We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012  (Read 60984 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2012
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
A very good yellow in your svetlaenae Ron !!

Another well deserved WOW Hans !!

I found Iris rosenbachiana "Harangon" flowering today !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ronm

« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
That's a lovely suprise for you then Luc! ;D ;D. Mine are a way off yet. :(

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
Lovely plants Ron and Luc.

A couple more of mine today:-

Iris tubergeniana, nice and short, ideal for the limited amount of greenhouse space I can give to Junos.
Iris warleyensis an awful lot taller than my first one and possibly a bit etiolated.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
David are your pots in a plunge?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »
Very nicely done David  ;D ;D. Beautiful plants both. Are you 100% on the I.tubergeniana ? I  ask because I have been dissapointed on a number of occasions with misnames. Yours looks good to me but its hard from a picture.
By posting your picture of I.warleyensis, I think you may have answered a question I will pose tomorrow. ??? ??? ??? Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:09:00 PM by ronm »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
Ron, many thanks,  as far as I know it's correct. It came originally from Peter Taggart and if anyone knows his Irises it's Peter. I posted it last year and noone commented.

Dave-no they're not plunged. I grow them in large Rose Pots in plasic trays- with a bit of grit for them to stand on- on the floor of my greenhouse in the two places I have gaps in the staging. Not ideal conditions as they are a bit cramped and those on the north side of the greenhouse, which is quite heavily shaded by a fence and tall shrubs, do struggle for light. If I were to grow them properly I'd have to give up growing lots of other things.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
Thank you David. Great provenance! ;D ;D ;). I have failed to aquire this species on a number of occasions. Its a beauty! 8) 8)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
Well done Mr. N. they look smashing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

PeterT

« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »
Ron, many thanks,  as far as I know it's correct. It came originally from Peter Taggart and if anyone knows his Irises it's Peter. I posted it last year and noone commented.

Thankyou but there are people here who know these Irises better than I. I just like to grow as many as I can manage. However Tony Hall did confirm the identity of my plants of I tubergeniana, the fringed crest is one diagnostic feature for it.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
..........Tony Hall did confirm the identity of my plants of I. tubergeniana, the fringed crest is one diagnostic feature for it.

And David's photo  I. tubergeniana 2 shows that feature very clearly, doesn't it.... one can almost "feel" it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
seems that spring is coming  ;D... at least .....
thank's guys for all this pictures of so nice species... and hybrids. I'd like to see more from your growing conditions, i.e. greenhouses, frames ... ???
thank's for sharing  ;)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Lars S

« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
My iris rosenbachiana is just putting up its nose in my outside sand bed but spring is still lingering here so I guess it will take a while until I can hope to see any flowers. Also iris sari and iris acutiloba are showing a little leaf.

I ordered some seeds of iris and corydalis from Jan Jilek this autumn but it took a while before they arrived. I´m hoping for a good germination later in spring
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

ronm

« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
I bought this two years ago at a small local fair. It was marked as 'Blue Juno'. It was a small plant, I estimated perhaps a two year old seedling. I also bought a few 'Yellow Juno' (turned out to be some decent looking I.bucharica ), and some 'White Juno' ( I.magnifica). As they were only £1 each I didn't really care what they were. The lady on the stall said here husband grew them , and she didnt know anything about their history. It got badly frozen in its pot last year, but still tried to put out a flower, but this was badly deformed. This year its doubled and has about 5 flowers coming, and a couple on its offspring. Trouble is ... what is it? ;D. At first I thought rich coloured I.vicaria, but then started to see I. warleyensis. ???. Now I've convinced myself that someone has been dabbling with a paint brush and I've got a 'mongrel'. :'( :'(.  If it is then it can go in the auction Maggi.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:14:37 AM by ronm »

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
No idea what it is but I like it!!

Here is I. hippolyti today.

Alex

ronm

« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
Very special Alex,  :o ;D. Any specific growing tips for this one? please.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal