We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which geraniums can be taken by cuttings  (Read 1348 times)

newstart

Which geraniums can be taken by cuttings
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
Hi! hope everyones well and happy new year !

I am looking to purchase some geraniums justt now. i wonderd which ones are less than 16" Height which can be taken by cuttings and are hardy.

I did not want to buy ones which require division.

Thanks very much.

David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Which geraniums can be taken by cuttings
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John85

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »
If you have enought space you can grow geranium procurrens.It makes runners a bit like a stawberry.So you don't even have to make cuttings just transplant the runners.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »
David,

When you say "Geraniums", what are you meaning?  Are you meaning the old geraniums that are in gardens everywhere (i.e zonal pelargoniums), or are you meaning the hardy geranium species?  I think of the old commonly called geraniums (i.e Zonal Pelargoniums) as being grown by cuttings, whereas the hardy geraniums are grown by division/runners etc.  Thought I would check.  If you're meaning the zonals, then most of them will grow from cuttings as far as I know.  Some of the hardy geranium species I find can resent disturbance a bit and sulk after division, at least in my climate.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

newstart

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »
Hi sorry about that. I am looking to do the outdoor hardy ones. As you say zonal are well known for cuttings. I think some outdoor ones can be done by cutting. I find I go a bit overboard with divisions. It might be a good idea as John85 says to have one big geranium reserve a space and divide. At least I'd get more from a vigourous type. A really dark pink one would be lovely. Any recommendations and is the cutting idea still possible. Are there any relatively small shrubby ones which could be better fro these purposes?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:49:43 AM by newstart »

John85

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
Geranium sanguineum and his many cultivars are very easy from roots cutting

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »
It's odd to say under 16 inches  ???

You are limiting yourself to sanguineum, cinereum and their selections. A good hybrid is Tiny Monster. In my garden I also have Tanya Randall, farreri, erianthum, platypetalum, libani and libani x peloponnesiacum - not sure of the spelling of the last. It's not Geranium time so I cant think.

You should buy this book. What a deal at £1 plus postage and normally £8
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1845333802/ref=si_aps_sup_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1296649656&sr=8-6&condition=new
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »
David the very tight compact ones like G. cinereum 'Ballerina' popular and often found in alpine sections of garden centres, can be done from cuttings, but they can be more difficult, you have to scrape the stem before you put it into a moist but not wet sandy mixture.  This tip from the national collection holder.  It worked for me, but its a slow process nevertheless.  The national collection holder in Co. Durham usually has an open day once per year, it might be a good idea to visit if you can, she is very knowledgeable and her garden is spectacular.  You will get a good idea of what you are looking for from seeing them all together like that.  Just a thought...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

newstart

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. Great threads too Maggie. I just bought the book Mark, nice recommendation and indeed a bargin. Always the place to look amazon for gardening books I find.

Take care!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:12:45 PM by newstart »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal