We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris-2012  (Read 37264 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Reticulate Iris-2012
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
Wim

You must be basking in warmer temperatures than us - mine are only now poking through the soil.

Nice selection
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »
Wim

You must be basking in warmer temperatures than us - mine are only now poking through the soil.

Nice selection

That's the advantage of living at the Flemish Riviera, Arthur  ;D
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
An iris zagrica from bulbs bought at the sale of some of Jim Archibald's stock at the 2010 AGS Fritillaria Group meeting.

Alex

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
Very nice, Alex. Lucky to be able to have these reminders of Jim. 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »
A refined beauty Alex.  Would you say that it needs more protection than reticulata forms?
I. zagrica seed I received from Kurt Vickery last summer is germinating now.

Less exotic but one I like: Iris 'Clairette'
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Roma

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
A few irises pictured on Sunday

Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin' outside in the snow
Iris histrioides 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'
Iris reticulata 'Pauline' which I won in the raffle at Dunblane
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ronm

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
'Clairette ' is very nice Ashley. A subtle beauty to it I would say. Sometimes when I'm looking to buy, the bold, 'look at me' plants take my money, but then, in the garden, plants like this keep me enthralled for longer. ;) :)

ronm

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
Lovely Iris, Roma. Do they cheer you up during these winter days as they do me? I'm afraid I love to look into these beautiful flowers ( for perhaps an unhealthy length of time!) and try to imagine 'why?' have they evolved to this state of beauty. Who are they calling out to?  :) :) :)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
'why?' have they evolved to this state of beauty. Who are they calling out to?  :) :) :)

Pollinators ;) ;D

ronm

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
Pollinators ;) ;D
 ;) But what subtle difference if only for pollinators. If you want to attract a Macroglossum stelleratum, or a Big Bird, then why bother to change slightly  from your family which has been succesful. So many colour variations, so few pollinators!

ronm

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »
Can 'Clairette' be grown as per the other Reticulatas please Ashley? We grow a number of them in an outdoor raised bed, uncovered all year round and they do very well. Do you think this one would be the same? Thanks.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
........We grow a number of them in an outdoor raised bed, uncovered all year round and they do very well.... ............

It must be your drier climate Ron. I've lost count of the times I've started with a batch of ten bulbs or so and the following year finishing up with two/three if I'm lucky.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »
I'm amazed David, :o :o. I never gave any thought to the fact that this could happen. The raised beds I made are really perfect drainage and grow these, Junos, Frits, Crocus, Daffs, Lilies, Scills, Muscari, Tulips, etc. Only the common ones of course. Didn't realise it but maybe we're very lucky.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
Pollinators ;) ;D
 ;) But what subtle difference if only for pollinators. If you want to attract a Macroglossum stelleratum, or a Big Bird, then why bother to change slightly  from your family which has been succesful. So many colour variations, so few pollinators!

Very true Ron.  Indeed for an avowed rationalist/atheist like myself it's hard to understand why we perceive so much of nature as beautiful :)

Yes here 'Clairette' does fine outdoors under the same conditions as straight reticulata cultivars.  Its other parent I. bakeriana also holds its own outdoors, although my few plants from a commercial source look virus-infected this year so must be culled :'(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:56:35 PM by ashley »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »
Pollinators ;) ;D
 ;) But what subtle difference if only for pollinators. If you want to attract a Macroglossum stelleratum, or a Big Bird, then why bother to change slightly  from your family which has been succesful. So many colour variations, so few pollinators!

Very true Ron.  Indeed for an avowed rationalist/atheist like myself it's hard to understand why we perceive so much of nature as beautiful :)
Perhaps rationalist/atheists like you (& me) cannot help but look at nature as if it had been purposefully made by an intelligent being or an artist even though, rationally, we think it has not.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal