We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus February - 2009  (Read 50901 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crocus February - 2009
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »
Somewhere a while back there was a publication which had an article about cultivars of Cr. chrysanthus/biflorus and every one was illustrated. I particularly remember it because it included the exquisite 'Kittiwake' which I had many years ago but no-one seems to have now. Does anyone remember the article? It could have been in "The Garden." I don't get that myself but could have seen it at a friend's house so it would probably have been at least a couple of years ago.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »
Lesley, I think this is the article you remember...
The Crocus chrysanthus – biflorus Cultivars. The New Plantsman 4(1):6-38.
There is an update by B.  Mathew, in 1982. - but I can't find it! 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:19:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2009, 10:59:52 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Graeme Strachan on Today at 04:39:41 PM
Is there a definitive identification book showing photos of the genus Crocus (and their variations) that I can consult so I don't have to bother you good people again? 

This is the best identification site on species   

http://www.thealpinehouse.fsnet.co.uk/crocus%20pages/

And this is the best page on hybrids   

http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/5012/8868.html?1129846074

Diane,
         The pictures of the Hybrids that Thomas took are a great help in identification (Goldilocks v EP Bowles). Presumably the major difference is the colour.

The knowledgeable experts here must have learned how to tell the difference between named crocus from somewhere, presumably from a reference book of some sort. Does this exist?

Graeme
Graeme Strachan in Aberdeen, North East of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
Mmmm, that will be it. I must get my N.I. friend to photocopy it for me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:25 PM »
presumably from a reference book of some sort. Does this exist?
Apart from Mathew's book,which mainly deals with species, there is not much to help with crocus.... in exactly the same way as there are huge gaps for up to date  books on Fritllarias, Narcissus, Iris  and just abut every other bulb...it is one of life's great frustrations.

It is also what makes this Forum such a useful place, because anyone is free to pose their questions here and usually get a sensible answer..... that's not guaranteed, of course!  :D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #350 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »

The knowledgeable experts here must have learned how to tell the difference between named crocus from somewhere, presumably from a reference book of some sort. Does this exist?

Graeme

Graeme I think some of the Crocus people have been growing them for a very long time and back in the dim, dark ages, there were far fewer about so that mix-ups weren't so common as they are today. The first ones I imported from Holland came in the 1960s. The stock available then was correctly named, much closer to their original selectors/breeders than they are today and so easier to ensure correct identification. There were  fewer species about too, as many have been collected in the last part of the 20th century. Likewise, of those that WERE  around, there were perhaps a very few forms, not the wide variation within a species that we see today. Look at CC. biflorus and sieberi or tommasinianus, as examples. There are so many different wild forms as well as cultivated selections. In effect, the oldies among todays gardeners grew up with these, knowing them as well as they knew their roses or old forms of sweet peas.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »

Graeme, my best source of knowledge is the article mentioned by Maggi,
in the New Plantsman, published in 3/1997. All the cultivars are shown
by photo and the list is nearly complete.

Maggi, I will contact you private how we can manage a website within the
forum about all the cultivars I know.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
Thomas,
            Thank you. I am about to try and get my hands on a copy of the The New Plantsman 4:1 1997

To Everybody - Thank you for being so kind in taking the time and effort to respond to my posts.

regards

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:19:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Graeme Strachan in Aberdeen, North East of Scotland

Roma

« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »
Found the pics of crocus hybrids from the old forum most informative, Thomas.  Can you please confirm if the following crocus is chrysanthus  'Skyline' ?  It came as a single corm in a batch of 'Blue Pearl' from Broadleigh a few years ago.  The 'Blue Pearl' has dwindled to small corms with just one flower this year but this is multiplying and flowering well.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »
Thomas will have a good(e) answer I am sure ;)
A Goode thinks your lovely crocus might be a tommy ;D.
I often get asked about 'stray' crocuses .... most of them are tommies!
Joking aside, looking at the side view I wondered if you had a stray Crocus etruscus but seen from above that does look like a Crocus tommasinianus.  It is a lovely form with the feathering on the outer petals and you have done well to get such a super potful. 

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #355 on: March 05, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
Roma I have nothing to add to Tony's comments: Your plant looks clearly like C. etruscus!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
If there is "never any yellow in the throat of a tommie", then Roma's lovely stranger cannot be a tommie, there is certainly some yellow there, it can be seen from above and from the side, I am sure that it is real yellow and not a reflection from stamens....  I vote etruscus!  Nice potful, Roma.  :)

Roma

« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Thank you Tony, Thomas & Maggi.  I will label the pot etruscus and try to remember to examine the corm when I repot.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #358 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:27 AM »
Found the pics of crocus hybrids from the old forum most informative, Thomas.  Can you please confirm if the following crocus is chrysanthus  'Skyline' ?  It came as a single corm in a batch of 'Blue Pearl' from Broadleigh a few years ago.  The 'Blue Pearl' has dwindled to small corms with just one flower this year but this is multiplying and flowering well.
I don't think that this is SKYLINE
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal