We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerium oleander is flowering  (Read 9379 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Nerium oleander is flowering
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »
Come on then Dave, put me out of my misery, what is 'tiki touring'

I have an Oleander in my greenhouse which usually flowers (if somewhat poorly) each year. I have tried it outside in the past but it doesn't like my wet climate at all.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
Come on then Dave, put me out of my misery, what is 'tiki touring'

Well, I think it is unlikely to be the holiday company set up by Thor Heyerdahl, cruising in replica KonTiki craft  ;) ;D

Paul, your swings and roundabouts saying is well used in the UK, too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 03:19:15 AM »
Rightio Arthur

We can't have Mr Nicholson in misery now can we---so my definition of 'tiki touring' is----

someone cruising about in a vehicle with a destination in mind ,but so relaxed it is of no consequence if there are distractions or detours along the way.

I'll paint a picture for you David---canopy down --wind in the face--arm over the side of the car --hair plastered down with hair gel,(brylcreme?)--radio at near full volume playing a song by Lionel Ritchie and the Commodores ...........Wink.

Not sure where the word tiki comes from--i seem to remember a travel company called Contiki tours ,(for the under 30's around Europe ).However that was many years ago --maybe that is the connection.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 03:22:12 AM »
Dave will no doubt correct or add, but my idea of tiki touring is to travel more or less locally, on the off chance that there will be something somewhere, worth picking up/buying/appropriating etc. A sort of "let's see what's around today," in an exploratory way. Quite casual.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:48 AM »
You got there just before me Dave, but I guess the two replies are more or less compatible. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 06:11:47 AM »
From the New Zealand Oxford Dictionary: "a usually extensive or comprehensive journey of inspection etc (went on a tiki tour of all the sites) originating from the name of the tourist company" Origin Maori.

I think Dave is right and it comes from the Contiki tours that were a youth-oriented company which  was started by a young New Zealander named John Anderson who arrived in Europe in 1961 with no companions and very little money. He acquired a minibus, gathered a group of travellers and spent 12 weeks exploring the continent. The informal tour was a hit, and three years later Anderson founded Contiki Tours. It is still going and is only for 18-35 year olds.

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Susan. (Bit old to go on one now!)
Dunedin, New Zealand

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Lionel Ritchie and the Commodores! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :'(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 10:29:46 AM »
and here special for David :

have fun
Hans ;)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
Hans, my Ahhhhhhhhs were meant to represent a shriek of pain. So your links gave me three shrieks of pain ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 02:35:53 AM »
David I heard the echo, those shrieks of pain must have come right down to the Southern Hemisphere.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »
Hans, my Ahhhhhhhhs were meant to represent a shriek of pain. So your links gave me three shrieks of pain ;D

David :

I'm really sorry that I have shoked you with Lionel Ritchie - in case maybe look :

"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:41 AM »
Aw no ---not Mick Jagger !!!.

Now i'm the one with the shrieks of pain.

Ahhhh... !

Hans --how could you !!

Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »
You know, I am SO glad that i resist the temptation to click on links.  Sometimes it really pays off..... like not having to listen to either of those mentioned above!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Hans, you're slightly evil I think..... but in a good way!!!  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:02 AM »
Ahhhh, Mick Jagger - now that's more like it.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 06:52:07 PM »
That's more my scene too Hans ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal