We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dryad Nursery Snowdrops and Narcissus Ebay Listing 2021  (Read 6291 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Dryad Nursery Snowdrops and Narcissus Ebay Listing 2021
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:45:07 AM »
I’m happy to announce that our ebay sales will begin next week, however, I’m very sad to say that we will only be able to post to England, Scotland and Wales, following Brexit. I know that many of our customers will be disappointed, but until we can find a satisfactory way of getting orders needing CITES certificates outside mainland UK, we are severely limited.
Our listings will start with our Dryad Gold snowdrops, which are the first in flower of the cultivars we have potted for sale this spring. These are flowering well in pots at present, but still hunkering down in the open garden. I brought some indoors for photography today – the smell of honey was almost overpowering in the warmth.
The Dryad Golds are not only superb garden plants but they are also wonderful in pots for cold glass or conservatories, many of the varieties being compact growers. They will not suffer being grown in pots, as is sometimes suggested for snowdrops.
I repot my potted snowdrops every year – you need to with the Dryad Golds as they multiply so quickly and as a result I will be offering multi-nosed bulbs to ensure you get a large clump as soon as possible . Make sure the compost is well-drained, and give liquid feed after flowering.
If you are bringing them indoors for flowering, put them back out as soon as the flowers fade, making sure they are somewhere where the pot will not freeze (such as a cold greenhouse). I try to keep my glasshouses just above freezing on very cold nights, even though my clay pots are plunged in sand. Free standing pots will need a little more protection.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
Re: Dryad Nursery Snowdrops and Narcissus Ebay Listing 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:52:59 PM »
Our first listings of 2021 are now live!
To open the 2021 season, we are offering a selection of our classic Dryad Gold yellow snowdrops. All these are sought-after and admired for their vigour and fast increase, and multi-nosed bulbs are offered so you will rapidly have a wonderful clump to brighten your winter garden.

I’m also delighted to offer a bulb of Galanthus Eilys Elisabeth Hartley. All proceeds from this will go to The Ally Cadence Trust for Spinal Muscular Atrophy, the charity which helps families affected by the disease suffered by Eilys, after whom the variety is named.
Please read her story in the listing and bid for her snowdrop. It is a wonderful variety, the earliest green tipped snowdrop we grow (not including G. reg-olgae) and has been in flower now for almost a month. We only have one available this season.

All the bulbs will come with the required Plant Passport.
IMPORTANT– I can only ship to England, Scotland and Wales due to new regulations following Brexit. Please do not bid unless the shipping address is in one of those 3 countries.

You can find our listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Good Luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:47 AM »
FINISHING TONIGHT!
Our first listings of 2021 finish tonight, offering a fine selection of our signature Dryad Gold snowdrops:

Dryad Gold Sovereign – my all-time favourite and the earliest yellow in our collection
Dryad Gold Charm – large flowers on a shorter plant, shorter and broader leaves.
Dryad Gold Bullion – probably the fastest increase of all the Dryad Golds, compact plants and very free flowering
Dryad Gold Nugget –short and sweet, curvy rounded flowers with a chartreuse inner mark.

Last, but not least, to go with our earliest yellow is our earliest green-tipped snowdrop Eilys Elisabeth Hartley - beautifully rounded flowers displaying 3 tones of green on the same flower. All proceeds from the sale will go to charity, and we have only ONE this season. Please read the story behind the name and bid generously.
You can find our listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Please remember, we can only post to England, Scotland or Wales.
Thank you for bidding, and good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:38:48 PM »
In our listings tonight – a great spread of our classic Dryad Golds :

Dryad Gold Charm with its elegant long buds

Dryad Gold Sovereign – the nursery favourite and earliest yellow with long, large flowers

Dryad Gold Medal - slightly later with full, more rounded flowers

Dryad Gold Ribbon – another slightly later variety with the largest inner mark in the group

All the Dryad Golds are multi-nosed ‘clumps-in-waiting’ for instant impact.

A distinguished supporting cast includes:

Anglesey Aurora - Originating at Anglesey Abbey, this variety is noted for its peach colouring in bud, this tint fading as the flowers open. The handsome flowers are large with a long ‘claw’ and dark green inverted V on the inners, with a paler green blotch above. The outer segments are attractively ridged.

Galanthus angustifolius - I obtained this from a friend who had it from Eugenijus Dambrauskas at Augis Bulbs in Lithuania. It is a small snowdrop, the leaves very short at flowering time. The flowers have a dark green inner mark with a very narrow bridge, while the ovary is olive green. This plant is NOT the commonly offered narrow-leaved form of G. nivalis. I cannot verify the identification, but am offering this as seen and described in good faith.

The Bride - A beautiful poculiform variety of G. elwesii – all segments the same length and with no green markings. Broad leaves typical of G. elwesii. Not often offered.
Schorbuser Irrlicht - Introduced by the well-known German galanthophile Hagen Engelmann, this is a colour-change G. plicatus cultivar (the name means Will o' the Wisp), the flower opening with green markings which change to yellow over the first few days. Rarely offered. Read about this variety here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2015Feb261424987169IRG62.pdf
IMPORTANT– I can only ship to England, Scotland and Wales due to new regulations following Brexit. Please do not bid unless the shipping address is in one of those 3 countries.

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
Finishing tonight – a quartet of our Dryad Gold yellows :

Graceful, long-budded Dryad Gold Charm
Extra early, large flowered Dryad Gold Sovereign
Full-petalled Dryad Gold Medal
and Dryad Gold Ribbon with the largest inner mark.

As well as the yellows, we offer two other unusual cultivars with a different colour interest:
Schorbuser Irrlicht – with inner marks going from green to yellow, and
Anglesey Aurora’s peachy buds.

The Bride will be your choice if you prefer purest white

Lastly, for those who prefer to grow the species, the diminutive Galanthus angustifolius is a rare treat.

IMPORTANT– I can only ship to England, Scotland and Wales due to new regulations following Brexit. Please do not bid unless the shipping address is in one of those 3 countries. Beware of other sellers who offer to send to the EU without the proper paperwork!

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:40 PM »
While we wait for the other snowdrops to catch up, our listings for tonight are mostly Dryad Golds, so now is your chance to add these to your collections with no distractions!
The selection consists of most of our shorter Dryad Golds, which are wonderful in containers, troughs, raised beds etc AS WELL AS in the open garden.

One of our more diminutive Dryad Golds, Dryad Gold Star is a beguiling little snowdrop with relatively large flowers which open like drop-earrings from long buds, displaying an inverted heart on the inners. Only 8cm high at start of flowering, the blooms display well above short spreading foliage at flowering time. Planted in the open, the clump will glow bright gold in the winter sun. Excellent for pots and containers, though equally happy in the open ground.

Dryad Gold Charm has one of the longest flowers - newly opening buds are shaped like large, long teardrops. This dwarf-growing variety is especially suitable for pots and containers, although equally happy in the garden. Slightly larger in all its parts than Gold Star. The bulbs are also larger, vigorous and increase well.

Dryad Gold Bullion flowers later, and shorter than Gold Sovereign. This more compact cultivar shares the same vigorous habit, bulks up very rapidly and is very free flowering.

Dryad Gold Nugget begins to flower at only 8cm high. The shape of the flowers is compact and rounded, and the inner mark is chartreuse, contrasting nicely with the yellow ovary.

Dryad Gold Ingot is probably our most requested of the Dryad Gold series. Ingot is a perky little snowdrop with shapely rounded flowers displaying well above short foliage at flowering time, this has been much requested because of its striking colouring – a yellow ovary and green inner segment mark which makes it, in effect, a reverse 'Blonde Inge'. The deeper green inner mark often bleeds into a yellow zone towards the base.

Finally, we offer Don Armstrong, a beautiful Canadian poculiform selection of G. elwesii. Six pure white segments of equal length, with no green markings. Flower opens widely in warm weather. Rarely offered.

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
Finishing TONIGHT!
The first Dryad Gold Star of the year makes an entrance, with dainty flowers and narrower leaves.
Dryad Gold Charm is a slightly bigger and beefier version of Dryad Gold Star, with all its parts appearing more robust.
Dryad Gold Bullion is our little racer of snowdrops, bulking up very fast.
Dryad Gold Nugget has petite and rounded flowers with a chartreuse inner mark.
Dryad Gold Ingot has a neat habit and a deeper green inner mark, often bleeding yellow towards the base.
Finally, the true poculiform Don Armstrong makes a rare appearance.

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »
In tonight’s listings we are excited to offer the first of our Dryad Myths and Legends series of inverse poculiforms this year, with the stars of the show being the much-requested Dryad Demeter and Dryad Echo. Only one bulb of each of these two varieties has been released before.

GALANTHUS DRYAD DEMETER has solid virescent characteristics, more oil paint than watercolour! Demeter is the Greek goddess of agriculture and vegetation (also known as Anesidora, sending gifts up from the earth). In the ancient Greek religion of Hellenismos she is associated with the colour green. I believe this snowdrop redefines the notion of virescent. The outer segments are prettily flanged at the edges, white with a solid emerald green mark reaching almost to the base, and with a notch at the apex. The inner segments are all green with a narrow white rim and narrow sinus.
It is a mid-height snowdrop growing to about 16cm high under glass. Leaves are short at flowering time, displaying the erect flower stems beautifully. The bulbs increase rapidly. The multi-nosed bulb offered is a DIVISION of the original.

GALANTHUS DRYAD ECHO is named for the beautiful Nymph of the woods and mountains, cursed to repeat the last words she heard. Much like Narcissus and his pool, this is a snowdrop you could gaze at endlessly!
Echo is a heavenly, statuesque and imposing snowdrop, easily recognised by a mysterious pale ‘echo’ spot above the dark green mark on the outers, and a corresponding pale mirroring of the dark inverted V on the inners. It is honey-scented, vigorous and increases well here. 
It is a worthy companion to Demeter, Artemis and Venus. As usual, we offer a multi-nosed ‘clump-in-waiting’.

DRYAD GOLD RIBBON is for once in a supporting role in our listings, although never in the garden where it will command your attention. Similar in height to Dryad Gold Sovereign, though a little later in flower and with a larger yellow inverted heart on the inner segments, the flower is also more rounded. It has the largest inner mark of all the Dryad Gold group. It has always been singled out by visitors because of its prolific flowering and very upright habit.

The rest of the cast are not our own seedlings, but a diverse range with hopefully something for all tastes.

The last for this season of the lovely poculiform THE BRIDE, and the peachy-toned ANGLESEY AURORA open the show, along with the charmingly petite species snowdrop GALANTHUS ANGUSTIFOLIUS.

For lovers of the species, and I am also a fan, we also have another tiny treasure in GALANTHUS TRANSCAUCASICUS , with glossy deep green leaves, which frame the beautifully shaped little flowers hanging from a long ovary, and with a delicate mark on the inner segments. It makes a superb specimen in a pot, but should be perfectly hardy. Very rarely offered for sale, I only ever have a few in stock. It naturally makes small bulbs.

The rare hybrid GALANTHUS KOENENIANUS X FOSTERI has leaves strongly ribbed on the undersides as in its seed parent. The elegantly shaped flowers have inner segments with a dark green ‘bridge’ over the sinus, and a lighter green mark at the base. It is short growing and compact, but increases well. Very rarely offered.

Always popular, RONALD MACKENZIE needs no introduction – the highly sought-after yellow form of G. gracilis, with double yellow marks on inner segments, and characteristic twisted leaves. Galanthus Ronald Mackenzie is always much in demand because it is so rarely offered, and never in any quantity, due to it not being the easiest to grow. The multi-nosed clump offered tonight will give you a good start and instant impact.

One of the features I always like in snowdrop flowers is the lovely crinkly texture of the outers on, for instance, Diggory. A new variety offered here for the only the second time, G. plicatus KERA, has corrugated flowers in a wonderful balloon shape. It is shorter than Diggory, and its plicate leaves unusually tidy and upright. It is a seedling sent to me from Estonia, and was bred by Taavi Tuulik from the cultivar 'Suur Tilk', which itself was bred by Sulev Savisaar.

Finally, for tonight, the totally mad G. reginae-olgae subsp. vernalis MISS ADVENTURE never fails to raise a smile in its crazy attempts to become an ipoc. The neat flowers with variable outer markings hang below a white spathe streaked with dark green as if it had stolen part of a South Hayes and not known where to put it. Short and sweet - if you want a talking point, this is your lady!

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 11:50:39 AM »
Finishing tonight – an unusually wide variety of forms and colours of snowdrops.

Our second only offerings of the stunning DRYAD DEMETER and subtly alluring DRYAD ECHO in our Dryad Myths and Legends series of inverse poculiforms gives you a very rare chance to add these remarkable varieties to your collection.

In the yellows, bold DRYAD GOLD RIBBON vies with the tricky but beautiful RONALD MACKENZIE to bring a spark of gold to your winter garden.

THE BRIDE in pristine white, and the peachy tones of ANGLESEY AURORA extend the colour range, while for textural interest you could choose the new Estonian variety, KERA.

For connoisseurs of the pure species, we offer dainty GALANTHUS TRANSCAUCASICUS and GALANTHUS ANGUSTIFOLIUS, and the primary hybrid GALANTHUS KOENENIANUS X FOSTERI, with its distinctive ridged leaves.

Finally, madcap MISS ADVENTURE will charm with streaks of white in unexpected places!

This is a great chance to increase the range of interest in your collection from this wide variety of flowers.

As usual, you can find our listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
After many requests, I am delighted to offer our much-admired inverse poculiforms DRYAD VENUS and DRYAD ARTEMIS in our listings tonight. Only one bulb of each of these two varieties has been released before.

DRYAD VENUS has curvaceous, shapely flowers with a flirty frill around the outer segments on mature flowers. The mark on the outer segments is shaped like an inverted heart with an inner segment mark of a deeper green 'X' or kiss. With such a ravishing, sensuous shape and markings the only fitting name was Venus, as the Goddess of Love and Beauty.
Dryad Venus is a mid-height snowdrop growing to about 20cm high under glass, probably shorter in the open, and is delightfully scented. It can multiply very rapidly, a single bulb sometimes splitting into 10 or more offsets.
As if all this wasn’t enough, Venus hides a special secret - she carries yellow genes, having Wendy's Gold and Corrin as parents, so will be useful in breeding for yellow inverse poculiforms.
Already this year, we have had three new yellow ipoc seedlings from Venus hand-fertilised with Dryad Gold pollen, but it would be worth putting pollen of any yellow cultivar onto her. You will have a good chance of your own yellow ipoc seedlings in 4-5 years from seed. Take advantage of me doing the hard work for you! It is so exciting to see the yellow outer marks on the first bud – I would love for you to feel the same thrill. If you ask me nicely, I will even pollinate the open flower for you with some of our Dryad Gold pollen.
On offer tonight is a clump-in-waiting with NINE shoots and two flowers.

DRYAD ARTEMIS is a beautiful and elegant lady with neat and graceful flowers and an upright habit, much admired. It is a mid-height to tall snowdrop growing to about 20-30cm high under glass, probably shorter in the open. 
It is vigorous and increases well. Artemis was the goddess of chastity and the hunt, and the sleek shape of the plant and purity of the crisp, dark green markings of the flower is a tribute to those qualities, while the inner mark is reminiscent of an ancient Greek bow. The icing on the cake is the delicious scent.

GALANTHUS VART - First time offered
We are excited to introduce a new range of double snowdrops from Estonia which will be offered in the UK & Europe for the first time by Dryad Nursery.
The varieties have the stamp of that great plantsman Taavi Tuulik who bred and developed the range in Estonia, along with the excellent Estonian Spirit range grown and introduced by Dryad Nursery.
Double snowdrops are an often-overlooked area of growing and really special new varieties have been in short supply, one thinks of only Mordred and Betty Hansell. To address this need we will be launching the best of these new varieties over the next year or two.
Taavi chose to name the series after Estonian birds. There are varieties with wonderful inner markings, quite distinct amongst the doubles and those with elongated inner petals like Berthtille, which give them a petticoat appearance.
Eventually we will release 6-9 of these stunning new varieties making a major addition to the double snowdrop varieties available to discerning collectors. 
Taavi's own notes on the group:

Galanthus Estonian Birds Group created by Taavi Tuulik fom hand pollinated seeds using Galanthus nivalis ’Flore Pleno’ as a male parent. The crossings were made in open garden 2007-2008 and were not fully controlled. Female parents were:
G. plicatus from Crimea (’Kaur’, ’Sõtkas’, ’Vart’)
G. plicatus from Krasnodar region, Russia (with all-green inner segments) (’Kakk’, ’Meltsas’)
G. elwesii var. elwesii from Turkey (Dutch export) (’Tihane’, ’Tikk’)
G. elwesii var. elwesii from abandoned garden in Hiiumaa, must come from the NW Black Sea coast (’Lagle’, ’Ristpart’, ’Tutkas’)
mixed plants G. elwesii and G. elwesii x nivalis – from abandoned garden in Hiiumaa, G. elwesii must come from the NW Black Sea coast (’Aul’, ’Kiur’,’Luik’, ’Sabatihane’, ’Siisike’, ’Vutt’)
From ca 200 bulbs during their first flowering 2012-2015 16 were with double flowers.

GALANTHUS VART is the Estonian for Greater Scaup (Aythya marila).
It is a very regular double snowdrop flowering at about 15 cm high with 3 outers and a neat whorl of inner segments which have a single mark. The plicate leaves are upright and about half the height of the flowering stems at flowering time. A beautiful new addition to the somewhat limited existing range of double snowdrops.

DRYAD GOLD INGOT – our second offering of this much-requested cultivar, sporting a yellow ovary and green mark, on a compact, sturdy plant.
ANGLESEY CANDLELIGHT - Originating at Anglesey Abbey, this variety is another noted for its peachy colouring, this time on the inner segments as the flower opens, the tint fading as the flower matures.
The handsome flowers are large with a very long ‘claw’ which displays the markings on the inner segments well. These are a small inverted rounded V at the apex, and a broad horizontal stripe near the base, which sometimes separates into two ‘eyes’. The outer segments are attractively ridged.

SIMPLY GLOWING - From Alan Street, a strongly virescent snowdrop in which the green, especially on the inner segments, is tinged with gold, giving the impression of a sunny glow to the open flowers. The outer segments are shaded and streaked with apple green, except for a striking white patch at the tips, while the inner segments are a similar shade, fading to yellowish tones towards the base.

Finally, to complete a wide selection of colours and forms, we have the last of the true poculiform DON ARMSTRONG, the always popular yellow gracilis, RONALD MACKENZIE, and the last of the little true species G. ANGUSTIFOLIUS.
I hope you find something to tempt you!
Find the listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »
Finishing tonight – another wide variety of forms and colours to choose from.

The star of the show is the ravishing DRYAD VENUS – beautifully voluptuous flowers with a heart on each outer segment. Venus regularly produces ‘mother bulbs’ with multiple offsets, and is also the mother of yellow inverse poculiform seedlings, when crossed with a yellow partner. Ask if you would like me to pollinate the flower with Dryad Gold pollen if you are the winning bidder.

The sleek flowers of DRYAD ARTEMIS provide a wonderful contrast, with clean-cut, deep green markings on the outer segments.

A new introduction for this year, we also have the first bulb of double snowdrop VART – one of the Estonian Birds series, which has pretty, regular double flowers on a neat plant, the low leaves splendidly enhancing the flowers.

Our yellow snowdrops this session are the beguiling DRYAD GOLD INGOT and the scarce RONALD MACKENZIE. True poculiform, pure white DON ARMSTRONG brings a quieter charm, while a subtle peachy glow is at the heart of ANGLESEY CANDLELIGHT.

SIMPLY GLOWING is our first virescent of the season, with its inner glow of golden green.

Our last plant of G. ANGUSTIFOLIUS for the season completes the selection.

I hope you find something to tempt you!
Find the listings here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dryadzny/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »
Our miscellany for tonight starts with our final DRYAD DEMETER of the season – a final chance to add this stunningly distinctive plant to your collection.

The second DRYAD ARTEMIS is in attendance, to add her clean-cut charm, and a third inverse poculiform (but not of our breeding), Rannveig Wallis’ CORRIN is a customer favourite and not often offered.

Our poculiform for this session is the delightful ALAN’S TREAT – a beautiful and distinctive green-tipped semi-poculiform snowdrop. The three outer segments are washed with green along the apical half, while the inner segments are elongated until almost as long as the outer segments, with an arc of darker green next to the sinus.

Our yellow offerings tonight include our LAST RONALD MACKENZIE, and our signature gold DRYAD GOLD NUGGET, she of the yellow ovary and chartreuse mark.

To keep our these company, the first of our Estonian Spirit yellow snowdrops takes the stage tonight: ESTONIAN SPIRIT GROUP clone Käina 2007/3.
The Estonian Spirit Group of snowdrops were discovered by renowned Estonian plantsman Taavi Tuulik in abandoned gardens and woods in Estonia and named as part of the Spirit family due to their pale, ghostly coloration and residual presence in abandoned or secluded areas. 
As a group they are distinct by their generally compact stature, very pale leaves and ethereal colouring of ovary and inner mark – a very pale creamy yellow. A distinctive and outstanding diminutive form of G. nivalis, and a very different treasure for your collection.
Although appearing delicate, they are tough customers used to harsh Estonian winters. They do very well and flower freely on our raised sand bed.
Leaves are very pale glaucous. Flowering height approximately 6cm. The flower hangs on a long pedicel from a curved spathe. Rapid increase, flowers well.
Our second Estonian Bird double also takes a turn. LAGLE is named after the Estonian for Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis).
It is a very fine double snowdrop flowering at about 16cm high with usually very regular flowers with 3 outers and a neat whorl of inner segments which have a double mark, the two marks often joined together. The leaves are upright and about half the height of the flowering stems at flowering time.

The interesting neat hybrid WILLIAM LOUIS is a little-known but attractive snowdrop, a cross between G ikariae and G. elwesii with deep green erect leaves, and well-shaped relatively large flower for the size of the plant. The cupped outer segments give the flower a rounded appearance. The inner marks are a dark green V over the sinus with a narrower ‘bridge’, and two pale green diffuse ‘eye’ spots at the base.
Finally, our last SIMPLY GLOWING brings down the green curtain.

Good luck!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »
Finishing tonight – unmissable last chance for DRYAD DEMETER – our final plant for this season. This is the one to confound those people who think all snowdrops look the same.

DRYAD ARTEMIS and CORRIN give you alternative choices of ‘ipocs’, the former tall and slim, the latter shorter and plumper!

If you are a fan of true poculiforms, and also of virescent snowdrops, then ALAN’S TREAT will give you both for the price of one.

The yellow section is represented by DRYAD GOLD NUGGET, RONALD MACKENZIE, and our first ESTONIAN SPIRIT GROUP – whose very distinctive and ethereally pale flowers and leaves combine so effectively.

The new double LAGLE with its compact habit and neatly double flower is the contribution from the ESTONIAN BIRDS series.

The very attractive WILLIAM LOUIS brings deep green leaves and showy flowers, and an interesting hybrid parentage.

Lastly, SIMPLY GLOWING with its all-over green wash and tidy white tips.

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 09:40:46 PM »
Tonight’s EBAY listings include two of our sought-after Myths and Legends series – DRYAD VENUS and DRYAD ECHO.
DRYAD VENUS has curvaceous, shapely flowers with a flirty frill around the outer segments on mature flowers. The mark on the outer segments is shaped like an inverted heart with an inner segment mark of a deeper green 'X'.
Dryad Venus is a mid-height snowdrop growing to about 20cm high under glass, probably shorter in the open, and is delightfully scented. It can multiply very rapidly, a single bulb sometimes splitting into 10 or more offsets.
As if all this wasn’t enough, Venus hides a special secret - she carries yellow genes, having Wendy's Gold and Corrin as parents, so will be useful in breeding for yellow inverse poculiforms.
Already this year, we have had three new yellow ipoc seedlings from Venus hand-fertilised with Dryad Gold pollen, but it would be worth putting pollen of any yellow cultivar onto her. You will have a good chance of your own yellow ipoc seedlings in 4-5 years from seed. Take advantage of me doing the hard work for you! It is so exciting to see the yellow outer marks on the first bud – I would love for you to feel the same thrill. If you ask me nicely, I will even pollinate the open flower for you with some of our Dryad Gold pollen.
On offer tonight is a clump-in-waiting with FIVE shoots and THREE flowers (although note: I just accidentally nipped the third flower off its stalk while moving the pots around….I’ll put it in with the rest of the plant).
DRYAD ECHO is named for the beautiful Nymph of the woods and mountains, cursed to repeat the last words she heard.

Echo is a heavenly, statuesque and imposing snowdrop, easily recognised by a mysterious pale ‘echo’ spot above the dark green mark on the outers, and a corresponding pale mirroring of the dark inverted V on the inners. It is honey-scented, vigorous and increases well here. 
It is a worthy companion to Demeter, Artemis and Venus. As usual, we offer a multi-nosed ‘clump-in-waiting’.

JOSIE, our third inverse poculiform, is a scarce and delightful small inverse poculiform, seedling from Trym and sister to Trimmer, named by Bob and Rannveig Wallis. Short growing and compact, with plicate leaves. Not often offered.

Our yellow collection this time is a varied group:
DRYAD GOLD INGOT is probably the most requested of the Dryad Gold series. Ingot is a perky little snowdrop with shapely rounded flowers displaying well above short foliage at flowering time, this has been much requested because of its striking colouring – a yellow ovary and green inner segment mark which makes it, in effect, a reverse 'Blonde Inge'. The deeper green inner mark often bleeds into a yellow zone towards the base.

DRYAD GOLD STANDARD
The Gold Standard established a benchmark and guarantee of quality and value and this snowdrop is a worthy inheritor of the name. A medium-tall, imposing variety with large bulbs, it has fine, large bell-shaped flowers, the incurving outer segments make them gently ‘quill’ into a point at their apices when mature. The large bulbs clump up quickly.

The ovary is shorter than Gold Sceptre and most of the rest of the group, and the pedicel longer. This has been one of my favourites since its first flowering.
This is only the THIRD bulb offered so far of this cultivar, and a triple-nosed ‘instant clump’ with three flowers.

ESTONIAN SPIRIT GROUP ( Taavi’s garden seedling)

As a group, the Estonian Spirit snowdrops are distinct by their generally compact stature, very pale leaves and ethereal colouring of ovary and inner mark – a very pale creamy yellow.
Although appearing delicate, they are tough customers used to harsh Estonian winters. They do very well and flower freely on our raised sand bed.
For those few growers who already own some of these delightful little plants, this clone is one that arose in Taavi’s own garden in 2008. Flowering at 7-8 cm high under glass, the short, pale, glaucous leaves compliment the elongated flower with pale yellow ovary and inner mark which is a narrow ‘bridge’, grading to a slightly deeper olive-gold at the apex. The mark sometimes will break at the top of the arc to produce a double spot. It increases rapidly.

MOTHER GOOSE A somewhat mercurial snowdrop which at its best is an eye-catching plant with a green ovary and deep yellow inner mark. The yellow mark, however, can be green in some seasons. Most of my plants have been a good yellow, but other growers have suggested that the offsets give the best colour while the main flower has the greatest risk of being green. This phenomenon is shown in the plant for sale – the primary flower being green-marked (although yellow-washed), while the second and third flowers are a good yellow.
The flowers display well above fairly low foliage at flowering and increase well. MULTI-NOSED bulb offered for instant impact.

MOSES BASKET Another temperamental snowdrop, named for the unusual shape of the opening flowers in which the tips of the outer segments come together at their tips, making a basket shape. Over the five years we have grown it, I have never experienced the true shape in potted plants, but in those I planted in the garden last year, all the flowers have performed their party trick. I recommend that you plant yours out in the garden. The fully open flower often features a rather angry, scowling pair of light green ‘eyes’ above the dark green apical inverted V .The plant offered is a division of our original one.

VART is our final listing for this session - the second plant of the new ESTONIAN BIRDS series, named after the Estonian for Greater Scaup (Aythya marila). It is a very regular double snowdrop flowering at about 15 cm high with 3 outers and a neat whorl of inner segments which have a single mark. The plicate leaves are upright and about half the height of the flowering stems at flowering time. A beautiful new addition to the somewhat limited existing range of double snowdrops.

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:19:38 AM »
Finishing tonight – three very different inverse poculiforms, no less than four variations on the theme of yellow, a rare new double and a rather singular eccentric.

Our very special DRYAD VENUS leads the way, not only very beautiful, but also promising a treasure trove of seedlings to come. Mysterious DRYAD ECHO follows close behind, attended by the petite JOSIE.

The yellow corner features one of our newest Dryad Golds, DRYAD GOLD STANDARD, along with customer favourite DRYAD GOLD INGOT. The ethereal ESTONIAN SPIRIT seedling adds a ghostly presence, while the capricious MOTHER GOOSE will keep you on the edge of your seat each year!

New double VART will reward your close inspection with its neat rosette centre, and dancing about madly in the rear is the quirky MOSES BASKET, sure to catch an inquiring eye with its idiosyncratic flowers.

GOOD LUCK!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal