We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ field trips - December 2010  (Read 10615 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: NZ field trips - December 2010
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
though this approach isn't helping with seed of R. godleyanus, which germinates and dies in the same millisecond (or so it seems)?   :D

It happens with me too Cliff, the cotyledons getting a yellowish patch in the centres then the whole damn thing dying away. UNTIL I DISCOVERED a product called Plantmate which I'm sure you'll find anywhere in the horticultural world now, under one name or another. It contains the NZ fungus Trichoderma which we've discussed elsewhere on the Forum from time to time. I bought it for my lettuces which can get that thing called sclero...?somthing and this stuff prevents it totally. In fact my lettuces are just about taking over my whole veg garden.

So I'm trying the Trichoderma stuff just a small pinch at a time, in seed pots where things are reluctant to grow on to a size which can be handled and it works a treat. R. godleyanus makes nice little plants which can soon be potted and I'm adding the Trichoderma to those too. It's supposed to be watered on, this form of it anyway, but I just sprinkle a pinch in the planting hole and BINGO!

It's working well with tiny seedlings of quite difficult plants that I'm introducing to my crevice troughs, where the planting space is too small for a hole, just easing the tiny roots in with a small pinch of Trichoderma and watering in. The little plants are catching on and establishing in no time at all.

If you can't find it, let me know, I'll send a packet.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »
Superb information, Lesley ... many thanks.

http://www.ecogrowth.com.au/Datasheets/Mates_broch_ScreenRes.pdf

I must now search for this product over here (any other growers using it?) and I will report back to the forum.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 05:49:20 AM »
please do report back, cliff, i'll be very interested to hear!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal