We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hamamelis ....  (Read 6440 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Hamamelis ....
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 07:39:39 AM »
Trond,

The three photos of H. virginiana were taken in November.  The shrubs begins bloom in October, before the leaves finish falling, and continue until temperatures go below about -7C (20F).  When the thermometer reads between -2 and -7C (28-20F), flowers shrivel, but rehydrate when the temperature warms.
Thank you Rick. I assumed they were taken in fall. Actually I have one H. virginiana in my garden but it has not flowered yet. I am looking forward to that, of course ;)

Olga, is your picture taken today?
No.  :) October, 6, 2009.

Thanks 8) Wasn't that early for that one?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
Thanks 8) Wasn't that early for that one?
I don't know.  8) It's not mine. Mine is a very young rooted cutting. It's photographed in Moscow botanic garden. Usually autumn hamamelises blooms in November sometimes earlier or later. I don't like Hamamelis virginiana because most of trees blooms with leaves not fallen yet. My favorite is H. vernalis which starts to bloom in the end of February. Flowering shrub in snowdrifts feels like real magic.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
About costs.
I bought one Hamamelis from Esveld nursery
http://www.esveld.nl/planten.php?categorie=heesters&letter=h&group=hamamelis&ppagina=1
It was not more expensive than most of other plants. Unfortunately I received another plant.  :-\  Instead of ruby kind of H. vernalis I received yellow flowered H. x intermedia which is not hardy enough here.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
About costs.
http://www.esveld.nl/planten.php?categorie=heesters&letter=h&group=hamamelis&ppagina=1
It was not more expensive than most of other plants. Unfortunately I received another plant.  :-\  Instead of ruby kind of H. vernalis I received yellow flowered H. x intermedia which is not hardy enough here.
That was a blow!

They are hardy here though and has started flowering. This picture is from today and we have dry, easterly breeze which gives us freezing temperature. I think it is H. 'Pallida'.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »
About costs.

Olga  - If you like vernalis then you shoulkd also try H. vernalis 'Lombart's Weeping'.  It is very difficult to place and not the showiest but if you have a high wall that you could plant it atop and then could walk through the flowers.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:56:44 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »
Olga
Do you find any other Hamamelis than virginiana and vernalis that are hardy enough for Moscow? I have only virginiana and it is nice except that the smell prevents me from taking any twig indoors. I would like to have a scented alternative
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

zvone

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »

And they say it is in every Slovenian...

Wonderful photograph, zvone!

Thanks Rick!

Best regards!   Zvone
Ways, when it is only more beautiful with every next step!

Zvone's links to his blogspot seem not to work anymore - but you can see his photo albums here:
https://plus.google.com/111021317308786555031/posts

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 06:34:29 AM »
Olga  - If you like vernalis then you shoulkd also try H. vernalis 'Lombart's Weeping'.  It is very difficult to place and not the showiest but if you have a high wall that you could plant it atop and then could walk through the flowers.
Thank you John! It's a very good idea. I don't have high wall but I have a high hill where I planted already some pendulous trees. It could be a problem to find that kind of H. vernalis.

Göte, witch hazels are very rare here. I don't know anybody grow them. Only botanic gardens. According to their experience only species H. virginiana and H. vernalis are hardy here. They even produce fertile seeds. No any data on garden kinds.  My plants are too young. Small H. virginiana and H. vernalis grows well but the one I received from Esveld suffers from frost every winter.
I like their smell.  :) May be this time of year any flower smell is a miracle even if it's strange.  :)

Zvone, thanks for fresh images! You bring me a spring when -20C.

zvone

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »

Zvone, thanks for fresh images! You bring me a spring when -20C.

Thanks Olga!

I am glad, that he is such!

But I am an amateur in comparison to you. Every your photograph is work of art.
Really thank you for your wonderful photographs.

Best regards!  Zvone

Zvone's links to his blogspot seem not to work anymore - but you can see his photo albums here:

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
Göte, witch hazels are very rare here. I don't know anybody grow them. Only botanic gardens. According to their experience only species H. virginiana and H. vernalis are hardy here. They even produce fertile seeds. No any data on garden kinds.  My plants are too young. Small H. virginiana and H. vernalis grows well but the one I received from Esveld suffers from frost every winter.
I like their smell.  :) May be this time of year any flower smell is a miracle even if it's strange.  :)
Thank you Olga,
It is a pity that they are not hardier. I will try to plant vernalis in the spring I have found a source here in Sweden.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

zvone

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Göte, witch hazels are very rare here. I don't know anybody grow them. Only botanic gardens. According to their experience only species H. virginiana and H. vernalis are hardy here. They even produce fertile seeds. No any data on garden kinds.  My plants are too young. Small H. virginiana and H. vernalis grows well but the one I received from Esveld suffers from frost every winter.
I like their smell.  :) May be this time of year any flower smell is a miracle even if it's strange.  :)
Thank you Olga,
It is a pity that they are not hardier. I will try to plant vernalis in the spring I have found a source here in Sweden.
Göte

Hi Gote!

Hamamelis in my garden blooms to rules within time of winter (February). Of lowest temperature are occasionally also - 15 C or still any more. Of snow is also to 0.5 metre, sometimes any more, sometimes less.

Of course wonderful bush, that winter atmosphere makes nicer to you on garden.

Best regards!  Zvone

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »
Göte - Have you tried Arnold Promise, many in Canada say it is the toughest one.  Jelena is almost out here. With tonight's heavy rain and tomorrow's +10c I'm sure it will be full out in short order. Quite late this year for some strange reason.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:32:34 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
Göte,

Hamamelis virginiana is strange for several reasons. In the north (and sometimes in cultivation) it apparently has a sweet scent that is akin to the Asian species or even vernalis which is very sweet. The southern forms (often a different name) and west into the Ozarks are scented more like a sea water ??? I find this curious and would think that they attract different pollinators. There is a minute amount of genetic evidence that shows virginiana might be two species. One would need many samples and up-to-date genetics to really determine that. Still waiting to see some genetic evidence supporting H. ovalis.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »

Arnold Promise (H. x intermedia) has been very hardy for 25 years at our Minnesota Arboretum in Zone 4a.  I can remember only once when blooming failed: there was a record low temperature of -38F (-39C) that winter.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »
Thank you Rick and John! I will look for it too. What is the difference from species witch hazels? Smell?
When I looked for images of Arnold Promise found some Diane pictures. It's the reddest of the red!

From http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/hamamelis-diana-pr-1132.html

Is there any red hamamelis hardy enough in my climate?  ???

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal