We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: How do you get Lithodora Heavenly Blue to flower better?  (Read 3602 times)

newstart

How do you get Lithodora Heavenly Blue to flower better?
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
I noticed my Heavenly Blue did not flower to well at all. I planted it in a copious amount of peat admitidly with no grit. It seems very healthy indeed still. Back in summer it did not flower much as I say. I read recently that its been over cultivated and this is starting to happen more and more. How do I overcome this? does anyone know. May be a dose of tomato feed next summer?

Also this may sound a bit daft. I have a large amont of red bin bags from the council which are no longer useable due to them changing the colours recently. I read somewhere in the distant passed that either blue or red shading can produce good growth results and thought I might do a fun test. Although I could be wrong its a long while ago I read it.

Both questions should make interesting reading. Once again thank you its such a wonderful forum and very enjoyable. Having said that may be I should see that I am no longer a newbie having 3 stars up against newstarts name. I ought to change that name maybe as well !
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:24:14 PM by Maggi Young »
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: How do you get Lithodora Heavenly Blue to flower better?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:28:29 AM »
Try for the red shading David. As they say, "Nothing ventured........" Failing that, have you ever looked at the website for the World of Wearable Art? An NZ site with much exciting stuff. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:05:13 AM »
I noticed my Heavenly Blue did not flower to well at all. I planted it in a copious amount of peat admitidly with no grit.

I don't know whether mine is Heavenly Blue, but it has flowered brilliantly every year for over 30 years.
Poor soil. No irrigation.  It also puts up occasional flowers outside the usual season.

Here it is in May with Paeonia kavachensis, various Pacific Coast Iris hybrids and Euphorbia characias.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

newstart

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
I once saw a fashion documentory where people cut bin bags into fashionable looking clothing. Not for me, I am sure your site is better Lesley. Thanks Diane thats great. Could it be as I mentioned that the newer cultivated heavenly blue from 30 years ago is more prolific in flowering. My Heavenly Blue is on very good soil. Perhaps I need to put it in poorer soil and not water as much. Is this the solution then ? Does any one else have Heavenly Blue with good results on a sandy loam better soil and how old is your plant? Going back to my first question- has it in fact been over cultivated may be?

Thanks !
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

PDJ

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
I grow Heavenly Blue in a clay soil with a little composted bark as a ground cover plant and it produces a mass of flower.  I think from the condition of other peoples locally the trick is plant and ignore, no fertiliser and plenty of sun.
Paul

West Midlands, England, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal