was told that it could contain too much salt for the plants.  :-[

does anyone use it and how, please?
what kind of coco should I use for seedlings?

Graeme:
If it just a Coco block then it should have no salt in it whatsoever

Have you googled the product/manufacturer?

The stuff I get in the UK is sold online by firms who seem to support the hemp growing industry ;) - you just add water, and it fluffs up to about 10ltrs - last time I bought some it was about £1 a block and I still have about 60 blocks in the shed

If I am using it for seed growing, I tend to mix it 50/50 with cat litter or 50/50 with perlite or 50/50 with vermiculite

Depends on what you are trying to germinate - it's good stuff - clean and weed free

brianw:
Early coco fibre products had a reputation of being prepared in coastal/beach side premises; hence contamination with sea water and salt (NaCl) If you want to be sure wash it a few times with clean water before use; filtered rain water should be Cl free; but most mains water too I expect unless your water supplier is on the coast. Note most water softeners use salt if you have a softener in the house.

MarcR:
Véronique,

It should not contain salt, but you can wash it to be sure.
Véronique,

There are several options for 'how to use it:

1) It can be used as a planting medium similar to orchid bark. In this case you need to add all plant nutrients as in hydroponics.

2) It can be used as a substrate to prevent soil caking or drying out between waterings.

3) It can be used as a soil amendment to keep soil from caking and improve water retention and drainage

Marc

Véronique Macrelle:
thank you very much :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version