We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33210 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Galanthus in February 2018
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
Spot the interloper.

Yes, its my first ever "Trym seedling".

It looks quite pretty but much like all the others. 
Almost in Scotland.

David Lowndes

Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Alan, what are the others? G. plicatus anything?
Nice to have that happen. I’m waiting for a couple of seedlings to flower to see if earlier promise confirmed. Not holding my breath though.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
David, the surrounding snowdrops are (mostly) descendants or clones of ones that I was allowed to collect from my local churchyard in 2003  (although there is something else sandwiched in there too).   Back in those days when I knew very little about snowdrops but I was attracted to these ones by their broad leaves but relatively short stature at flowering time.  They proved to be vigorous and need lifting and dividing every 3 or 4 years to prevent overcrowding.  They serve as my snowdrop pioneer; I plant them in new beds in the garden to see if they will grow; perhaps their roots carry some beneficial fungus, who knows?  They seem to be mainly plicatus but they had the time and opportunity to incorporate some nivalis genes before I got them.  They occasionally produce flowers with two receptacles fused together and extra petals but it's too infrequent to be noteworthy.  They also need quite warm temperatures to open so mostly appear as drops.  No name.

Ideally the seedling would have the vigour of its (presumed) mother but that remains to be seen.  It seems to have lost the broad leaves that she has.
Almost in Scotland.

David Lowndes

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »
I have some plicatus which I bought at a neighbor’s gate down the road about seven years ago. They were labelled as subsp. Byzantinus but the inner segment mark shows them to be subsp. plicatus. They are very vigorous
and I often move them to unpromising place where they always thrive.

I’m hoping this photo is attached. These are in a half barrel in their third year with the other stuff.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:58:28 PM by Maggi Young »

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:38:25 PM »
This morning's patrol in bright sunshine and enjoying the return of the master.

The very best virescent, in my view, Morgana is back. Ticks all the boxes of beauty, robustness in the garden and rapid bulking. All three of my clumps are increasing well. One bulb I lifted in the summer was the size of a snooker ball. I also understand that Andy Byfield will have some later in the year. Not to be missed.

A second virescent from Andy as a contrast, Andrea's Fault. Very different, particularly the deepness of the inner green. If this turns out to be as garden worthy and robust as Morgana this could, supplant it in my view.

Two key virescent drops for the collectors.

Another of Andy's this time a green tip, Goatee Green Tips. Lovely shape to this and very distinctive.

Finally, another of Andy's Whiter Than White. I love this drop, brilliant white with very deep green markings. Garden hardy and increases well.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:03:23 PM »
Since you mention him, a reminder that Andy Byfield will be giving a talk entitled "Into Colchis on the Trail of Wild Snowdrops" at the AGS event at Lilleshall this coming Saturday (3rd February).  According to the AGS web site there are still a few tickets remaining for this event. 
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »
Hi Folks,
   Here is an 'ordinary' sandersii looking good in this morning's sunshine...
It is a better yellow than some of the 'premium' ones!
It'll need to be lifted this year, far too crowded!!

Tim DH

David Lowndes

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
You’re right on all counts Tim. I grow ‘Ray Cobb’, ‘Lowick’ and ordinary ‘sandersii’ and, to be honest...
They’re all fairly vigorous though.

David Lowndes

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
Since you mention him, a reminder that Andy Byfield will be giving a talk entitled "Into Colchis on the Trail of Wild Snowdrops" at the AGS event at Lilleshall this coming Saturday (3rd February).  According to the AGS web site there are still a few tickets remaining for this event. 

I’m planning to go to this. Just raided the ATM!

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
The sun certainly enhances the yellows - here's Dryad Gold Sovereign basking. I wasn't basking at that temperature!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
It is a better yellow than some of the 'premium' ones!

Since you mention this, a reminder that David MacLennan will be giving a talk entitled "Holding a National Snowdrop Collection" at the AGS event at Lilleshall this coming Saturday (3rd February).  I am reliably informed that one topic he will cover is the different colouration of different yellow snowdrops.  Tickets still available.
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
In contrast, under glass the yellows can look greener. Here's a seedling from Spindlestone Surprise x Wendy's Gold. I'll plant it out and see what it's like in the open.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 04:44:02 PM »
Snowdrops with eyes crop up in all sorts of crosses - this little chap flowered today.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Richard Nutt's Green-leaved hybrid (such as a snappier name) other than what is in The Book? It is apparently thought to be a hybrid between woronowii and rizehensis.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Lowndes

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
I grow it and have chipped it. It’s vigorous and attractive. I got it from Colesborne. No other name as far as I know. Richard Nutt presumably knew what he was growing?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:19:24 PM by David Lowndes »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal