We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus April 2021  (Read 4798 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Galanthus April 2021
« on: April 01, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
I remember having a debate some years ago with lapsed forumist Mark Smyth over whether 'Wendy's Gold' produces a second scape.  He said it often does and at the time I hadn't seen or noticed this.  But when I looked around this morning to see if I had any snowdrops left still looking fresh the only ones I found were on 'Wendy's Gold' and I think they are all second scapes.  These must have flowered a good deal later than the first and are still going.

Almost in Scotland.

Cod

Re: Galanthus April 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 12:45:36 AM »
Such a lovely late drop Alan. I must save up for one and see how it does in Kent, ( almost in France).

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:11 PM »
some photos from Dimitri Zubov's cllection in his garden near  Kiev .... " Actual cool April weather accompanied by weak night frosts makes happy my blossoming drops from the evolutionary ancient Platyphyllus clade, here they are!!!"

686150-0
G. krasnovii, Abkhazia, Sakartvelo

G. krasnovii, Abkhazia, Sakartvelo

686154-2
G. krasnovii, Ajara, Sakartvelo

G. krasnovii, Artvin, Turkey
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:50:36 PM »
some more ....
686158-0
G. panjutinii, Aibga, Russia - - not  growing so well in the  garden near  Kiev as  it  did  in Dima's Donetsk garden.

686160-1
G. platyphyllus, Askhi Plateau, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti, Sakartvelo

686162-2
G. platyphyllus, Chanchakhi river - Mamisoni Pass, Sakartvelo

686164-3
G. platyphyllus, Lashipse river - Pyv Pass, Abkhazia, Sakartvelo

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:09:49 AM »
It would be so interesting to try to grow G.platyphyllus here. I have once sown it from bought seeds, but they never germinated (so far):(.

Here are some of my snowdrops from yesterday.
'Wendy's Gold', I divided it last year so that is why only two now here.
'Diggory' is a good doer for me.
PHD33463 is a showy snowdrop with big flowers, but not so tall here.
'Garden Peace' does well, it comes up quite early through snow, but has been undamaged.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:11:47 AM »
'Chantry Dame', I'm so happy that I bought all these special snowdrops before Brexit. Now it would be impossible.
'Merlin', an old one, but good.

Mariette

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 11:20:06 AM »
some more ....

G. panjutinii, Aibga, Russia - - not  growing so well in the  garden near  Kiev as  it  did  in Dima's Donetsk garden.

G. platyphyllus, Askhi Plateau, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti, Sakartvelo

G. platyphyllus, Chanchakhi river - Mamisoni Pass, Sakartvelo

G. platyphyllus, Lashipse river - Pyv Pass, Abkhazia, Sakartvelo

Thank You,  Maggi,  for showing these wonderful variations! The flowers of G. platyphyllus are of adorable elegance, and the green leaves a beautiful contrast!

Leena

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »
More of my snowdrops.
In the first picture is 'E.A.Bowles' on the left (two) and on the right is a seedling from it, with ordinary flower. Nice plant nevertheless and earlier to start flowering than the mother plant.
There is one more seedling in the back middle, which is still too small to flower yet. Maybe next year.

I like poculiform snowdrops :), like 'Moreton Mill'.
Also nice are 'More the Merrier' and a poculiform scharlockii which has a very long pedicel and heavy flower.
In the last picture poculiform G.nivalis from Austria planted last summer. :)

Leena

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 08:08:57 PM »
One more perfect poculiform snowdrop, 'Poculi Perfect'.
The second picture is a snowdrop I have grown from Holubeck seeds sown 2015 and it is flowering now for the first time. It is G.woronowii from Uzugöl, Turkey, and a very nice plant, I think.
The green mark in the inners is quite big compared to the marks in my garden center G.woronowii.
The last small snowdrops is G.snogerupii.

Villu

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 04:36:28 PM »
I remember having a debate some years ago with lapsed forumist Mark Smyth over whether 'Wendy's Gold' produces a second scape.  He said it often does and at the time I hadn't seen or noticed this.  But when I looked around this morning to see if I had any snowdrops left still looking fresh the only ones I found were on 'Wendy's Gold' and I think they are all second scapes.  These must have flowered a good deal later than the first and are still going.

(Attachment Link)    
Hello everyone from Estonia! I've been visiting this forum for many years and admired beautiful pictures and interesting talks! Thank you for that! Also, I've always felt for Leena for being a little alone here with her exciting sharings as the snowdrop season is over for many but just getting started here in the far north. Dear Leena, your posts are especially interesting and exciting for me, as we share the same conditions. Well, maybe I have just a little bit better ones!  ;D  I'll try to share my pics and thoughts with you here and with all others as snowdrops are a big love of mine too!

But first I'd like to reflect on Alan with his findings on 'Wendy's Gold'. Mature bulbs in clumps of 'Wendy's Gold' mostly bare two scapes in my garden. This yellow snowdrop seems to be enjoying Estonian conditions! A couple of pictures ...
687052-0
687054-1
687056-2

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
Hello Villu - great to have  you  join us!! We  look forward to learning  more  of the   plants  you grow in   Estonia.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 06:55:12 PM »
Tere Villu! I had booked onto a Greentours trip to Lahemaa and Saaremaa for July last year which of course could not go ahead, so I had to stay at home and make myself a Porgandipirukas instead! I look forward to seeing your images. Ole tubli!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Tristan_He

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »
Welcome Villu! You grow 'Wendy's Gold' very well.

Best wishes, Tristan

Leena

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 07:36:37 AM »
Also, I've always felt for Leena for being a little alone here with her exciting sharings as the snowdrop season is over for many but just getting started here in the far north. Dear Leena, your posts are especially interesting and exciting for me, as we share the same conditions. Well, maybe I have just a little bit better ones!  ;D  I'll try to share my pics and thoughts with you here and with all others as snowdrops are a big love of mine too!

Hi Villu, and thank you! :)
Your conditions and climate are a bit better than here  :), but luckily snowdrops are mostly so tough plants. They are my favourites, too, and though our season here is much shorter than in more south, they still bring spring and joy with them. There is nothing like seeing snowdrops emerge from snow (even though they as as white as snow) in spring.

Your 'Wendy's Gold' grows very well indeed! With me it has been more difficult than for instance 'Spindelstone Surprise' or 'Primrose Warburg', it seems it is more demanding to soil,
and AlanB suggested that adding lime to the soil might help, because my soil is acidic, and I think it has helped.
Is your soil more basic or acidic? I think the soil in Estonia has more lime in it, am I right?

Leena

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 07:10:29 AM »
Some more snowdrop pictures before they are over also here.
An unnamed G.plicatus I got from a forumist and it has grown well, and I like it. It is a compact plant and very nice, and distinct in my eyes.
'Bambino' (from Woodchippings), planted last summer. I haven't found any information of this in books.
'Diggory', always a favourite
'Primrose Warburg' grows well here, very similar to 'Spindlestone Surprise' (in the back), and they flower at the same time but PW comes up just a bit earlier.
'Midas', is so cute.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal