We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 13662 times)

Mariette

Re: April 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »
For me everything looks spectacular in the spring, including the 'weed' A. amurense :)

Thank You Gabriela, but in this case it actually proved to be a weed! Some years ago I found many seedlings under a clump of trillium and potted them. This is what they turned out to be.

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2021, 06:43:09 PM »

1. Aethionema subulatum. Like many plants in my garden, this Turkish alpine is two weeks behind schedule compared to last year.

2. Glandora oleifolia (syn. Lithodora oleifolia). This is a species from the Spanish Pyrenees, where it is apparently very rare. It slowly increases by underground suckers – with emphasis on slowly. Does anyone grow the related G. nitida? This is similar in habit but with much more silky, silvery leaves and even brighter blue flowers. I would love to try that one.

3. Veronica armena. One of the earliest veronicas in the garden and easy in a dry, sunny spot.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:32:33 PM by Andre Schuiteman »

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »
Looking good, Kris-- love the Astragalus!
Leena-- I have a couple Corydalis poking up now, not much yet..
Gabriela- I had P mistassinica from west of here for a while in some pots I sunk in winter, they seem to be each short lived, and I think they may have faded away, as some other things in the pots grew too much..
Andre--that Aethionema is lovely!

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2021, 02:26:47 AM »
Looking good, Kris-- love the Astragalus!
Leena-- I have a couple Corydalis poking up now, not much yet..
Gabriela- I had P mistassinica from west of here for a while in some pots I sunk in winter, they seem to be each short lived, and I think they may have faded away, as some other things in the pots grew too much..
Andre--that Aethionema is lovely!

I also grew P. mistassinica in a large container for a while Cohan, but I realized it would like more space to self seed and so I planted it in a naturally wet area in the garden.
Even in the wild it grows mostly by itself (or with other small size species), so it makes sense yours didn't like to be overwhelmed by other plants.
Otherwise, it is quite easy, super hardy and it flowers very fast.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2021, 07:36:40 AM »
Couple more Corydalis, pictures last night in the last sun.
Corydalis cava seeded among Paeonia obovata.
The other picture is Corydalis cava alba, though not white but creamy colour.
Nameless white C.solida in evening sun.
Leena from south of Finland

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
My personal highlight this week... Townsendia spathulata  "Cotton Ball"

Leucogenes

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2021, 08:36:43 AM »
Fantastic photos...Andre. I am totally fascinated by Glandora oleifolia. I don't know it yet and will try to get hold of some seed somehow. Endemic species are a special passion of mine.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Tomte

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2021, 09:19:23 AM »
I am totally fascinated by Glandora oleifolia. I don't know it yet and will try to get hold of some seed somehow. Endemic species are a special passion of mine.

Strangely, I have not seen it set seed in the many years I have seen it in the botanical garden in MUC. However, it‘s apparently quite hardy as I have a small plant which thrives despite the rather harsh winter conditions in our garden. If you remind me again in autumn I may be able to send a rooted sucker  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:49:48 AM by Tomte »
Tom S.
Upper Bavaria close to Munich, on 700 m

Leucogenes

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »
Strangely, I have not seen it set seed in the many years I have seen it in the botanical garden in MUC. However, it‘s apparently quite hardy as I have a small plant which thrives despite the rather harsh winter conditions in our garden. If you remind me again in autumn I may be able to send a rooted sucker  ;)

Servus Tom

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I will try to keep it in mind. Even if I am a bit shy in this respect.😉

The flora of the Pyrenees is home to some really gorgeous species.

Tristan_He

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
The cold weather means it's a slow old spring, but the trees and shrubs are starting to come into leaf.

689003-0

A nice red form of Acer palmatum (probably 'Atropurpureum').

689005-1

This has made quite a substantial tree over the years. I have decided to plant a few more Japanese maples, this recently planted one below is 'Beni Kawa'

689007-2

The willows are in full flower.

Salix helvetica

689009-3

...and S. hastata.

689011-4

Tristan_He

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »
Two native Cardamines.

689013-0

Cardamine / Dentaria bulbifera. Beautiful...

689015-1

...but very invasive, it spreads rapidly by rhizomes and bulbils, I spend a fair bit of time controlling it these days. Oddly this is a rare native in Britain.

On the other hand, Cardamine pratensis, the cuckoo-flower is very common in the wild but no trouble in the garden. Here it is self-seeding around the pond. It also pops up in the meadow areas and has been steadily increasing. I like it not only because it's pretty but also because it is the foodplant for the orange-tip butterfly.

It gets its common name because it flowers at the same time the cuckoos arrive back from Africa, and this year the timing is right on cue.

Tristan_He

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
689019-0

A few other things in flower. Geranium phaeum 'Samobor'

689021-1

Lathraea clandestina is late this year but flowering well.

Fritillaria acmopetala, only planted last year so we'll see how it does longer term. It's a more striking plant than I was expecting.

Colchicum leaves in the damp meadow area. I know these aren't to everyone's taste but I think they really add something.

689027-4

Ranunculus aconitifolius is a lovely plant for a border or a damp meadow area. The double form is commoner in cultivation but I am not a fan of double flowers in general, both because I don't like the look of them and because most of them are useless for pollinators as the nectaries and anthers are replaced by petals. This isn't at its best yet, the flower stems will lengthen giving an airier appearance, but at that stage it becomes very difficult to photograph!

ruweiss

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2021, 09:09:18 PM »
Thanks to all the photographer for their lovely pictures,
let me add some pictures from the house and the garden:
Lewisia is a seedling from last year
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
Fantastic photos...Andre. I am totally fascinated by Glandora oleifolia. I don't know it yet and will try to get hold of some seed somehow. Endemic species are a special passion of mine.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I have to echo Tom in saying that I have never had seed on this plant. I will go out with a paint brush and try to pollinate it by hand. That said, I have also never seen seed in the common Glandora diffusa (usually called Lithodora diffusa), and yet I have had seedlings coming up from time to time.

Leucogenes

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »
I have to echo Tom in saying that I have never had seed on this plant. I will go out with a paint brush and try to pollinate it by hand. That said, I have also never seen seed in the common Glandora diffusa (usually called Lithodora diffusa), and yet I have had seedlings coming up from time to time.

Thank you for the detailed information...Andre. The Glandora nitida you mentioned is really beautiful. Maybe someone here in the forum actually knows sources of supply for it...I would also be interested in it.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal