We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which animal is a problem in your garden ?  (Read 6107 times)

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
Re: Which animal is a problem in your garden ?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
It's a harmless garter snake that decided to sunbathe right outside our back door. Sure beats having a mousetrap.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 11:45:04 PM »
The snake is lovely, especially with that little tentative smile on his face. :)

Eric, I truly wasn't trying to hit the rabbit. If he's stayed still I would have passed him safely. He brought it on himself. Still, nice that someone thinks I'm an excellent driver. ;D Roger wouldn't agree.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martinr

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Wood Pidgeons, Grey Squirrels, Cats, Rabbits, Slugs.......................but these are nothing compared to the havoc being caused by our new neighbours.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
What on earth? ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
...a new one for me...

We had three riderless horses in the yard today. Saddled and waiting...and munching. Apparently a party was startled by a dog--all riders thrown (one hurt) and the horses took off. We must have looked like a safe place because they stopped here.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
What on earth? ???

Maybe a pixie lot? I tried to get a closer look, but it just became too pixielated!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Roma

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
I thought the roe deer had stopped coming into the garden as I'd seen no damage or fresh hoofprints for a while.  No such luck.  I was away all day yesterday and had not looked round the garden so I do not know if it happened on Friday or Saturday night.  On looking round the garden this morning I did think the 'flowers' on Anemone nemorosa 'Virescens' and A. nem. 'Green Fingers'  had disappeared rather quickly.  I realised why when I noticed every flower and most of the leaves had gone off Anemone ranunculoides had gone.  Anemone nemorosa ( not sure if it's 'robinsoniana' or 'alleni')  right next to the ranunculoides does not seem to have much damage and Anemone nemorosa 'Royal Blue'  quite close to 'Virescens' and 'Green Fingers' looks untouched.  I was really upset when I noticed the top had gone off one of four Fritillaria pallidiflora about to flower.  I went out tonight and put bits of fleece over the favoured plants.  If it comes back tonight I expect it will eat something different.   :( :( :'(   
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Anemone nemorosa ( not sure if it's 'robinsoniana' or 'alleni')

I can never tell the difference between those two either!  :-[

If it comes back tonight I expect it will eat something different.   :( :( :'(   
I thought you were going to say  "if it comes back tonight we'll eat it next week!" :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
Roma we have deer so near us, this morning I was filling the bird feeders and I noticed a deer two feet away from my greenhouse. I have two every morning behind my house grazing but they never come into the garden .Helen and Bill who only live half a mile away from me have had so much damage caused by deer and they have deer fenced there whole garden. I don't know why they haven't come into my garden, maybe the dog or maybe its the noise that the waterfall makes, I am only guessing. I hope they stay away.
Its must be frustrating, we look forward to spring and seeing all our plants pop through the ground brings us so much enjoyment. I hope it was just a one off and they don't come back.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal