We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula moupinensis  (Read 1755 times)

brianw

Primula moupinensis
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
I acquired a pot of this recently. A central plant with 3 offsets/runners on stalks, a bit like strawberry plants. When I got it they were just 3 leaves on the offsets but now they have nice bulbous centres, as does the main plant. What happens next? Do I have to root them by pinning them down onto pots, i.e. layering, before separation from the parent rosette? There is no sign of roots at present and the "runner" stalks are quite substantial.
I know they are better suited to Aberdeen weather than the Thames valley but I like a challenge.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula moupinensis
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
When the offsets have rooted themselves, the stolon will wither. If the offsets have not made roots  by late Autumn then the offsets are likely to wither also.  It doesn't hurt to pin them down - lightly - to hold them in place and maximise their chances to put  down some roots.

You can see how they can make good colonies at Cluny House in Perthshire  in the IRG of March 2012  http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2012Apr031333442629IRG27-March2012.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »
Thanks Maggie. More or less as I assumed, but the problem is the offsets are well clear of the main plant in its pot, so either a very much larger pot or satellite pots with the problem of keeping it all rigid. There is little or no flexibility in the runners, unlike strawberry plants. I will check the local GC for a suitable shallow bowl or use something like a biscuit "tin".

brianw

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:45 PM »
Found an old plastic hanging basket base. Just about the right size and depth. Pinned the runners down and weighed them with strips of broken roof tiles. Now just wait I guess.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »
I'm intrigued, Brian,
can you post a pic of how you've done this?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

brianw

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:50 PM »
The pan (plastic hanging basket base) is 12" across. You can make out the original pot with the label in, just. I will separate the plants later; all being well. (It is not usually in the sun, just for the photo)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
Thanks, Brian,
not a plant I'd have a hope of growing here but I'm always interested in different plants particularly if you can propagate them in unusual ways,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal