We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus 'Eling'?  (Read 1163 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Galanthus 'Eling'?
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:16:54 AM »
I am asking this question in an attempt to aid Debby Horsman who has found this snowdrop, Galanthus 'Eling' amongst the collection of her late friend, Viv Kirby, but knows nothing about it.  Has anyone come across Galanthus 'Eling' and can say anything about its origins?  The only reference we can find to it is in an account of a talk given by Kevin Hughes to the Dublin Group of the AGS here: http://alpinegardensociety.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/AGS-Newsletter-67-Winter-2017.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3XjjMGxKnukr2RNVrcizW9OOZkfnVVsXiEStjl4u0EjU21oVoXMBJI_p0 .  I presume this is likely to be the Kevin Hughes who has taken over Cally Gardens but I do not know him by sight so I cannot tell from the photograph at the beginning of the article.  So far attempts to contact that Kevin have not borne fruit.  I would be grateful for any information anyone can offer.

Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus 'Eling'?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:58:44 PM »
It is the same  Kevin Hughes that now owns Cally  Gardens.   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus 'Eling'?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks, Maggi; that's one step forward.  I understand that Kevin used to work at Spinners Nursery and Eling, the place, is about 20 miles away so that might account for the name.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal