We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2021  (Read 15309 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: Trillium 2021
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2021, 05:01:50 PM »
They are lovely.  I read that they are native to swampy areas in the southeastern U.S.

What are your garden's conditions?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2021, 05:13:39 PM »
Trillium pusillum is growing in full sun in a slightly raised bed that has a lot of compost incorporated in it.  It gets a fair amount of moisture from a small boggy area near by, where Epipactus gigantea is trying to take over the world.  Fritillaria camschatcensis and various trollius grow nearby.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2021, 11:46:03 PM »
GordonT  - My southern land here in Nova Scoitia is covered in T. undulatum.  They are almost impossibles to dig, you dig down sometimes 30cm through moist or dry duff through an entanglement of tree roots and find nothing but a ridiculously long Trillium stem.  The bulb itself is sitting atop wet mud, roots often covering the mud or deep down.  They grow in sun to partial sun due to the wetter climate and the fog belt, not so many in shade.  A stinker to place properly so better to grow by seed and let them do their own thing.
johnw

I'm still hoping that one year you make the effort to collect seeds from this beauty John. It is a pity not to share with the world :)

The clump of T. pusillum with wavy petals it is gorgeous!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
Lovely Trilliums, and thank your for sharing the special growing conditions, Claire and John.
Leena from south of Finland

GordonT

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2021, 11:26:34 AM »
I'm still hoping that one year you make the effort to collect seeds from this beauty John. It is a pity not to share with the world :)

Gabriela, I have collected Trillium undulatum seed for the exchange in the past few years, sharing it with both the SRGC and NARGS Seed Exchanges, and plan to collect seed again this year. I will send you some if you wish.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Gabriela

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2021, 11:25:56 PM »
Gabriela, I have collected Trillium undulatum seed for the exchange in the past few years, sharing it with both the SRGC and NARGS Seed Exchanges, and plan to collect seed again this year. I will send you some if you wish.

I would be delighted to get some seeds Gordon, thanks very much.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2021, 03:25:19 PM »

Gordon - Realize it's a 3 hour 45 minute drive to that land.  If you get the timing wrong - and it's different every year - then the 7 hour drive was in vain.  If I luck out then no problem.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2021, 06:11:02 PM »
Today it was sunny weather.

Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum has endured snow and hail balls. My hand shows how big the flowers and the leaves are.

Trillium pusillum var. pusillum
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »
Trillium ovatum changes color as the flowers age.
Belgium

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2021, 11:44:59 PM »
Very glad you put your hand in that pic, Herman.  I never would have known how huge that Trillium is!  Very worthy of it's name!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Gabriela

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2021, 12:13:06 AM »
Today it was sunny weather.

Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum has endured snow and hail balls. My hand shows how big the flowers and the leaves are.

Trillium pusillum var. pusillum

You have the most impressive Trillium clumps Herman!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2021, 12:22:40 AM »
Gordon - Realize it's a 3 hour 45 minute drive to that land.  If you get the timing wrong - and it's different every year - then the 7 hour drive was in vain.  If I luck out then no problem.
johnw

True is a long drive John, but maybe it can be combined with other hikes/sightseeings.
Regarding the seeds maturation timing - I am not familiar with this species, but for Trillium grandiflorum and T. erectum I noticed over the years that regardless if we had an early or late spring, the capsules are ready around the same date every year/for a given locality.
So, for large populations where not all plants flower exactly at once, even if you are +/- 1 week out of schedule, you will still find some seeds.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »
Rick and Gabriela thank you. A lot of Trilliums are growing well in our garden. I hope it stays this way. Clumping is not always from one plant sometimes there are a lot of seedlings on the same place.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2021, 07:22:07 PM »
Trillium cuneatum

Trillium freemanii
Belgium

Tristan_He

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
I like T. freemannii Herman. Is it recently described? Not heard of this one.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal