We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Please, Help! Campanula with no information  (Read 1550 times)

prussia

• Marina
Please, Help! Campanula with no information
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »
Once again, those seeds came from UK. Campanula punctata 'Beetroot'. But when I began to search for cultural information on a plant.

All that my search engine offer to me,

Campanula punctata f. rubriflora
'Beetroot'  and an other couple of links came up with a name of cultivar but not for Campanula.

So, my question is.  Does such species and cultivar actually exist?

If it is a punctata species, and, knowing their habit to take over the World of a flower bed. Have to be careful.  :-\

Life is beautiful no matter what!

Nova Scotia Canada

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Please, Help! Campanula with no information
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

prussia

• Marina
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »
It's listed in the RHS Pant Finder

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/pfregions.asp?ID=138612

I've found Beetroot in a couple of those RHS nurseries. With a very little information. But really, what nursery will tell about an invasive abilities of a plant, they sell?  And again, what is a weed for one is a treasure for another.

But suddenly my gut feeling tells me " Silly woman, do NOT plant Campanula punctata f. rubriflora 'Beetroot' in a Garden. Normally, I do trust my guts.

Sorry people, for bothering and boring you with my stupid question.  :-[

Nova Scotia Canada

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
I think it's a perfectly reasonable question. After all, even if prone to be invasive with some  it may not be with you and it sounds to me ( from your three acres to share with the bluebells, that you could take a little risk..... after all, a campanula called after a vegetable has to be fun, doesn't it? ;)

I'd plant it.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

prussia

• Marina
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »
I think it's a perfectly reasonable question. After all, even if prone to be invasive with some  it may not be with you and it sounds to me ( from your three acres to share with the bluebells, that you could take a little risk..... after all, a campanula called after a vegetable has to be fun, doesn't it? ;)

I'd plant it.  :)

O!No! Now, you breaking my heart,Maggi!  All righty then,  I  guess I could compromise and plant it somewhere out there.

But it would be helpful to hear from someone who actually grow them in a Garden.
Because from what I've read on C.' Bowls  of Cherries'  made me feel very sorry for people who planted them. Poor people.  :'(

Maggi! Bluebells is a different story altogether. They say the fragrance is an incredible! Consider it my crazy project. I'd love to take that smelly risk.  :P

Nova Scotia Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal