We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium virus, symptoms?  (Read 2332 times)

robsorchids

lilium virus, symptoms?
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »
early this year a hybrid lilium came up with mottled foliage, i was safe and removed it becuase it looked to me like virus, now one of my favorites and only bulb of L.nepalensis has almost the same mottling.

if anyone grows lilies and recognises virus could they please tell me if the photo shows this?
if so i will immediately discard it, but that would be very sad as its my only bulb.

i will take a photo tomorow as i just looked outside and its dark, how time flys...

thanks in advance

rob
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:55:07 PM by Maggi Young »

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: lilium virus, symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »
Rob, our L. nepalensis, in the garden, are just emerging and it is difficultto see the leaves properly yet. From what I can see I could say that there may be slight 'veining' along the leaves but think that this is normal.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »
Doesn't look like virus to me either.

In future you might consider growing a few L. formosanum and then using them as miner's canaries. It will show virus symptoms fairly quickly if sap from a suspect plant is squeezed onto a wound.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:58:32 AM »
Rob,

I grow lilies and I know how the virus look on them. Your sample is certainly infected with virus, I can see mosaic in the leaves. It is easily observed in younger leaves.
But I would like to let you know more information, which I think, will be useful for you for identifying viruses. You can sometimes see that lilies (especially Orientals) show darker veinings (veins look darker) - this is not a virus and caused by lack of ceratin elements in soil. In case of virus the stripes are irregular.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal