We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Can anyone ID this snowdrop please?  (Read 1583 times)

YoungNatureLover

Can anyone ID this snowdrop please?
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »
I walked down my garden today to look at all the snowdrops that had come up and noticed one little clump on its own looked completely different to the rest... I was curious to know which type this was as all the others look the same apart from this:

I have spent a few hours online now looking at all the different snow drop varieties but cannot find this one

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Can anyone ID this snowdrop please?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
From the appearance of the flower and from the fact that it is commonly grown in gardens, I would say it is the double form of our most common snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis.  This is named Glanthus nivalis 'flore pleno' (or sometimes Galanthus nivalis forma pleniflorus 'Flore Pleno').  As a general rule you need to see the leaves as well as the flower to identify a snowdrop. 
Almost in Scotland.

YoungNatureLover

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
From the appearance of the flower and from the fact that it is commonly grown in gardens, I would say it is the double form of our most common snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis.  This is named Glanthus nivalis 'flore pleno' (or sometimes Galanthus nivalis forma pleniflorus 'Flore Pleno').  As a general rule you need to see the leaves as well as the flower to identify a snowdrop. 

Thank you very much, Alan.  I shall try to get more photographs of these with the leaves too

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:15:34 PM »
A picture of the leaves would make absolutely certain, but there isn't really anything else it is likely to be. 
Almost in Scotland.

YoungNatureLover

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
I went out with my camera again (sorry about the darkness, the sun was on its way down so had to use flash!)

I came across this one further away from another patch, is this another different one compared with my first photo (it looks different to me but alas I am no expert)

Also, there were some "miniature" versions of these, are these simply ones that will get bigger or do they stay this size?

They are about half the size of the others

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
Without a doubt those are Galanthus nivalis 'flore pleno'.  These can be quite variable in the fullness and neatness of the flowers.  The smaller flowers are probably from smaller bulbs, either recent offsets or too crowded to grow large.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal