We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 2133 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: October in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 12:39:51 AM »
Thank you for the tip! I have Allium wallichii, which flowers in September here, and it has been hardy now for several years. It was grown originally from seed.

I also love autumn colours, but this year they are not very good here, possibly due to warm and wet September.
First frosty nights have come. The first picture is from one morning last week.
Rest of the pictures are from today. Asters and yellowing leaves of Ranzania japonica and Glaucidium palmatum.

Thank you, I didn't know about A. wallichii Leena. Beautiful pictures, same about the colors here. Due to a few colder nights, it seems more changes are happening right now. Glaucidium is looking just like yours color wise.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 12:45:39 AM »
You still have a lots of flowers Mariette!
Crosus speciosus is also starting here and then C. banaticus will follow shortly. They are always the last flowers of the season in our climate, so I am always happy to see them and on the same time sorry knowing the long winter will soon arrive.
717157-0
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2023, 03:12:55 PM »
Beautiful pictures! :)
Here autumn crocuses have also been up almost all October, but it is too cold for them to open the flowers properly. So even though they live unlike autumn snowdrops, and even multiply, they are not as good gardenplants as Colchicums here. Temperatures have been little above zero and now it is below zero, but no snow yet. It will rain later this week, so winter is not yet here. :)
Colchicums are over, at least almost.
Most of my asters have also been damaged by cold, but 'Little Carlow' is surprisingly hardy and still flowers well.
Leena from south of Finland

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 05:36:11 PM »
Last photo with Aster is pretty nice. They glorify the garden very late in autumn.
North of France

Mariette

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2023, 07:17:11 PM »

Crosus speciosus is also starting here and then C. banaticus will follow shortly. They are always the last flowers of the season in our climate...

I´m surprised to learn that Crocus banaticus is the last to flower with You, Gabriela! In Germany, it´s usually said to come  next after Crocus kotschyanus, which starts the autumnal season. Clones flowering in November are rare treasures.

Crocus ligusticus ´Millesimo´should flower in September, but just opend today. Once I had big clumps of this crocus, but they were killed in a severe winter. This one popped up several years later, maybe a seedling or a corm dislocated by rodents.

Leena, it´s nice to have a perfect aster so late in the season! Here, they are all wilting now, perhaps because they start earlier for us. Having lost many varieties, I´m quite happy with my chance seedlings, here growing alongside the garden path two weeks ago.

The flowers of Tinantia  erecta are not showy, but I like the shape of this annual in the shadier spots of the garden.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 12:35:02 PM by Maggi Young »

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2023, 09:20:14 AM »
Thank you Yann and Mariette. :)
Also here most of my asters are over now, 'Little Carlow' is still looking good, and also another small flowered one, Aster shortii.
Perhaps small flowers do better with cold nights and rain.
Mariette, your asters look really nice! I also have some grown from seed, but mine seem to be too spreading, with roots.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 09:21:58 AM by Leena »
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal